Your TASCAM 788 songs

jackson_pollock

Hi,i need some help here.
I have the option to buy a working tascam 788 for 50e ,is it woth of it?
I tried to search but came out with few samples of its recording quality.
Did anyone used it and can please post some?
Thanks.

Yes!

Ok, I've not used the 788. I've heard the sound quality & it's quite good.

The 788 is not being sold at rock bottom prices because of poor sound quality. It's not as modern data import/export due to no USB functionality. Instead, it has a SCSI interface and is intended to hook up to it's own dedicated CDR recorder. It records up to 6 tracks simultaneously @ 24-bit/44.1kHz resolution. It has 1/4" inputs which require XLR transformer adapters, no XLR inputs or phantom power.

The 788's features are not as slick or up-to-date as more modern offerings from Tascam. Keep in mind you'll either have to get the CDR788 to export data, or use S/Pdif I/O or analog Line Outs to output either digital data or analog mixes, respectively.

For 50E, $69.50 USD, it's a steal.
:spank::eek:;)

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for your reply.
I' ve heard a good song made with 788 by Sam Lunsford but the other demoes i found seem to have a stange noise on high frequencies(digital clipping?).
Maybe is better to change the question: how does 788 perform compared to 2488? I've heard good things from the old 2488.
Keep in mind that i would use it as mere recorder/player,digital effects and heavy editing just aren't for me.
Sure 50 euros is a deal,but not for a dust collector.

If there's distortion on the recording, I wouldn't blame the recorder. I've heard some awful stuff done on the 788 that was end-to-end clipping. I've also heard some incredible stuff.

Pretty much anything this guy did was great: (B.SABBATH) https://homerecording.com/bbs/search.php?searchid=552409
Here's something by B.SABBATH I fished out of the list, above: http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1322&alid=-1
B.SABBATH used the 788.

The 788 menu and interface is very similar to the 2488. The 2488 generation and machines going forward have USB. The 788 & 2488 both record at 16 and 24 bit, and I've heard the sound quality is virtually the same on both.

I think you may be nit picking or looking for flaws in the 788 that will only cost you 50€. I don't see any. I think it's a steal. The most cumbersome part of the 788 is the SCSI interface to the dedicated plug-in CDR788 for importing/exporting data, not the sound quality. The technical obsolescence had driven prices way down, but it's still very competitive sound quality. The 788 came with a factory recorded demo song on the hard drive. That pretty much shows the quality you can get.

If USB connectivity is important, and it's a very handy feature, skip the 788 & get the DP02, 2488Neo or DP24.

:spank::eek:;)

Last edited:
Grab it. That's a great deal. The sound is fine on it. For that price, I'd buy one just for the hell of it, even though I used to own one, moved to the 2488, and now record in my PC.

But as far as hearing good or bad recordings done on a particular machine, that's a horrible way to assess it. 99% of what you hear, good or bad, will tell you more about the person who made the recording than it will about the machine.

Back