Yet another "Which multi-track card" thread...

Speedy VonTrapp

First, I apologize for starting ANOTHER thread about which multitrack card/interface to use. I have read through a ton of them, but still have some questions.

Here's my situation:

I have been running Cakewalk PA9 on a P2 300mhz with win 98. I have a Lexicon Core2 card on the computer. (I'm aware of all of the issues with the Lexicon being discontinued, and not having drivers for anything new.)

For my birthday, I got a new computer, and Sonar 4. (I'll take this moment to say I've got the greatest wife, ever.)

P4 2.4Ghz, Via chipset, 1 gig of Ram. On board sound. Windows XP.

Now, she wasn't aware of the Lexicon's inability to be compatible with anything newer than windows 98. So, I'm taking this opportunity to look for a new card interface for recording.

Here is my recording setup:

I have a rock band, we use a Mackie 1642vlzpro mixer. We currently run the band through this, and into a 4 track Yamaha MD4s mini-disk recorder. Works great for rehearsals, and we could do a decent demo this way, nothing major. I dump the yamaha into the PA9 setup that I described above. The computer is old and loud, and not very portable, so I don't use the comp to record directly. Could, but do not, we don't practice at my place.

SO....

I've looked into the Delta 1010LT, and the Firepod, and others in the general price range there. I'm not sure how much I'll spend, I can't even really spend anything at this point. I'm just looking to see what I should save up for first.

The Delta, and other cards like it, seems to have a lot of RCA size inputs. I'm assuming that I'd just grab some 1/4"-RCA cables, and run those from the Mackie into the Delta. I'm just used to the 1/4" inputs that the Lexicon has, and I'm wondering about sound quality.

The firepod looks nice, but I don't have a firewire set up on my machine, and am not sure what it will take to get one. Plus, the inputs are all XLR, and I'd prefer to use the Mackie's mic pres and 1/4" direct track outs.

So, keeping in the general price range of probably under what the Firepod would cost to buy, and interface, what would be my best option at this point? Is the 1/4" to RCA a viable interface? Or is there some kind of sound degredation that happens?

When we record a real demo for ourselves, I'll be willing to move the computer to the rehearsal space, and so would like to grab as many channels as my budget will allow, and forget about the minidisk set up that we use for basic rehearsal recordings.

Thanks in advance!

-Speedy

P.S.

I posted here, rather than the general computer forum, because of the Sonar connection that I will have to make. I am hoping that those using Sonar will give the best experienced answer to my questions.

If I should move the thread to the general computer set up forum, lemme know, and I'll post it there, instead.

:)

If you're looking for the most inputs for the money the 1010lt is hard to beat.

I myself would prefer something with 1/4" inputs as it would be sturdier and use standard cables.If you are going to set up your rig and leave it be this may not be an issue.

The delta 1010 although costing more has a seperate breakout box which helps cut down on possible electrical noise from your computer.

So,how many inputs do you need and how much are you looking to spend?
How many outputs does your Mackie have?
Do you need more inputs than your Mackie has out puts?

Do you want MIDI or digital inputs?

No on the MIDI. Just a straight up 4 piece rock band. Drums will be the biggest thing that we'll tackle at once, as far as quality recordings go.

The Mackie has more than the sound cards, so I'm not wanting anything more than that.

The Echo Layla3G is one that sticks out to me. It's $500, and that's not too much for me to spend on it, if it works well. It looks like it will be more than adequate for what I'd need. Most specifically, I like the standard 1/4" and XLR inputs, rather than the RCS's. I'd like 10 channels, but 8 will probably do fine. I'd skip the phantom on it and use the Mackie for the 2 XLR channels for overheads. (No other really good standalone pre to use for us.)

My budget right now is $0.00. I'm just looking for something that will do the job for me, and be a decent upgrade as long as I'm doing it. $500 isn't too much for me to spend, I just need time to save up for it, that's all. I want to be ready for it, and know what I want to get by the time I have the cash saved.

But, if the 1010 works very well, even with RCA and it's cheaper, it might be better if I get 10 channels to work with...

I just don't know if it's worth having 2 more channels if they're RCA's. I won't mind having 8 simultaneous tracks. That's plenty, especially if it's a decent sound upgrade over the RCA jacks.

Thanks for the reply, I look forward to more feedback!

-Speedy

Getting FireWire is as simple as buying a FireWire card and installing it. Remember, it also goes by other names, such as IEEE 1394 and iLink. Most computer stores sell these cards and they are relatively inexpensive.

I use a 1010LT and it's fine. I bought one of those 8 cable Hosa snake. One end is 1/4" TS and the other end is RCA. I put them in my insert jacks on my mixer to get the separate channels. Inserting halfway keeps the sound in the board to monitor, and full way isolates each channel. The Delta Control Panel has a Monitor Mixer on the card which I use to monitor rather than my mixer.

Alexbt said:
I put them in my insert jacks on my mixer to get the separate channels. Inserting halfway keeps the sound in the board to monitor, and full way isolates each channel.
The Mackie 1642VLZ has Direct Outs as well as Channel Inserts. Use the Direct Outs to connect to your sound card and the jacks should be inserted all the way in.

Using inserts with the halfway insertion method is simply a workaround for mixers that lack direct outs.

So, what would the consensus be here, then? If I'm willing to spend a bit more money for the Layla, is that the way to go? 2 less channels than the Delta 1010, but 1/4" inputs instead of RCA's.

I want the maximum upgrade that I can get in this range, not just something that will just work out ok. I already have something that works out ok, even if it is sort of a pain. So, I'm interested in quality as much or more than I'm interested in quantity. I do want to make a jump in number of channels, but I'll sacrifice a couple channels if it means that I have 8 that are awesome, over 10 that are "good, but could be better."

Awesome being a relative term here...I realize I'm still talking about budget gear stuffs. Just trying to sort through it all, and see what the wisest decision will be, sound quality wise.

Just want to make sure that you know that the Delta 1010 (not 1010L) has 1/4" jacks, not RCA's.

rpe

Ack!

I did indeed confuse them.

I had seen so much 1010LT that I assumed that was the only one. Poor research on my behalf.

:(

The 1010 having 8 inputs, similar to the Layla now, in just about every way. I am uneducated enough to not be able to know the what the extra $100 will give me with the Layla.

Now after reading up on the 1010, and seeing some reviews, and reading some more, I would lean toward that box, over the Layla, simply for $$$ reasons.

Is there anybody with experience with both, or someone just more in the know than I am here, who could clue me in on what sort of features that the Layla might have to make it worth jumping from 400 to 500?

I'm assuming that it's not because it comes with Traktion. At least I hope that's not it.

-Speedy

Speedy,

Sorry I can't comment on the Layla but I am very happy with my Delta 1010. Since you'll use the Mackie preamps the 1010's lack of them shouldn't be a problem. Just my humble opinion.

rpe

That's what I'm thinking also, as far as the pre's go. We do have a Presonus 1 channel pre, but I'm guessing that the Mackies will hold their own up against that, even.

Right now, it seems like I'd be doing myself a $100 favor by going with the Delta. I've basically heard positives about each box. I think I saw a negative review of the Delta where someone got a bunch of noise with it, and it was expensive to fix. I'm guessing that he either got it second hand then, or it was old past it's warranty?

That's just one out of the many things I've read, so I'm assuming that's sort of isolated.

Now, except for the unlikely event that someone convinces me to save an extra $100 for the Layla, I'll have to start saving up for the Delta.

:)

...Then right after I save it up, and buy it, they will release something much better and way cheaper. :P

Speedy VonTrapp said:
Ack!

The 1010 having 8 inputs, similar to the Layla now, in just about every way. I am uneducated enough to not be able to know the what the extra $100 will give me with the Layla.

-Speedy

It seems that the Layla also comes equipped with ADAT IO, which would give you an additional 8 channels of Digital Audio as well. There are several mic pres that have ADAT outs.

Back