Yet another Preamp Question

justadrummer

I've read and read about the importance of preamps.

I came across a thread where a guy wanted to
"match the quality of the preamps in his firepod"

I use a firepod and was looking for Preamps to add to the mix

would an additional preamp make that much of a difference?
i know there are 10000's of variables
are the firepods preamps as good as/ better than/ worse than
cheap external pre's.. behr, art?

I've read and read about the importance of preamps.

I came across a thread where a guy wanted to
"match the quality of the preamps in his firepod"

I use a firepod and was looking for Preamps to add to the mix

would an additional preamp make that much of a difference?
i know there are 10000's of variables
are the firepods preamps as good as/ better than/ worse than
cheap external pre's.. behr, art?

I've progressed my way onto becoming just under a half step above newbie and was previously in almost the exact same situation you are. I had a firepod and I ended up buying a ton of stuff, compressors, preamps, recording strips, the works....None of that really made too much of a difference if any. You gotta remember, you can't cut a bad onion good. It comes down to the essential before anything. The players, the instrument quality, mic placement, the room. You can go out and buy tons of fancy gear, but your still the one using it ya know? It doesn't do the work on its own. My suggestion is fish around on the forums and the internet in general and tighten up your technical skills first, experiment, there's no rules. Trust me on this.

Sincerely
-Someone just like you (haha)
-Barrett

Post a question here about which preamp someone prefers, and you'll get as many opinions as there are users on the board. :)

Adding an inexpensive ART preamp in the front of your chain will likely bring you very similar results to what you're getting right now. PreSonus, ART, Behringer, etc. all make similar entry-level preamp boxes. The next step up would be a mid-level model from Focusrite, UA, or Trident. Then you've got the big-boy toys like Manley's, and Avalon's.

To answer your question... yes, PreSonus, ART, and Behringer are all on the same general level. Better/worse is in the ear of the beholder.

my main question is.. I allready have the firepod and a mackie 1604 pro..

is there any "gain" no pun intended, in sound quality, by purchasing
an entry level or under $500 preamp?

Or should i focus on better mics?

I know these are all addressed elsewhere but not in relation to the
Preamps i have in the firepod

You might try one, , record the same take to both and compare them. They should be the same take' (maybe split a mic) and be at exactly the same volume. Send it back if the difference isn't worth it.
Likely the dif. will be significantly less than leaning in on the mic two inches. ;)

Or should i focus on better mics?

Is there any "gain" no pun intended, in sound quality, by purchasing
an entry level or under $500 preamp?

I think the difference would be so little that you would be better off putting the money toward acoustic treatment first. Once you have a couple of solid mic's, and we know you have some solid preamps in the PreSonus, acoustic treatment should be a consideration. If the instruments don't sound good in the room, what's the point of having a great mic and preamp? (Capturing crummy sound in stunning detail! :D )

Joking aside, what type of mic's are you using now? (hard to suggest an upgrade if we don't know what you're using)

finally

and we know you have some solid preamps in the PreSonus,

that makes me feel better,
so the Pres in the firepod are equivilant,or better than, an external behr or cheaper piece of
art gear right?

i use a 57 on snare, akg112 on the kick, and i know my overheads need
an upgrade but there mxl pencils.. cheap...

on the toms i have the audix f series
but i tend to keep them pretty low in the mix

when i record guitar i use a 57

vocals, which i rarely record , i use a neuman when my friend lets me borrow it,
other wise its a perception P.O.S.
again thanks for the help to all!!!!!!!!!

about the room treatments

I have a 12' by 12' room, "daddy's band room" as the kids call it.
The walls are not attached to the rest of the house to avoid
tranferring sound energy, and a double layer of sheetrock installed to help tame the lows.
Heavy carpeted floor with a thick pad, on concrete.
And those cheap 3" "eggcrate" style foam 12" x12" square pads mounted randomly on the walls
and ceiling to avoid major reflection issues.
The room is pretty "dead".
The ceiling is angled on two sides, about a 25 degree towards the
floor,

Back