yorkville w/ or w/o switchces, active/passive

gitrokr

the yorkville ysm series or whatever, the active monitors have a set of switches you can mess with depending on where your monitors are setup. if i can get a set of passives for like 225, then get a 75 watt poweramp for like 100 more. so give or take, 325, 350-should i go with the passives, or the actives. the question is just if you guys think the switches help any.

thanks

The answer's a no-brainer for me, someone who bought and auditioned three brands of monitors--in my home studio--before buying. If you can't physically change your room much for any reason (a huge point), then you'll be forced to fine-tune your monitors a bit to compensate for an imperfect space. In this case, go active with switches or other fine tuning options. If, on the other hand, you can adapt your recording space at will via baffles or panels or construction, then you can disregard this message completely and buy whatever else you'd like.

Good luck,

J.

(writing from an imperfect recording space that doubles as spare dining room)

Yo Git:

MM has said he prefers the passives but uses both in his studio.

However, you might want to listen to a set of KRK ST8s [passive] before you get the Yorks.

I replaced my Yorks with the KRKs. The KRKs have an 8" woofer and the Yorks [passive] only a 6.5 woofer.

I am not sure how big the York actives are but you can easily check on the net.

It's kind of funny between the Yorks and KRKs as the "price" is almost the same. But, I think the KRKs are better.

Happy 4th of July.

Green Hornet :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Back