Yet Another Monitoring Program

jb2004

OK, I've read a bunch of the other monitoring threads, and I'm still somewhat confused, so I'll lay out all the info I have before I ask the question.

I have a Large diaphragm condenser mic. I run either the mic, or my guitar directly into a behringer 6-channel mixer. This goes directly into my sound blaster audigy 2 card. I use Cubase and Ableton live; both of which have a "monitor" button you click to monitor your sound in real time (duh). This includes monitoring your sound through VSTs such as amplitube.

Now here's the thing... when I click the monitor button in either of these programs, I CAN monitor what I'm playing in real time, and with VST plugins.

However, I have NOT been able to figure out how to do this in Adobe Audition 1.5. It seems kind of silly that Audition would be capable of using VSTs like Amplitube, but wouldn't let you monitor while you're playing.

So in recap, I know that my computer/setup will allow me to monitor guitar/vox in real time, but I can NOT figure out how to do it in Audition 1.5. Can someone please help?

Thanks,

j.

Audition simply does not support input monitoring nohow, noway. So real-time monitoring of inputs with FX is impossible.
Hopefully, a future update of Audition will include ASIO support and then there is a chance of input monitoring too, it would be pointless without low-latency driver support like ASIO. This hasn't be promised, but its probably one of the most requested new features for the program.

That's really unfortunate, because I think Audition is one of the simplest recording programs to use... it's just still a little too primitive for certain things.

Thanks for the help,

j

yeah, the use of ASIO will be a big leap for adution users. I havn't used cool edit in a while but doesn't it support WDM though? you can get pretty low latency with WDM drivers, around 7-9 miliseconds, definately low enough for imput monitoring.

You CAN do real-time monitoring with Audition, I do it when tracking vocals, you just can't do it with Effects. The catch is, you need to have a soundcard capable of doing so. It's not the software's responsibility to output what is being input, that relies on the soundcard.... until of coarse, Adobe steps up and makes it a feature (which I don't forsee happening anytime soon)

My Echo Mia MIDI is fully capable of doing so, and I've done so on many occasions.

Monitoring of the inputs direct off the card is do-able even with many on-board chips. You'll find a line-in or mic fader in the Windows playback mixer.

Supporting WDM doesn't necessarily mean a usably low-latency for input monitoring in the software. Cakewalk use a direct WDM driver interface called KS (kernal streaming), but there is no evidence that Audition uses anything other than the old MME interface. There are improvements to MME with a WDM driver. I don't know all of them, but latency is lower - 46ms @44.1khz than it was in Win95/98 - still not good enough for FX monitoring as the round trip in and out is still too long. The driver can also be multiclient which means another program can use it at the same time and I think support for 24bit/96Khz also came in with WDM for MME.

Back