Your EQ presets for drums and other instruments?

Drumz519

So, I've been recording stuff on my own for a while now and I'm doing really well with capturing the sound. I'm to the point where I'm really focusing on the details of mixing and everything it entails (EQ, Compression, etc).

What are some common frequencies you EQ, first off, on drum set? Specifically for overheads, snare, toms and kick and what is the result in terms of adjectives like attack, depth, warmth, etc.?

Then, aside from drum set, what frequencies do you tend to EQ on any other instrument?

I know I'm kind of asking you to offer up your secrets but hopefully you guys can give me a little help.

Thanks!

Well, I start off by listening.

Then, I decide which frequencies, if any, need to be cut and/or boosted for each instrument. Then I try it out.

It is never the same for any two songs.

......or 2 drum sets...or 2 rooms....or 2 drummers..........it also depends on personal preference, desired results, etc...............

So, in my opinion, the question is moot. :)

when i'm eq'ing, i like to use subtractive rather than additive eq'ing. i'll boost a band and sweep it along the spectrum to find troublesome frequencies, and when i find a spot that sounds particularly bad or something that clutters the mix, i cut that frequency. i don't really use presets.

I'd say you need as much eq that is needed to make it sound good to you. There is no way to determine a preset because it all depends on the source. If the source is dull, you'll need more top. If its boxy, you'll need to attenuate the low mids.

Having said that, to generalize, most close mic'd sources like a drop in the 400-500Hz area and a rise in the top end area, maybe a bounce at 3k and a bounce at 10k. But use your ears.

Back