Your Favorite Workstation/PC or Mac Doesn't Match up to this Workstation, here's why

Remember though people, it is not just a Computer and VST's...You can load all ur keyboards into it and take this one machine with u to all ur gigs....Other than that I never used one. And I am def. an analog guy as well so... But I really do like the integrating idea because that's obviously where music is at this day and age. Analog has a nice REAL sound, the digital stuff though, all of it has its own unique sound. Since I never heard this I wouldnt know, I would assume that whoever made it, like most musicians, made sure it sounded up to par. Hence the price. Anyway. All just opinions...I appreciate everyone being honest. And Mohawk Steve is alright too....LOL to everyone

No, this is really not true. You cannot copy all your keyboards into it as stated. The process of "copy and learn" is far over-hyped, and rather untrue. Allow me to explain:

When I bought Oberheim and Moog patches for my Kurzweil (when I was younger and naive), I did not really understand, but thought that those patches would be replicated on my Kurzweil. Well, it's a bit of a misnomer. What I got was a sampled waveform from an Oberheim or Moog, with various settings on my Kurzweil to sound like the particular patch they were selling.

You cannot manipulate the sound in the Kurzweil the same way you could with the original Oberheim or Moog synthesizer. What I got was one (1) distinct, particular sound which I could then use the technology in my Kurzweil to play around with. I did not get an Oberheim Matrix-12 or a Moog inside my Kurzweil.

Likewise, Open Labs does the same thing, albeit a little more exhaustively with regard to keymaps. The "copy and learn" program will copy the waveform on your keyboard, and then also copy the keymap and strike points of that same specific sampled patch. You're still stuck with a single sound that you then have to use the Open Labs technology to manipulate that sound - Not a replica of menus and architecture of your original keyboard.

Another example to illustrate: Let's say you have a Roland synth with a morphing feature, where you slide a slider and the sound of a flute morphs into a guitar. Open Labs is not going to get that for you. You will have to program all the same desires of the sound morphing using the Open Labs menu structures. Makes sense? Just think about it.

Copying a sound is the same thing as a snapshot photo of a motion movie. An instance of a sound. It (the snapshot of sound, i.e. a waveform) has become the starting point of your new synth process.

Now, there are companies out there who have in fact recreated vintage synths with strictly software. But now we are talking about something completely different. You can buy a software version of the original Sequential Circuits Prophet 5, for example. But this is not what Open Labs is selling you. Don't be confused.

I'd say one has a better chance of recreating the nuances of a vintage synth by using FFT software to analyze the harmonics and overtones of the original patch, then using that data as a guide to tweak the parameters on the target synth. It would sound more like a duplicate of the original patch than a sample or recording of it.

"Similar to the Neko's and Meko's of the past, but this is our last stop and here's why..."

This is why folks think you're a spammer POS that works for Open Labs.

It doesn't appear to be very tightly integrated either. Notice how some of the modules have separate LCD displays. Why doesn't the big LCD screen handle all the display functions? That should be easy with a full Windows OS built in.

c7sus wrote:
"Similar to the Neko's and Meko's of the past, but this is our last stop and here's why..."

Interesting. Good, astute observation.

c7sus wrote:

Interesting. Good, astute observation.

Nah, the guy doesn't work for Open Labs. He's just excited about their product line.

Like I said, I don't have one and probably wont own one. But there IS a program called Mimik...google it. That prgram can read any sound. So you can basically take just the sounds from any keyboard.(Not a synthesizer) No loss in the quality they said as well. Why go the long way around everything? I want all my shit ready and there in front of me. Without all that bullshit tweaking. I would get a synthesizer for that. And being that the PC is inside. NO LATENCY! Thats basically why I hate most VST's and software, why I'm an analog guy to begin with. Whatever so it's heavy, how do drummers carry their shit? Are there drummers out there looking for like a tiny iDrumset? I stand by the fact I WOULD love one. If I had an extra $7,000 to throw away. I strongly believe that my Motif XF6 will do the job better than anything overall. I'll be quite satisfied with that.....anybody got a nice PreAmp/Compressor for sale?

It was just meant to come off as funny. I like to write, that's why I sounded like a fucking advertisment. And just remember. "Toots" doesnt rhyme with Boots. It more or less rhymes with Foot, with an S...

Like I said, I don't have one and probably wont own one. But there IS a program called Mimik...google it. That prgram can read any sound. So you can basically take just the sounds from any keyboard.(Not a synthesizer) No loss in the quality they said as well. Why go the long way around everything? I want all my shit ready and there in front of me. Without all that bullshit tweaking. I would get a synthesizer for that. And being that the PC is inside. NO LATENCY! Thats basically why I hate most VST's and software, why I'm an analog guy to begin with. Whatever so it's heavy, how do drummers carry their shit? Are there drummers out there looking for like a tiny iDrumset? I stand by the fact I WOULD love one. If I had an extra $7,000 to throw away. I strongly believe that my Motif XF6 will do the job better than anything overall. I'll be quite satisfied with that.....anybody got a nice PreAmp/Compressor for sale?

You think latency is caused by the cable that connects your keyboard to the DAW???

:laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings:

So you can basically take just the sounds from any keyboard.(Not a synthesizer) No loss in the quality they said as well. Why go the long way around everything?

Because we can. :cool:

Here's a process I'm investigating. I got the idea from Walsh's Synthesizer Cookbook. Walsh's process entails analyzing a sound with the free Freakoscope VST, then reverse engineering the sound to deduce osc/filter/adsr parameters for a typical analog modeling synth. He describes the uncanny experience of synthesizing his own voice. :eek:

But it's a lot easier for me than that. Since my FZ-1 is a digital additive synth rather than a modeler, I can omit the reverse engineering part and enter the harmonic levels directly into the synth. And save seven grand, chief. ;)

Back