YorkVille YSM2P Active Monitors!! What do you Think??

Minion

Blow Me !!!
Hi Folks, I have been looking for a Cheap set of Active Monitors for my Mini Studio and I didn"t want to spend a Lot of Money but I also didn"t want to get something that was Totally Crappy either which is what useing my Stereo System to Monitor was Like....

I only had a Budget of about $300 Canadian so I picked up the only monitors that were in my Price Range and they were the "YorkVille YSM2P" which were about $150 Canadian Each.....

From the Little I have Used them (I just got them yesterday) they are So much better than my stereo system but as far as studio Monitors go i don"t have a Clue as to if they are Very good.....

Have any of you tried these Monitors before?? In the store they sounded better than the Behringer Truth Monitors and they were Cheaper but that might not be saying much....

Could I have gotten better for the Same Money??

ThanXX

yeah, I can relate. Your buying monitors and have no reference expierience.
IMO, there's no BETTER, just DIFFERENT comparing $300 to $300 monitors.

my 3 cents criteria for $300 monitors...

1) you like the sound
2) your mix translations improve
3) they don't have faulty components

So it appears you have passed #1, ok.
Yorkville has a 2year warranty, so your probably ok on #3.

#2???????

ThanX for the Reply...The Biggest thing I noticed from useing these New Monitors is that the Sounds are more Realistic which makes it so I can pick out the Flaws in the Sound much easier....I now have to totally adjust all of the levels on my Mixer so that the Drum Mix sounds Good again and getting a Good Sound is much harder now but once I get that good sound It sounds so much better than before....

I am also surprised at how loud these Little Speakers go, Way louder than my stereo system which has Much bigger Speakers and I don"t hear that Backround Humm that you get with most analogue equipment.....

So far I am happy but I have only used them for a Couple hours so far as I haven"t had much time to myself lately....

Cheers

I use it since 6 months now and don't know how they compare with others products. But the YSM1P has very good reviews in mags and from users. I'm very satisfied with those monitors. The thing to care is the bass range since YSM2P does not cover below the 70 hertz wall. But when you test your music on different systems you learn how to deal with this range limit.

SergeD

I use the same monitors but matched them to a YSS1 Yorkville Sub.

It takes care of all the lower frequencies and you can adjust the cutoff point very well so that the monitors leave off where the sub starts. With some messing around you can create a smooth response right through your frequency range, i used a spectrum analyzer to achieve this so that the frrequency response was fairly equal throughout the whole frequency range.

Seriously, it's hard to recommend buying the YSM2P.
You are better off saving for some real monitors and use some hi-fi speakers in the meantime. Anyways, under $1500 or $2k, "monitors" sound just like hi-fi speakers cause that's what they are. I'd even extend this...and say nearfields are not very good for giving an honest representation of your mixes and masters. Mid and far fields are much better.

Well they are Definately better than the Behringer Truth Monitors (Which I treid and were more expensive) and Unlike Most "CHEAPO Speakers" they "Don"t" use a Crappy Peizeo Tweeter Like most Stereo Speakers do and even some Supposedly "Good" Monitors use...

I think For there Price they are fairly good and Better than Stereo Speakers and Much better than my Black Widow Jell Filled Speakers which were over $500 for each Speaker when I got them back in the Mid 90"s....

Most Poeple don"t even have $2000 invested in the Whole Studio so most Poeple aren"t going to invest that much into a Pair of Monitors when there studio isn"t woth that much....

Well they are Definately better than the Behringer Truth Monitors (Which I treid and were more expensive) and Unlike Most "CHEAPO Speakers" they "Don"t" use a Crappy Peizeo Tweeter Like most Stereo Speakers do and even some Supposedly "Good" Monitors use...

I think For there Price they are fairly good and Better than Stereo Speakers and Much better than my Black Widow Jell Filled Speakers which were over $500 for each Speaker when I got them back in the Mid 90"s....

Most Poeple don"t even have $2000 invested in the Whole Studio so most Poeple aren"t going to invest that much into a Pair of Monitors when there studio isn"t worth that much....

Minion said:
Most Poeple don"t even have $2000 invested in the Whole Studio so most Poeple aren"t going to invest that much into a Pair of Monitors when there studio isn"t worth that much....
Well this is the problem. I'd rather have $1500 monitors and $500 gear than the other way around. What's the purpose of not hearing your nice pres and nice effects in a flat and accurate way ?

TheDewd said:
Well this is the problem. I'd rather have $1500 monitors and $500 gear than the other way around. What's the purpose of not hearing your nice pres and nice effects in a flat and accurate way ?

Man, you talk like you have a massive bank amount of umlimited cash.
Since you only like top-end(price) equipment, why don't you please list some of your equipment down so we can take a look at it and dream..?

The YSM2P's are awesome for its power...it delivers a pretty tight frequency response..and has lots of power. I found it for $149/pair at my local store. I'm gonna buy it next. $300 in total for these monitors are damn worth it. Look Minion, disregard what others say about equipment. Everyone's ears are not the same..everyone has their own unique mixing strategies and style..and what they hear might not sound the same to you. so trust your ears, not others'.

studiomaster said:
Man, you talk like you have a massive bank amount of umlimited cash.
Since you only like top-end(price) equipment, why don't you please list some of your equipment down so we can take a look at it and dream..?
I don't have an unlimited amount of cash flow.
I just like to save up longer and get better gear.
This is were the "quality philosophy" comes along.
People needs to boycott cheap chineese gear, korean cars and all this asian stuff and get better quality goods. Otherwise, we are basically feeding the ennemy and lowering our proud american standards of quality.

America was built on pride, honesty, power and trust.
When you buy cheap gear, you destroy all that...

This is why at the moment I prefer to NOT have some gear and to buy great stuff later on when I'll have the money. This is the QUALITY philosophy everyone proudly AMERICAN should aim for.

People needs to boycott cheap chineese gear, korean cars and all this asian stuff and get better quality goods. Otherwise, we are basically feeding the ennemy and lowering our proud american standards of quality.

I just bought Toyota which by the way is made in Canada.

GM and Ford make pieces of junk for vehicles , i did alot of research last year before buying.

Right now GM & Ford are advertising big HP, big v8 gas guzzling 1 ton pickup trucks with no regard to what the public actually want. Their vehicles are unreliable , gas thirsty , expensive and look horrible.

I'd rather buy a Hyundai Santa Fe than a GM Yukon anyday.

American car companies need to come out of the V8 70's and update their look before they go the way of the dinosaur.

Problem with buying US made gear is that it is made in factories run by Unions that support the idea that their workers are entitles to as much per hour as a university graduate in a high end job.

Factory workers have been losing around $10 per hour on their paychecks here just to keep their jobs and its about time that it happened.

Pay the factoy workers a realistic amount for unskilled labour and bring down the price of the product then the general public that has ben conditioned to buy on price alone will buy from North america again.

Its all fact too

cortexx said:
I just bought Toyota which by the way is made in Canada.

GM and Ford make pieces of junk for vehicles , i did alot of research last year before buying.

Right now GM & Ford are advertising big HP, big v8 gas guzzling 1 ton pickup trucks with no regard to what the public actually want. Their vehicles are unreliable , gas thirsty , expensive and look horrible.

I'd rather buy a Hyundai Santa Fe than a GM Yukon anyday.

American car companies need to come out of the V8 70's and update their look before they go the way of the dinosaur.

Problem with buying US made gear is that it is made in factories run by Unions that support the idea that their workers are entitles to as much per hour as a university graduate in a high end job.

Factory workers have been losing around $10 per hour on their paychecks here just to keep their jobs and its about time that it happened.

Pay the factoy workers a realistic amount for unskilled labour and bring down the price of the product then the general public that has ben conditioned to buy on price alone will buy from North america again.

Its all fact too
I hold much less angriness against Japan car makers, as they make a very good product. Still, in my own opinion, GM and Chrysler make excellent cars, while Ford sucks big ass...I give that point to you. So I'd buy a GM or a Chrysler over a japaneese. But to stick with the debate, the real problem is not that workers HERE are paid too much, it's that workers in CHINA and KOREA are not enough paid. I am not a Union supporter and I think you are partly right that things got a little out of hand, but it's not by buying import goods that we will fix the issue.

Hey there, Minion. From what I've read, I think you made a solid choice. The Yorkies have received mostly positive reviews here during the past few years; have you used the search function above?

More importantly, you actually have them in your home and seem to like their sound. I'd suggest listening to some of your favorite pro CDs (the ones you know the best), and see how they sound on the Yorkies compared to your other stereo(s). Then, after you get to know the Yorkies, run a sample mix of something you've recorded. Try the new mix on some other stereo systems, and if it's in the ballpark, you can sleep well.

Good luck,
J.

studiomaster said:
...so trust your ears, not others'.

And that's it. It's all about how your ears translate music first. The translation from monitors to speakers means nothing if we do not understand what is a good mix.

And from my experience building good mixing skills, unless your gifted, is matter of years. The day I'll able to translate well from my YSM2P to any speakers then I'll be ready to buy and appreciate a 2,000$ monitors set.

SergeD

TheDewd said:
This is the QUALITY philosophy everyone proudly AMERICAN should aim for.

Aren"t you From "Montreal"?? If so then shouldn"t the Statement read "This is the QUALITY philosophy everyone proudly "CANADIAN" should aim for"???

When it Comes to Quality cars everyone Knows that the Japanese make much more reliable Cars than in the US or Canada and the Same for the Most Part with electronics (I actually can"t think of a Major Electronics Company that is US Run and Owned)....

You are Right though when it Comes to Music gear most of the Best stuff is Made in North America or even Europe but so is a Lot of the Cheap stuff....
And even with the American Made stuff the Components are usually just assembled in the US but the Parts are usually made in Japan or China or Korea or even Mexico.....

Cheers

PS: I"m sure there are Much better monitors out there but for $300 there isn"t much You can get....I"m sure at some Point I will grow out of these Monitors and get something better but till then they will do what they are supposed to do and it is a big step up from my Stereo speakers and even my Headphones which couldn"t handle the Low frequencies and Blew out on me...

Minion said:
Aren"t you From "Montreal"?? If so then shouldn"t the Statement read "This is the QUALITY philosophy everyone proudly "CANADIAN" should aim for"???
Canadians are Americans.
We are all part of North America.
And I feel much more like someone from the USA than from Canada.
USA rules!

Back