Votes: 39 54.9%
  • Amp sims sound really fake, gotta mic a real amp

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • I use amp sims just for fun or messing around, but not for anything serious

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • I use V-amp/Pocket POD kinda things

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters
Like a lot of others, I don't have a full-on studio to be able to mic up my Marshall stuff. I've used NI Guitar Rig and Amplitube but my go-to amp sim is most definitely is Scuffham's SGear.

I have amplitube 3 with a few of thier amps (have the free version and picked up a couple add ons like one of the orange heads and the soldano slo). I also have revalver mk 3.5 (only full version amp sim I have purchased), a light version of guitar rig and pretty much all the free stuff that is floating around (lepou, ignite amps).

I have a toneport (running podfarm 2), and I'm borrowing a line 6 pod HD400 at the moment to see if I want to snag it or not (probably will not).

So far none of it is faster (tweak wise) at getting a good tone than taking a mic and using one of my 3 amps.

There is to much shit to tweak! On an amplifier I have to worry about the fallowing: where the mic is pointed, how far away, and the volume, gain, low, mid, high, pres, resonance knobs. I always use a sm57 for dist guitars and a LDC for clean guitars. I don't have a ton of mics so the selection process is simple. The only other variable is pedals, and I don't add them often. If I do it's not all that complicated or time consuming to dial it in.

With amp sims I'm usually worried about the fallowing:

-Mic selection (because there is never just one haha)
-amp selection (because there is always a ton of them)
-early reflections (how much room is mixed in)
-what rooms are available for the cab to be placed in
-is there another mic to blend and do I want to do that?
-Stereo rig or mono rig
-cab selection (because there are always a shit load of those as well)
-All the knobs that vary from amp to amp
-in the case of the POD HD and Revalver amp sag, bias, hum reduction, other noise
-do I use cab impulses or roll with what is in the program? If I use impulses, shit I have TONS of them so yay endless mins of finding one I like.
-Latency while playing
-Endless tweaking with the end result being never satisfied.

That said, if you take the time to go through your sim and make some presets you dig it is faster for demoing purposes. For the real deal though, I find the time it takes to get them just right and how I like them takes longer than just going through the real deal.

I could never seem to get an awesome Death Metal tone from any amp sims. I mean there are a lot of great sounding tones, but no where close to micing up a high gain tube amp. I would always listen to both amp sims and tube amp metal demos on youtube and been tweaking amp sims for years. Never really got even close to a sound I wanted, but always ended up with a compromise due to lack of gear. On the other hand I've had a lot of even better experiences getting really good clean tones out of amp sims. Keeping in mind that I still think a decent tube amp sounds better than an amp sim for any type of music. Plus you can record dry and use one of the endless great sounding studio effects. But you should never let lack of equipment stop you from trying to do the best you can. If all you have is an amp sim, ROCK IT OUT. If you get your hands on better gear, ROCK IT OUT. Learn as you go and constantly work on improving your sound :D

For Bass guitar though I always use the same things. Compression and Guitar Rig's Bass Pro. Seems to me it sounds good on any type of music I work on LOL...

I could never seem to get an awesome Death Metal tone from any amp sims. I mean there are a lot of great sounding tones, but no where close to micing up a high gain tube amp. I would always listen to both amp sims and tube amp metal demos on youtube and been tweaking amp sims for years. Never really got even close to a sound I wanted, but always ended up with a compromise due to lack of gear. On the other hand I've had a lot of even better experiences getting really good clean tones out of amp sims. Keeping in mind that I still think a decent tube amp sounds better than an amp sim for any type of music. Plus you can record dry and use one of the endless great sounding studio effects. But you should never let lack of equipment stop you from trying to do the best you can. If all you have is an amp sim, ROCK IT OUT. If you get your hands on better gear, ROCK IT OUT. Learn as you go and constantly work on improving your sound :D

For Bass guitar though I always use the same things. Compression and Guitar Rig's Bass Pro. Seems to me it sounds good on any type of music I work on LOL...

Pffft. If you wouldn't use a sim for guitar, don't put bass down to that level either. =P If you are working on Death Metal stuff, I'd very much [though also very biased!] recommend GK gear. I use the 1001RB-II, but the 700RB-II would get the same sound for less price. Much better for studio. Apparently a lot easier to get the grind out of it in live situations too. Though I've never had a problem with mine. =P Or if you are really into the tubes, I'd recommend something from Mesa Boogie. An old 400+ maybe.

You're right about sim vs real amp. Wish I had the money for some great guitar gear. Then I'd not use sims so much. If only I had a few thousand monies to put out though. XD Great guitar gear is damn expensive.

I know everyone is an expert here lol, but I'm just relating my experiences not saying what's right or wrong. The point is to try to do the best with what you have. Bass pro is solid, you should try it. I just got a Jet City JCA50H last week and I'm pretty happy with it. So far I've only recorded a few things just to test it, compare it to my previous works which include a ton of different sims and solid state amps. Jet City wins hands down, nothing else that I've been working with compares to it. It's a bit pricey, but inexpensive compared to other tube amps. Amp Sims just can't get that same type of sound, at least I haven't been able to get them to sound that good. If you can more power to you :D

You're gonna get a bunch of people telling you that they hate amp sims because they all sound fake.

I think if this were The Gear Page, you would be spot on. I thought the same thing before I hit the "Vote Now" button.

But then when I saw the results, I was immediately brought back down to earth to remember that this is the HOME recording forum. What other response could we possibly expect from this particular forum?

I haven't met an amp sim yet that I wanted to spend more than an hour with. Ok, unplug it, you can take it home now. Go away......

I think if this were The Gear Page, you would be spot on. I thought the same thing before I hit the "Vote Now" button.

But then when I saw the results, I was immediately brought back down to earth to remember that this is the HOME recording forum. What other response could we possibly expect from this particular forum?

You are 100% correct. I mistakenly thought the purists would come unglued over this. This is indeed HOME recording, and I usually don't forget that.

Amps sims have improved a lot over the years and I think they're to the point now you could record a song with them if you wanted. I doubt anyone would be able to tell. The problem would be the feel. I know I can tell the difference when I'm playing, but when you take into account the versatility I think amp sims win. Of course if you have an amp you really like that can do everything you want there is no need for an sim, but for most people this isn't true. For someone like Santana, Steve Vai, George Benson, Brian May, etc there is little point in having a modeler. They have 1 or 2 tones they use and for them having the feel and exact tone is more important than versatility, but for most other people you need more than 1 or 2 tones.

They haven't improved THAT much. There is a reason why they will always call it a "SIM"ulation.

Trust me, there will always be people who can tell......

I've been to gigs where amp sims are even used live. You really can't tell. They really are that good... Some of them.

I've never used them live, but I'd imagine using them live would make it easier to fool people than it is in recordings. Once it's pumped through the speakers of a PA system in a live room, it's anyone's guess.

I saw weezer using pod xt live one time. I couldn't tell until I really looked at the ground and saw the pods down there. Then I noticed the amps were turned on but there were no cables connecting them to the cabs.

I've also noticed this a lot on live shows like Leno or Letterman or SNL.

I have no choice but to record with Sims as I have the neighbours from hell next door and mic'ing up even a modest amp can only be done at very irregular intervals.

But, Ive got a Pod Pro XT and have managed to program 3/4decent tones that cater for most situations and in the context of a full mix, they come across ok.

It wouldn't fool a pro, but casual listeners are usually amazed!

You're gonna get a bunch of people telling you that they hate amp sims because they all sound fake. The truth is they probably don't know how to use them and/or have never heard them used by someone that knows how to use them.

Some sims suck, some are great. Great ones in the right hands will fool anyone.

Having said that, I think real amps are still better.

^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^

Some people can't get a real amp sound out of an AMP!

So how they gonna dial in a sim?

If you know what you're doing no one will be able to tell in a mix.
Having said that ...... I prefer the way an amp responds while playing so I think I might play better thru an amp but who knows?

I agree, volume is a problem for me and a good modeler provides a lot in the way of options.
That said, it isn't as easy as I thought it would be, frankly an amp and a mic now seem like
the easiest way to great recorded tones.

All power to the toan thread!!!!!

I used to get a perverse satisfaction in using amp sims in a mix and have no one be able to tell the difference. I used to regularly track a real amp on one side and a sim on the other, or sometimes blend the two. And on some of my older songs I can't remember myself what's a sim and what isn't, and I'm the one that tracked the shit. I'm either very good with sims or very bad with amps. Probably both. :laughings:

I assume they ask, because they use a PC themselves.
but you're asking as a Mac or Linux user, you are still using a PC, just not a Windows PC. =P
there are a substantial number of us that don't record to 'puter at all. I'm one of them. Technically the standalone I use is a 'puter but there is no monitor ..... there are no plug ins and no way to use any sort of software whatsoever ...... it behaves exactly like an analog rig.

In the sense ya'll are used to .... I do not record to a 'puter and will likely not be in the future either.

They haven't improved THAT much. There is a reason why they will always call it a "SIM"ulation.

Trust me, there will always be people who can tell......
nah ..... not in a mix if done right.
For that matter I can do a guitar clip with an older modeler and you can't tell as I proved in the tone thread.

My live rig consists of a RP500 and K10, so I basically live in the 'sim' world for all of my guitar and bass sounds. I haven't done much recording in the past few years, but when I feel like playing around, it sure is nice to be able to directly record the exact same tones I am used to hearing without fussing about with microphones and volume.

Back