You know what the new E-mu cards are based on?

Sklathill

Soundcard Junkie
The Audigy2. Yep, same chip.

Me, I don't mind this. All I'm seeing right now is that it has worked for me without fail. others are up in arms about this...

I know I've recommended this card to some people and I'll continue to do so, but this needs to be mentioned... if only because a lot of people have personal grudges against Creative. Me, I'm just happy I got nice functionality and working drivers...

That stands to reason, since they are owned by Creative, I think. I don't get how these cards use the same chip as the A2, yet they claim they are the same converters used in the PT/HD systems.

Can someone explain?

My guess is that they use the same DSP (the emu10k2), but that the circuit designs are significantly different. This is not necessarily a bad thing, so long as the A/D step is designed well and uses good converters. It's probably also part of the reason why they are so well-priced despite including a DSP.

I don't personally mind this in the least, so long as the things that need to be good are. I don't think anybody without a personal grudge against Creative would tell you the 10K2 isn't powerful, but its implementation in Creative's consumer cards just sucks.

Sklathill said:
The Audigy2. Yep, same chip.

Me, I don't mind this. All I'm seeing right now is that it has worked for me without fail. others are up in arms about this...

I don't mind either, I bet you my EMU 1820m is significantly better than my AKAI DPS16, and the price was right for me, I don't run a commercial studio, so for what I do and the people that I record, is the right system. ;)

Polaris20 said:
That stands to reason, since they are owned by Creative, I think. I don't get how these cards use the same chip as the A2, yet they claim they are the same converters used in the PT/HD systems.

Can someone explain?

Dozens of cards use the Envy24 chip in their design. All the M-audio Deltas, some of the Egosys, all the ST Audio, some of the EWS... and they all have very different specs. The converters are different from that chip. In the case of Deltas, they use one of two chips from AKM.

hi new guy here

just some opinions on low end pci recoridng cards, did a little research over the past few weeks.

for < $50 sb live is a great card 16-bit only

for < $100 maudio revolution 24/96 with akm converters (5480 ADC for input, VIA Envy 24HT controller, 4355 DAC) is nice, probably better than audigy 2 zs which fixes some internal re-samplling problems with regular audigy, also audigy 2 zs does dvd-audio playback, maudio not yet.

for < $200 emu 1212m, uses akm converters, same as pt 192 hd

1820 has more i/o, but not as good converters as 1820m, or even the 1212m, these are $300-$400 or so.

Back