Your Favorite Amp!

rvdsm

What's your favorite amp? Why is it your favorite?

Mine is the Ampeg V-4. It's loud, it's heavy and it's older than your refrigerator, but it sounds gooood!! Pair it up with a 1960TV and it blows windows out!

The one I enjoy most now is an old Fender Bassman 135, with 31 band EQ, ART tube compressor, and a noisegate driving a single 4x10 cab. I can do most any kind of job with and add a choice and mix of cabs to it. It takes it about 30 minutes to warm up enough to get its voice right but I love the warm fat tone and punch.

Last edited:
Depends on what I am playing, but the vast majority of the time it is our shop managers Dumble, which the bastard (I say that with great affection) got for $700. The guy who used to own that amp (who is an excellent guitar player, who is very concerned with sound) has recently been trying to get us to try the Carvin Legacy amp, which is the Steve Vai signature model. Mostly, I think he just hates that he lost the Dumble for $700, when it is worth at least $10,000 right now.

If I am just looking for distortion, with my guitars, I have not tried anything which is better than the Mesa Engineering Triple Rectifiers.

Strictly for clean sounds, I just tried my newest guitar (the Red one which gave me my Bad Day, which I posted of a while back) through an old (1964, I believe) Vox AC-30, and it was by far the best clean sound I have heard in quite a while.

But for versatility with great sounds, give me the Dumble.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

rvdsm said:
Mine is the Ampeg V-4. It's loud, it's heavy and it's older than your refrigerator, but it sounds gooood!!
I've recently become an Ampeg addict. I already had a V-2 and I've aquired a VT-40 which is a V-2 in a 4-10 combo and I also got a VT-22 which is a V-4 in a 2-12 combo.
They're also as heavy as your refrigerator!!
But tone for days!!!

I love my Rivera Quiana 1x12. The clean sound is just so perfect - a very muscular Fender type sound, and the reverb is bar-none the best spring reverb I've ever heard on any amp.

got mojo?
www.voodoovibe.com

I'm new to electric guitars. My first amp is the an Evans JE 150. I haven't done much with it except amplify. Most of the time I play it straight as can be, with a little reverb, and bass and treble as balanced as I can get them. I

n practice, I play around more, of course, and I like the way this fine amp gives a "garage-band" sound--high reverb, high treble, like on Paul Butterfield East-West.

Last edited:
Hey Light... a buddy of mine has a Legacy 1/2 stack. It sounds great! He said he bought it because it sounded great no matter how you tweaked the controls. The first time he showed it to me he started randomly turning knobs in-between playing some riffs. He was right-- it sounded awesome.

But my favorite is my Budda Superdrive 30 2x12 combo. I just love the sound of this amp-- it just fits my style like a glove. And the fact that I got it before the price increase makes it all the sweeter!

Attachments

• budda.gif
    budda.gif
    39.3 KB · Views: 250
rvdsm said:
What's your favorite amp? Why is it your favorite?

Mine is the Ampeg V-4. It's loud, it's heavy and it's older than your refrigerator, but it sounds gooood!! Pair it up with a 1960TV and it blows windows out!
My favorite bass amp is an Ampeg SVT Classic with SVT-610HLF and I also like my little Ampeg BA-115. I also have a GK800RB with a horn and two 10" Fane speakers over an EV 15"... front loaded ported cabs... and a few other bass rigs. All my guitar amps are small low pwr tube amps, except my Fender Twin is frickin loud. "D

Gibson Super Goldtone, either GA30RV or GA60RV (2x12 tube combo).

Both have great tone and are extremely versatile. They cover from Fender clean to Vox and all the way into Marshall territory.

Im partial to the Marshall :)

JCM800 2205 Channel switching lead head, with Groove Tubes all around.... 6550 power tubes. JCM900 A cabinet, loud..loud and loud.

The Carvin Legacy is an awesome setup. Especially when your using a Ibanez Jem, JEM7VWH model to be exact :)

SoMm

pennylink said:
Gibson Super Goldtone, either GA30RV or GA60RV (2x12 tube combo).

Both have great tone and are extremely versatile. They cover from Fender clean to Vox and all the way into Marshall territory.

If I ever get another amp I am thinking about the GA15R. I don't need the watts or headroom for one reason........and that reason comes from buying and selling amps only to settle down nicely with my

Fender Super Reverb

I haven't had very much experience with a lot of different amps, but the one that I have now, Fender Pro Reverb, seems to be very nice and versatile. Combined with the Boss GT-6 , there isn't a tone I can't get out of it!
Jason

The best amp for the money is Crate, they simply have a very good sound and a long life-span.

Marshall amps are over priced and have a very dry sound. They are good amps for country music; but then sound doesn't really matter.

paragonsix said:
The best amp for the money is Crate, they simply have a very good sound and a long life-span.

Marshall amps are over priced and have a very dry sound. They are good amps for country music; but then sound doesn't really matter.

I got my Marshall for $400 and I really couldn't imagine paying much more for it than that.

If I had the dough it would be the Top Hat Club Royale 1x12 I've *auditioned* once a month for a year. And jeez, if you post a link for something rare, please post a link so we can edu-ma-cate ourselves! Not much on dumble that I could find...

Back