Yet another condensor/SPL question....

CanopuS

Amateur music since 1847
But it's not about a kick!

Anyway, cutting to the point. I want a bit more thump to my snare, so naturally I'm employing another mic to take it. I've opted for my brothers SP B1, a decision mainly decided by the fact its the only mic we have. Anyway, could a snare conceivably damage the mic? We aren't doing death metal, so while we wont be trying to murder the snare, I'm wary of over-doing it. Cheers!

The B1 has a maximum SPL of 132 decibels. That is LOUD. I would be more worried about the hearing of anybody else who was nearby. 120 decibels is the threshold of pain, and decibels is a logarithmic scale so 132 is well beyond that.

But, a really loud snare will exceed 132 dbA, which will cause distortion in the B1's electronics. It will not damage the mic though, just don't hit it with the sticks!

I have read that a loud snare can reach 152 dbA, a loud singer very close to the mic also. A Jumbo Jet at 50' will reach 165 dbA and the explosion of a bomb 192, which will blow you away!:D

Dynamic mics can handle loud sounds better because they kind of 'limit' themselves ( the Lenz theory).

If this is for that lazy drummer of yours with the 'wobbly arm' technique ... you'll be fine. But please, if only for the sake of the actual sound of the thing, get him to hit it harder! Tell him to stop tickling the poor things.

Back