YES! it's a violin question!

zerotosixty

I'm interested in recording violin on my tracks, but I don't know whether to get an electric violin or a traditional acoustic. I was thinking electric, cause fender has that awesome looking white one for sale, and I want to put effects on it like an ensemble effect to make it sound like there are multiple violins being played. Any ideas?
Don't be shy, I need all the input I can get. If you know something about violin recording please post! :)

Firstly, take anything I say with a grain of salt. I'm not a string player. :) Someone close to me used to play viola in a rock band, however. Her regular setup was to simply put a pickup on the same instrument that she played in orchestra. I thought the sound was quite nice; very natural. With a pickup, you can also experiment with guitar effects, etc. In fact, that's first on my list for the next time I record with her. :)
As far as electric violins go, you should definitely PLAY SOME before you make a decision. The last time my friend was in the area, I made it a point to take her to Elderly Instruments, my local guitar superstore. (She had been eyeing a Fender electric violin that she saw in Elderly's catalog) She seemed to have fun playing it, but I did NOT like the way this $2000 instrument sounded. After 20 minutes of "fiddling" with the controls on the store's amp, I was totally unsuccessful in making the Fender sound like a violin.
So, that's the opinion of a non-violinist, anyway. :) Electric violins are fun, but if you want that nice natural sound, you're better of sticking with what you have now, and saving some money.

Thanks, that helps immensly, you answered the exact question I was looking for, (does it sound natural) and just as my suspicion was; it doesn't. I'm gonna go with the pickup option, that sounds right up my ally

I realise that I'm a bit late in this thread but here goes anyway.

If you're going to use the same "mic" in the studio and on stage, check out the transducer bridges at http://www.barberatransducers.com/ They have gotten top marks all over for their sound but make sure that you listen to them before getting one. They may sound a bit on the electrical side. I'm sure there are other similar transducer bridges so look around. Also, check out the swan neck mics here http://www.microvox.demon.co.uk/violpage.htm We use them for our folk band and the sound is better than the price.

If it's only for studio use, check out this thread https://homerecording.com/ubb/Forum27/HTML/000367.html It's the only way to do it (imho of course) if you want a natural sound but it's not too suitable for stage.

However, adding effects to violins quickly takes away all the "real" sound and makes them sound electric anyway. The best is simply to record in a good sounding room with transparent mics and keep the tracks dry. That is if you're looking for a natural sound. Nothing beats an electric violin when it comes to sounding good with effects. They're apparently a lot easier to play as well.

Good luck.

/Ola

Just to add my 2cents. I have a 6 peice jazz band that featured a violinist on one of my
funk-jazz tunes,sort of like George Clinton
meets Herbie Hancock type sound. The piece called for the violinist to play the melodic portion(along with a solo). Even though the piece called for a electric sounding violinist,the acoustical,clear chamber-airy
sound of the violin made the piece all the more in my opinion sound eclectic. If you ever listen to Jean Luc-Ponty,he sometimes uses a electric violin but his preference is
acoustical because of the pure definition of sound.
In other words,stick with an acoustical violin.Electric,in my opinion,takes away from the natural beauty of the sound of the violin!

If it did sound better how come you never see them in orchestras and how come the worlds leading virtuoso's don't play them?

keep your acoustic, violins are beautiful instruments made out of WOOD.

Back