your opinions on this Ebay guitar...

If you're looking for a "beat-up Fender Mustang" I think you've found it. It's a real Frankenstein. His $450 doesn't seem inconsistent with others like it but you have to be sure it's still solid and playable. I'd email him with lots of questions regarding working parts, neck & fret condition, etc. Early Mustangs can fetch over $1,000 easy but this one seems to have been ridden pretty hard.

rpe

ez_willis said:
Personally, I'd never buy a guitar without playing it first.

Aren't you the one always bitching about the shitty tone your plastic Epi LP produces? Did your rule not apply in this case or were you just deaf that day?

Do you have alot of experience w/ Mustangs? The reason I ask, is that lots of strat players assume they feel and play the same(or close), but the reality is that they feel and sound totally different, and IMHO the necks are way out of my comfort zone. I guess what Im trying to say, is that just because it is a cool looking vintage fender, dont assume that its gonna be a playing machine.

Flamin Lip said:
Do you have alot of experience w/ Mustangs? The reason I ask, is that lots of strat players assume they feel and play the same(or close), but the reality is that they feel and sound totally different, and IMHO the necks are way out of my comfort zone. I guess what Im trying to say, is that just because it is a cool looking vintage fender, dont assume that its gonna be a playing machine.

Amen. Having said that, I want a music master or a bronco so bad that it hurts.

My main guitar is a crappy Fender Musicmaster. I'm used to playing frankenstein fugly guitars.

Thanks everybody for the help.

jonnyc said:
Aren't you the one always bitching about the shitty tone your plastic Epi LP produces?

Yup.

jonnyc said:
Did your rule not apply in this case?
I played it before I spent the $90 on it.

I see your point though. I guess I should rephrase my response-

Personally, I'd never spend $850 on a guitar that I haven't played, especially if I plan on using it more than a couple of times.

Better?

Spin Doctor said:
My main guitar is a crappy Fender Musicmaster. I'm used to playing frankenstein fugly guitars.

What year is it? How much did you pay for it? Sorry for the questions, I just love those guitars.

The lot seems pretty genuine. He clearly states what the guitar's about, its drawbacks, etc. It's always interesting to look at the sellers buying/selling history (in this case, he's never sold anything, isn't a big spender on Ebay and appears to be some kind of engineer judging by the items he's bought, so probably knows a bit about what he's doing. I think any questions would be answered quite honestly, and asking about its playability was a good point made earlier, since he's clearly had the thing apart.

Not so sure about the eagle on the back, but otherwise, it's a pretty nice looking axe (in that Mustang way).

Nice looking neck wood!

I personally don't think it's worth $850.00.

It's a refin, the headstock decal is gone (and what's up with that stencil job?), neck pickup apparently has been replaced, and I'm not sure what's up with that "mono/stereo" switch (or the non-original jackplate and knobs for that matter).

I know that the prices of these things have gone through the roof, but this thing is in nowhere near original shape.

I'd pass unless you can get it on the cheap (and by that, I mean probably around or under $300.00...which I still think is too much, but that's just me).

I dont care what the market value for Mustangs and Duo Sonics has gone up to.... I still have them categorized as guitars to only buy in a steal sittuation, or if you play them in person and they are "special"(not gay..... but great feeling/sounding :) ).

I bite my tounge about generalizing that they are univerally poor players, as I have seen some kats kill on these guitars, but my direct experience has been uncomfortable neck.... bad intonation.... and the trem assembly is poorly designed.

if it goes for under 400 then i say do it, but it is old so it might not play that well....that and that stupid paint job on the back would help me walk away from that sale....
but i am a HUGH sucker for old fenders

I agree that the mustang is nice to look at but shitty to play. It's an alright guitar but it's a pain in the ass set intonation and (at least for me) was just way to small to comfortably play. and I never thought they sounded all THAT great...

but damn they look cool... :D

32-20-Blues said:
What year is it? How much did you pay for it? Sorry for the questions, I just love those guitars.

I think it's a 78 and I payed about $200 for it about ten years ago. It was ugly... And I made it uglier. It was covered with stupid punk rock stickers. I took them off, spray painted it black and purple, and added a humbucker in the kneck position.

Yeah, I destroyed its value, but it is still my fave guitar to play at shows.

Back