Your steps to editing a fresh .wav

K54

I was wondering what you guys would usually do to a freshly recorded track and what order (if it matters) to get it sounding like 'da sheeit'. Vocal, guitar, whatever. Things like compression, noise/hiss reduction, normalization? Should I even be worrying about each track at this stage or wait until the mixdown/producing stage?

I don't normalize and would only use noise reduction (plug in type) on a track as a very last resort. I listen to a track in great detail to locate any clams or anything I feel needs attention. If there are any, I'll copy/cut/paste/slide what ever I have to until I'm happy with it. Then I'll drop a volume envelope on the track and use it to mute quiet sections, do fades, whatever. When I have all tracks nice and quiet, all the starts and stops lined up, the bass lined up with the kick, etc I send all the tracks back to the HD24 to mix.

I agree with Track Rat, I don't normalize or use noise reduction. Also agree that you need to make sure the track is "clean." Otherwise, as he says, copy/cut/paste, overdub or re-record as required.

After that I usually don't do anything further to the track - except to set a rough volume level - until I have all my tracks recorded. EQ, for example, at this point without all the tracks present is a waste of time IMHO. (Although at times I might add compression at this stage if I have a very uneven track.)

The only real difference I have from TR's approach is that I save my volume envelopes until I have all the tracks. I do a lot of vocal harmonies, and to get the right balance among the voices requires them all to be present.

Thanks for the help guys. I learn something new everyday. :)

I'm new to the game and my equipment isn't too hot. All I have at the moment is an electric guitar, a mic and a soundcraft spirit folio 6 chan mixer which I am using only as a preamp for both. I've got a compaq presario and am using whatever the hell soundcard that came with that. Which brings me to my next question....

Is there some kind of formula for finding the optimum input level for recording? or is it experience or trial and error? I've been using Cool Edit Pro and have found that when I record a track and play it back on it's own, the playback level seems sweet and comes through loud and clear without clipping. When I add the rest of the tracks that individually sound good as well, the over all mix playing back clips. Is this due to my shit hardware, cool edit or recording levels?

On the side, I've chucked up my first 2 mixes I've done if you want a listen. Nothing really written more so made up quickly just to test and get all my equipment working. You'll notice a bit of clipping and distortion. Have heaps of new things to try from reading these forums when I get back home. Work sucks I'd rather be home lay'n tracks.

anyway....

You will probably have to right click on the links and select 'Save Target As...'
first one
second one

K54 said:

Is there some kind of formula for finding the optimum input level for recording?

On Cooledit you get some input meters that show Cooledit's view of the incoming data. You can trust them -- stay as far over to the 0db end as you can without hitting the clip light.

As to getting clipping when adding tracks together, if you are recording your tracks anywhere near to reasonable levels, and then putting them up in mutitrack view with each channel on 0.0db (or higher), and the master fader is on 0.0db, then it will clip. It's adding up to a level that's over 0db. Internally, Cooledit can store and represent this fine, but it can't put it out of the soundcard like that :)

You need to either work by backing off individual channels (use the faders as mostly cut-only), and keep the master around 0db, OR you can let the signal build up, and bring the master fader down to compensate. Watch the level meter on playback in multitrack mode, it will show you if you've clipped on output.

As long as the tracks themselves aren't clipped, clipping at the mixdown stage is fixable by backing off a bit.

Mike.

Back