yet another poll

Based on my experience - the Pearl Forum.

I havea friend who is a guitarist who bought a set of them, and they are decent - plus, Pearl sells individual drums in that line, so you could add drums to it - from an 8" tom through a 16" tom (I don't think they offer an 18" in that series) but it has decent hardware and decent spurs - something those other series seem to neglect...they all have those tiny spurs on the kicks, and I hate that.

But you could get that kit, and expand it if you ewanted to, but I would stick with basic colors (like black or white ) just because every once in a while Pearl changes the other colors around and you might had a hard time finding add ons.

AND, here's the key - these drums will actually record fairly well.
My friend Chris just mic's the Kick (using an 8" speaker in a sealed box!), Snare (an SM57) and uses a pair of overheads (MXL 603's), and his recordings of the kit are actually pretty good.

Just remember - you still need to budget a decent set of heads in because those stock heads suck...they are just really thin cheap heads..but the resonant heads are okay since you won't be beating on them.

For cymbals - buy name brand cymbals if you can...at least Paiste Alpha's... the other beginner cymbals stink pretty much.

Also, I wantd to say - please don't take my posts as talking down to you, because that's not my intent. I applaud the fact that you want to play, I'd just hate to see you discouraged because of starting on bad equipment.
I have several friends that I knew who played drums when I was a kid, and I'm the only one still playing. They started on new crap kits, while my Dad hunted around and picked me up a used Slingerland kit (one mounted and 2 floor toms - the same basic set up that I still use today) with Paiste 602 cymbals for $150 out of the paper, so I started out with an excellent kit, even though my friends made fun of the fact that we couldn't afford a "new set" - yet they had beginner drums, and I had a professional kit to start out on.

So, that's why I've been trying to steer you clear of the "econo" kits.

Tim

L'es...obvious your on a budget...understood...what is your max amout that you are willing to pay...are you looking for hardware w/the kit or shell kit only???

The title is misleading.......there is no poll. create a poll!!!!!!!!

...I like polls :D

Btw, I didnt have time to look at the kits but I will tonight so i'll take a look then.

I like the 3rd choice. To me this looks like a great kit for the price range you are looking at. And yeah heads make a huge difference along with knowing how to tune. I'm just a dumb bass player but I bought a really cheap set of Hohner Rockwoods from some guy for $100. My intent was to trigger samples with it and to have something for my drummer to use at rehearsal. In the mean time I would also practice playing drums. I quickly got tired of the way the drums sounded and finally got good heads for them. Now they actually sound good and record well. I will probably sell these drums and get a decent set one of these days but for now I just want a good pair of hats and a good crash cymbal. The hi hats I have now sound like crap. DON'T BUY SHITTY HI HATS. Mine came with the kit so at least I have something to beat on while I save up for new ones. :D

Back