you only thought you understood MIDI... If you have questions read this first!

JoeNovice

Junior Cheeseburger
This post is for the MIDI noob.

There is a large number of people in this world who make assumptions about MIDI and in turn fool themselves into a false sense of understanding. This in turn can lead to some really stupid post that exist on HomeRecording.com/bbs and it must STOP!

If you do not understand the following DO NOT POST A QUESTION;

-MIDI has no sound.
-multi-timberal
-channels
-CC
-velocity
-duration
-quantize
-polyphony
-local

Below is a collection of websites that should be studied to aid people toward a better understanding of MIDI.

Tweak's Guide to MIDI
http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm
http://www.midi.org

Let us pray that we never see another stupid MIDI post! :rolleyes:

Yes few people know of Joe's contribution to the MIDI standard. If it weren't for his efforts...... ;)

We can only hope the sarcasism stops at such an insane level.

Joe Pass and MIDI.... that's like Bob Dylan and Sweep picking.... or P-diddy and talent... or Paris Hilton and decent people.....

some things should never be paired together.

A really good use for MIDI:

Making an 8 track tape recording on a 4 track deck - with no bouncing!

Do you buy, for the same money, a decent 8-track tape deck or an excellent 4-track one? I'd get the 4-track one myself.

But what if I knew that I'd need to make an 8-track recording but not want to bounce? Hmmm. How to keep that analogue 'feel' without too much hiss and loss of quality...

In the end, I worked out this method:

1. 'Stripe' track one of your tape with time code.
2. Synchronise a second recorder to this time code (for this, let's use a PC).
3. Record your basic track(s) to your tape, including guide track or whatever else.
4. Copy the playback to the second device.
5. Record over the taped basic track with overdubs - The synchronised playback of the copied basic track will be your guide.
6. Copy the overdubs across also. Carry on until you have enough tracks done.

So there it is. Your individual 8 track 'tape' tracks are all ready to be individually edited, etc, and mixed!

Also, it's simple enough to add analogue tracks to a half-done digital project by syncronising the tape deck to the PC. Or, if your tape deck doesn't have a synchroniser, use a multi-channel sound card as an insert point (if your kit supports it) to run through the tape deck as you record.

Question for TragikRemix

May I ask why you chose the hammer and sickle for your logo?

The communists destroyed Poland and helped Hitler destroy half my family.

Sorry for the outburst, but it's just touched a nerve, that's all.

JoeNovice said:
Let us pray that we never see another stupid MIDI post! :rolleyes:

Joe,

If you think a question is stupid, you don't have to answer it. It might be stupid to you but it might not be stupid to others. You might not have the patience to help that person out, but others might. Were you born with the knowledge you now have? At some point you yourself have asked basic questions. Try to remember that, and show more forgiveness towards those who might not be at your level. I personally, from time to time, ask questions that to you and others would sound basic, but to me they're difficult, otherwise I wouldn't have to ask them.

You might say "post them in the newbies section", but the problem is newbies don't have the knowledge you guys have, and also the questions are strictly midi oriented. Your post above makes me feel like I shouldn't post here anymore, and I wonder whether it is your place to say those things. Please let the moderators moderate their own board. An idea might be for the moderators to stick a "midi basics" thread at the top of this forum.

Take it easy. No hard feelings.

V

VGreen said:
Joe,

If you think a question is stupid, you don't have to answer it. It might be stupid to you but it might not be stupid to others. You might not have the patience to help that person out, but others might. Were you born with the knowledge you now have? At some point you yourself have asked basic questions. Try to remember that, and show more forgiveness towards those who might not be at your level. I personally, from time to time, ask questions that to you and others would sound basic, but to me they're difficult, otherwise I wouldn't have to ask them.

You might say "post them in the newbies section", but the problem is newbies don't have the knowledge you guys have, and also the questions are strictly midi oriented. Your post above makes me feel like I shouldn't post here anymore, and I wonder whether it is your place to say those things. Please let the moderators moderate their own board. An idea might be for the moderators to stick a "midi basics" thread at the top of this forum.

Take it easy. No hard feelings.

V

i'm with ya on this......i get sick of self proclaimed "genious' " layin threads on us like they have the last word on who can and cannot ask a question. it wouldn't surprise me if JOE here poted replies to questions with..."if you can't spell you'll never figure out how to record" etc, etc, etc...

JOE---your gonna have to learn to live with the "stupid" questions.....there not gonna stop comin cuz you started a thread stating that you don't want to see them anymore. and further more....some folks like my self can read a manual but have a hard time sorting out some points....thats what friends are for!

I kinda like stupid posts, they make me feel all intellectual because I might know the answer. :D

I took the original post as helpful, maybe just worded a shade wrong. :) There is a link to a helpful guide about midi. I would, however, question the following terms in the list as "too simple":

-velocity
-duration
-quantize

All three are misunderstood, even by those with experience. Quantize can be a very powerful and often overdone feature. Having the wrong settings for quantize can really turn something good into a "midi file". Velocity settings can be complicated too. Understanding velocity and actually using it to your advantage are very different things.

Excellent comments....

V-Green - Your points are valid and well taken. Perhaps I should have a nicer tone to my original post. There were two post in particular that sparked my interest. One went something like "Midis suck because you can't burn them to CDs." The other was "What is MIDI?"

It pissed me off at the time. Sorry.... obvioulsy you are not at that level and my thread wasn't directed toward you.

DavidK

Understanding those terms, in the most basic form, is a sign of someone who has done the necessary first steps; reading and comprehending information.

I agree that mastering these tools is another topic in its self.

Amends to first post

Ignore my attitude.... screw me, ask your questions..... but read first and attempt to find your answers.

Google, follow links, buy books..... don't use forums to ask "What is MIDI?"

Joe,

No problem. I suspected you were just having an off moment. Very big of you to take it so well, as I really hated saying those things. I know I'll make mistakes again, as with everyone else here. It's now in the past, gone, forgotten, caput, adios amigos. Happy home recording!

V

My name is Orc and I'm a MIDI-holic

Well, this is very civilized, people. You can pretend there's nothin' wrong, but I know different!
The problem is that MIDI is inherently difficult, in a way that sound isn't.
Everybody uses their ears, right ?(apols to the deaf - but you know what I mean!) but how many people are familiar with a serial communications protocol?
I believe that MIDI, especially MIDI time code (and its close friend SMPTE) and MIDI clock may be responsible for a significant amount of mental illness in the music community.
I speak as somebody with a MIDI habit. It ruined my music, don't let it ruin yours.

Active sensing off

Orc

That's very interesting Orc. I've always found MIDI to be like another instrument. It takes practice to be good, and intense study to be used at a professional level.

How did MIDI ruin your music?

midi is not inherently difficult. it is ruthlessly logical, and that is difficult for some....

there is a huge quantity of small things that midi does, and each thing by itself is not difficult at all. But the sheer quantity of all those things can make the whole appear more difficult than it is.

it is like riding a bike, you learn it once and you'll never forget how it works. midi is the best thing to happen to music since tube amps....

I think I was astute enough to figure out that Joe was only asking people to please read everything they can about the subject before they start asking questions. I think he was suggesting that a person might use google for a few hours before posting "What is midi?" on a forum.

JoeNovice said:
How did MIDI ruin your music?

I think he is joking ;)

I've been doing midi since it came out. :eek: I'm old, hold me. :( Its pretty much second nature after 23+ years of doing it. :D

Thank you DavidK.

It was a joke...

and then when I think about it, maybe it wasn't: how many hours have I lost trying to synchronise stuff, or sorting out interface drivers, etc etc. So maybe the music did suffer - like I didn't do any at those times!
Example of inherent difficulty: MIDI uses TWO separate cables for 'In and 'out'. Why aren't MIDI IN/OUTS done on one cable? There are two unused terminals on a DIN plug, afterall! (and 'To Host' type connectors do it with one cable). QED

Orc

Back