Your Friend

kormaniac

I think I posted this song waaaay back...but I remixed it hopefully utilizing a lot of what I've recently learned from the sensational ears that many people here have. Hopefully it doesn't need as much work as songs I've recently posted here. All feedback is good....feel free to hammer away...

I like the intro morph, but I'm not sure the vocal fits the style...what do I know.
One thing I know is that snare sample (sounds like one) is killer!
I heard some buzz at the end that could be faded out sooner.
Good quality recording overall!

snare

The snare isn't a sample...its from a real kit...just put a plate reverb on it...and i really liked the effect it gave.
And yes...there is some definate touching up with buzzing and crackles...
thanks for the input!!!

heavy grooves... chickypies that rock... dark guit fiddles with heavy guage strings... these are a few of my favorite things :)

Mmm.... seems the guitars and vox are out of tune in relation to each other.... one, or the other needs an adjustment.... at least to these ears...

The reverb on the singing seems to muffle it a bit... I do like the semi-psychotic octave-doubling she's done on it...

IMO the guit tracks have a bit too much fuzz... could be just plain "noise" (HISS) ... my current toon has some old guit tracks from 2yrs ago with plenty of that in them... it does make a difference come mixdown time... that stuff will cloud up yer mix quicker'n snot..

not that SNOT wouldn't cloud it up some :eek:

;)

Would like a tighter bass sound...

Nice song... needs a toon-up, but very good start.

Chad

Pretty cool song. The voice has maybe a tad too much mids in an area that makes the vox harsh. Maybe around 2k or a little lower. And I'm not talking much, just try pulling it down a wee bit in that freq range.
The song's cool........I like the guitars......maybe more bass would be nice....and I don't feel like I'm getting enough kick.
Cool tune man..........

LT Bob

Thanks for the comments...I assume you mean the vocal harshness in the chorus...I fully agree.
As for the kick...I'm having trouble getting that out there...I guess I may have to add some higher eq to allow it to break through. I'll also see what I can try in regards to the bass comments...
thanks again.

K

Very cool tune. The drums are just a bit weak though. Are you software mixing or on a console and what do you monitor on when you mix? Also at the very end when the music stops there's a vicious amp buzz still audible.

Track Rat

Thanks man...and yes...I said further up in the posts I need to clean up the end buzzing.
And yes...everything is done with software. I'm recording...mixing...everything in Sonic Foundry's Vegas Audio 2.0.

I have the Alesis M1 active monitors that I try to mix with...and then I typically play it back through my computer speakers and car stereo to see how much 'more' bass I need to take care of.

It seems that you aren't all that surprised that its all software mixing? Are there things that your pointing to that software mixing has shortcomings with? (aside from my shortcomings in experience with this and lack of good range in my ears).

Well, I've personally always had a hard time getting things, especially drums to sound thick and powerfull in software only mixing. It can be done though. Your monitors may not be helping matters though. I've worked with the Alesis units before and in all fairness, I didn't have enough time to really learn them, I thought they had some inherant problems and bass rsolution was one of them. I could never get used to them.

you already got the 411 by greater ears than I...

I agree with everything said about this..

cool song and style.. your onto something different here, but it just needs to be heavily tweaked.. great start though.. I agree about it sounding a bit out of tune..

cool stuff maniac, keep it going!

You got a lot of great tips already..

Cool song. Loved the "reverby" sound of the snare - good pop to it. Was that Pat Benetar singing? :) I personally rather liked the sound of the guitars.

I thought the vox were a bit too far back in the mix. Maybe double track them? I think it would sound real nice on a song like this. I bit heavy on the reverb for the vocals for my taste - makes them a bit tough to hear. A few pitch issues and some wavering here and there.

Maybe nudge the bass up a bit? Not quite enough definition to it - EQ boost somewhere around 1K?

Heard a pop at :40. Bad download or is it really there?

My thoughts... Trip.

TripleM

Thanks man....not sure about the pop at :40...I know there are a few in the song before it starts up...I'll give it a check though.
Gonna work the vocal reverb stuff a bit too...
Thanks for your comments!

Back