Your Brief Pro's & Con's please about recording equip.

bigdaddyd

I have an mr-8. If I said I new how to operate it, that would take as much talent as tuning my guitar. I realize this. What I do like about it is its easy to use. The sound quality sucks for what I want, but is ok for the price.

I am about to buy new equipment. I have given myself a budget of $1200 for a 12 track (or more) digital recorder with an onboard cd burner. I also am entertaining the thought of buying a new computer, and a good sound card with a budget of $2000. I wont do both. One or the other.

What concerns me is if I go to a computer with one of there really cool "edit the crap out of everything" features, do you have to take a year of training to learn how to use it? I dont expect to be a pro, but want something user friendly. Are there limitations with a computer based studio. Is it harder to dail in a sound, is it more tempermental. I purchased an audigy sound card and I hate it.

What about a digital recorder. Are the larger, more expensive ones as user friendly as the mr-8, only bigger. My gut tells me to go with the 12 track digital, and down the road add a new computer(my business needs one anyway- Id just have to add a sound card....)

Any pros and cons youde like to throw in would help me start to collect information to make a somewhat "educated" purchase.

thanx

D

We plan on doing everything under the sun with this equipment. We are about to paint our jam room/ studio, and it will be a hobby place for me and my boys to jam and record as a hobby.... for now. After paint, ill post some pics for yall.

bdaddy. i would suggest you do some background reading on the great
things one can do with a pc. in the support section at pgmusic.com
(click support and scroll halfway down page).
is a slew of free tutorials youll find will clarify a lot of things.
also look at the video of powertracks that i use. it explains things a lot better than i can typing. including some neat things like vocals tuning and harmonisation. and multitrack recording/midi .
with this background then if your interested in a pc solution i will be happy to suggest pc configurations. i'm a computer engr with my own studio
whose done computer recording for a long time.

Back