. . .yet another patchbay question

You most likely arent going to be able to find a fully normalled capable patchbay in 1/4". There is only one that I know of and its out of print.

Hi Sweetnubz long time no see

Since the 1604 isnt an inline console, here's how I would set it up, keeping in mind that you have two options on that patchbay, half normalled and non-normalled.

Patchbay 1:
top-mic lines from the studio rooms for 1-16 1/2 normalled(deadpatch on a split manually)
bottom- mic pre inputs to the console 1-16

be damn sure you turn phantom power off when patching mics!

Patchbay 2: youll need y-cords for this
top-console insert send 1-16 (1/2 of the y cord)1/2 normalled
bottom- tape recorder (or sound card) inputs 1-16

patchbay 3: this will be the other half of the y cord
top- Tape recorder (or sound card) outputs 1-16 1/2 normalled
bottom- console insert return ( other half of the y cord )

between patchbay 2 and 3, even though you dont have an inline console, you can kind of emulate one. You will use the mic pre as your send level to tape and the fader as your monitor mix FROM tape. In the event you want to do some bussing, you still can, and the easiest confusion free way would be to put signals to be bussed on a higher channel number than where your last track is ( if possible). But you can still buss from anywhere, by patching from insert send to insert return!

For the 24 unused patchpoints you now have open, strategically place buss sends, aux sends, returns ( 1/2 normal your favorite reverb input from a post fader aux send, and 1/2 normall the output to a stereo return). Half normall your soundcard or DAT machine's 2 track output to a 2trk tape return on the console. And thoughtfully lay out any remaining facilities, like fx, headphone sends and the like

Of course, this is a "take all comers" strategy. If its only for you, just draw the chain how you normally use it, and set the patchbay up so that you need to do NO patching to set it up.

Here are some links to another forum where I described a couple of different setups I did:

http://www.vsplanet.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=002735
http://www.vsplanet.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=003430

Really, figuring this out just took me reading all my manuals over and over and over, getting some paper, writing all the inputs and outputs, and trying to think about the way I normally work (that's what I think of when I think of normalization). I felt really frustrated that I couldn't find many resources about setting up a patchbay, which was what led me to make those posts over at VS-Planet.

Hope that helps a bit.

Back