Yet another MR-8 Application

a12stringer

I had another gestalt experience this morning and thought, with the amount of chutzpah we are showing in this forum, why not throw out yet another possibility?
Since the MR-8 converts to .wav files, and plugs into a computer, one could send them to another mr-8 user as an e-mail attachment [mixed or unmixed]. Say for example I am recording something and want to know how a ukulele part would sound. I don't play ukulele, but dyoub does. So I send him the tracks, he downloads to his unit, records his stuff and sends the tracks back for evaluation. Someone else wants a sitar part or a bouzouki or whatever and if another player plays one of those instruments they send the files to him.

Of course, it could actually be done with any computer software such as CoolEdit or n-tracks as well, but I'm just starting to explore the idea and throw it out for comments, suggestions. Anyway I don't have the hardware to do the recording to my hard drive or the hard drive space available that some of those other kinds of software require. So I'm thinking in terms of applications involving the mr-8.

would you have to also include the click track metronome settings etc? Can you zip a 42MB wav file to send to other users?

clif

keep in mind that wave files are HUGE and probably beyond the scope of e-mail. However, I've done similar stuff using peer to peer programs like ICQ or using FTP. I've also done projects where High Bitrate MP3's were exchanged instead of .wav files. And of course there's the old snail mail way of sending a CD. Collaborations are fun. Go check out the clinic and get blown away by the quality of some the collaborative efforts by your HR member collegues!

clifchamb said:
would you have to also include the click track metronome settings etc? Can you zip a 42MB wav file to send to other users?

clif
One could, conceivably, send the .adl file along with the wav file, then you would have all the info, you should just have to replace the .adl file on your card with the one you just received. At least it should be possible....

As I rethink this question, it occurs to me that it would be highly impractical. Most ISP's limit attachments to less than 5 MB.
In the second place, unless one is using a dsl or cable modem with a firewire connection, the transfer rate is going to be a horrendously slow 52kbps, which means it would take several hours to download one song.

I don't know if the data integrity of a .wav file would be seriously compromised by zipping it or not. That is another consideration as well.

Oh, well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. . . .

a12stringer said:
As I rethink this question, it occurs to me that it would be highly impractical. Most ISP's limit attachments to less than 5 MB.
In the second place, unless one is using a dsl or cable modem with a firewire connection, the transfer rate is going to be a horrendously slow 52kbps, which means it would take several hours to download one song.

I don't know if the data integrity of a .wav file would be seriously compromised by zipping it or not. That is another consideration as well.

Oh, well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. . . .

zipping a .wav file will only knock off maybe 2-3% at the most. However, there are lossless compression schemes that can drastically reduce a .wav size for storate. Rat Hole is the one I use. There's a few others that I can't recall this second. do a search and you'll find some. Some are freeware.

One approach would be to mix everything you want to send down to a mono wav. That way, you're looking at 5MB per minute of audio, but it would be enough for dyuob, for example, to use as a guide to record some Uke. He could then send his tracks back and they could be added to the original tracks for a final mix. 15MB for a 3 minute tune is still large file, but with the compression stuff that JR mentioned...

Another thought would be to use a file 'slicer' to cut the wave into 5MB chunks and send it that way - it would be tedious, but even a Yahoo group could be used for that if everyone sharing tracks had access and was responsible about deleting shared files after pulling them down.

I've been working with my daughter on a similar thing (only different) What we have done is transfer files with Yahoo messenger. You don't have to attach the file to your e-mail which limits even an mp3 size file. I don't think you would want to convert these files to mp3. As long as you stay at the keyboard while the file transfers, you don't loose the connection. Also while the transfer is taking place you can converse with the sender via keyboard. There doesn't seem to be any degradation in the sound quality at all.

bd

BTW..clif, I'm wondering about the click track as well. I guess it would depend upon where the actual dub is located...I only use the click track to get a count-in to the song so that all the instruments start at the same time.

Back