You will never know

Hey Joey! Great stuff--I'm listening as I type. And I'm listening on new monitors which may or may not be completely dialed in yet. I'm hearing some buildup in the lower mids (or is the upper lows?) and I could stand to hear her just a bit more. The compression on her voice feels right, and she's sitting in the mix well in terms of tone, but I think she could up just a tad.

Overall..wow--very nice stuff! She's talented indeed. And you did a great job capturing her.

Thanks Bob, great to hear from you!
It could be the lower mids, the kick drum is a typical hip-hop one and pretty fat down low, so it could be conflicting with the bass. Yeah, I'll get her voice up a tad, you're right there.
I really enjoyed working with her, she's only 17 and really talented. Writes great songs too.
Bit of a change from what I usually do, but that's the great thing about it. ;)

Joey! My man! Great to see you in here again. :)

Yeah the lows of the kick are super boomy. I'm on 8" monitors and they're pumping hard. I wouldn't say it's lower mids. It seems like sub frequencies to me. Like around 40-55hz. Getting that cleaned up should definitely help the rest of the mix shine. Maybe boost her vocals a little, but wait to see what a cleanup in the low end does first.

I like the kick...its just a bit overbearing...maybe just dial it down a little

great performance, nice tune too

good to see you about Joe :)

Joey! My man! Great to see you in here again. :)

Yeah the lows of the kick are super boomy. I'm on 8" monitors and they're pumping hard. I wouldn't say it's lower mids. It seems like sub frequencies to me. Like around 40-55hz. Getting that cleaned up should definitely help the rest of the mix shine. Maybe boost her vocals a little, but wait to see what a cleanup in the low end does first.

Hey there buddy!
Yep, I think that's where the problem is, I'll get round to fixing it.
Just listened to your latest offering...liked Napalm Beach and your version of Halleluja KILLS!! :thumbs up:

I like the kick...its just a bit overbearing...maybe just dial it down a little

great performance, nice tune too

good to see you about Joe :)

Hey Keith,
it's still snowing blizzards in Scotland, good thing you're not there! ;)
No wonder they make all that beautiful Scotch.... :drunk:
I'll try to hang around here as much as I can. I'll fix those lows...
Thanks for listening :)

Last edited:
I thought it sounded really good, checked out both versions and the secong does strike me as being a little clearer, the vocalist sounds great, nice job!

You nailed it! In 30 seconds I forgot I was listening to a "home recording" and thought I had a CD cranked. The "mud" is gone from the lower mids and the vox are perfect. Nice work!

Thanks to you guys who pointed the problem out. ;)

I thought it sounded really good, checked out both versions and the secong does strike me as being a little clearer, the vocalist sounds great, nice job!
I agree, though I don't think I would have been able to pick the problem with the first version. Sounds great :)

Hello Joe,
I just listened to both links - def sounds better on the 2nd though my ears wouldn't've been able to diagnose the problem.
Cool voice, grainy and world weary at times and clean at others - the contrast between lead & harmony is amazing too.
I kept expecting you to belt out from behind her with a monster solo or vocal any moment.
Great to read & hear from you!

joey!!!!

It's been like forever.

This sounds really good. Not my sort of thing, but it reminded me a bit of the tune from Skyfall in parts. She has a great voice and it is captured really well here.

The 2nd mix sounds waaay better to me. Much more clarity and less low end mud. It's a nice, big-sounding production. Well done my man.

Hello Joe,
I just listened to both links - def sounds better on the 2nd though my ears wouldn't've been able to diagnose the problem.
Cool voice, grainy and world weary at times and clean at others - the contrast between lead & harmony is amazing too.
I kept expecting you to belt out from behind her with a monster solo or vocal any moment.
Great to read & hear from you!

Thanks Ray!
It really makes a difference when you work with talented people. It really was no problem showing her which harmonies to sing, she understood right away. I really like the dynamics of her voice, like you pointed out. ;)
Guess it's gonna be some time before I belt anything out again in my studio for now... :)

joey!!!!

It's been like forever.

This sounds really good. Not my sort of thing, but it reminded me a bit of the tune from Skyfall in parts. She has a great voice and it is captured really well here.

The 2nd mix sounds waaay better to me. Much more clarity and less low end mud. It's a nice, big-sounding production. Well done my man.

Hey Mr Heat!
Yeah, the style does have similarities to the kind of stuff that's on the airwaves right now. All I had when I did the arrangement was Caro's voice and her on acoustic, so I tried to picture it all in my head first...
Second mix definitely sounds better, I find it's always good when you leave a day or two before attempting a second mix.
Glad you liked it! :)

I think the kick is off timing wise from the flow of the song. Some kind of double hit that I would simplify. The rest is really really great. I do prefer the later mix, dialing down the kick was a good choice. Outstanding vocals and really nice arrangement.

The second version works much better Joey. Your singer has a great texture to her voice and I'm impressed with the big production sound you managed to get from a 'home recording' - it does have a real cinematic soundtrack feel to it. Nice to hear something new from you.

Back