yorkville ysm1p ...AGAIN

gkowal

hey guys i am planning on buying those for HIP HOP music production will they handle the LOWS?? i got no money for SUB.. MPC will cost me a lot so i got no more$$$$

The YSM-1s are a very balanced monitor, and IMO would be somewhat bass-shy for dance or hip-hop mixing, but not impossible -- you just have to learn where to gauge the correct bass level is.

IMO.. Hip Hop should be mixed bass shy. Like Bruce said, YSM-1i' are proabably going to hinder you more than help unless you have a sub. A monitor with an 8 inch speaker might be better if you can't find one..I think M-Audio makes one, reasonably priced but the difference between those and adding a sub might make the sub better.

Most places that play hip hop and the consumers of hip hop always push the EQ up the left and pull nearly everything else off the top. If you try to second guess and add too much bass it won't translate to these folks, a sub is almost "have to have" if you expect it to sound right.
Get some CD's released with some Bass to them, then tune your ears to how mimic that on own mix, do alot of A/B until your tuned in. Be patient and keep trying.

Good luck nad Have fun

SoMm

i use YSM1's for mixing hip hop...short answer...save up for a sub...once you learn them you should be alright...i would like to think i am...but a sub would help a great deal..still haven't got one...let me know if you wanna hear something i can post something

IMO when you have the yorkies set at +2 on the bass, and up against a wall, there would be enough bass there to do hip-hop.

In fact, they sound almost identical in that configuration to when they are crossed over with a well-balanced subwoofer (i use a 4x10) the only difference being that you can turn it up louder without air chuffing with the sub.

also the yorkvilles distort quite a bit when you try to put out a strong level of anything below 35Hz. They put it out, but a sine wave at that frequency sounds square.

bleyrad said:
IMO when you have the yorkies set at +2 on the bass, and up against a wall, there would be enough bass there to do hip-hop.

In fact, they sound almost identical in that configuration to when they are crossed over with a well-balanced subwoofer (i use a 4x10) the only difference being that you can turn it up louder without air chuffing with the sub.

+2 on bass? are you refering to the active ysm1?

Back