yep pro-tools still sucks

sweetnubs

I'd forgotten how much digital sucks. I worked at a studio a few days ago that has a pro-tools hd system and a ampex atr-102 1/2" mixdown deck. Unfortunately the 1/2" went down and we had to send it out for emergency repair and were hoping to get it back the next day. We continued on with the mix and mixed into into protools for safety and for listening copies in the hopes the ampex would be fixed. Luckily the tech managed to fix the ampex for the next session so we remixed down again to the 1/2" I was again amazed and the sound of the 1/2" vs. the pro-tools. The band was absolutely flabbergasted at the sound quality of 1/2". I was happily reminded and it reconfirmed what I've always known. To all you Pro-fools, Salut Ampex!

I'd forgotten how much digital sucks. I worked at a studio a few days ago that has a pro-tools hd system and a ampex atr-102 1/2" mixdown deck. Unfortunately the 1/2" went down and we had to send it out for emergency repair and were hoping to get it back the next day. We continued on with the mix and mixed into into protools for safety and for listening copies in the hopes the ampex would be fixed. Luckily the tech managed to fix the ampex for the next session so we remixed down again to the 1/2" I was again amazed and the sound of the 1/2" vs. the pro-tools. The band was absolutely flabbergasted at the sound quality of 1/2". I was happily reminded and it reconfirmed what I've always known. To all you Pro-fools, Salut Ampex!

Digital isn't forgiving compared to analog.
You really have to know what your doing in the digital Audio realm.
If you have the proper knowledge and gear, you can make a Pro Tools HD system sound analog, but you REALLY need to know your shit.

Digital isn't forgiving compared to analog.
You really have to know what your doing in the digital Audio realm.
If you have the proper knowledge and gear, you can make a Pro Tools HD system sound analog, but you REALLY need to know your shit.

I was the engineer.

yep pro tools sucks. It's like the wal-mart of DAWs made for the lowest common denominator, instead of doing anything particularly better than any other program. It works sure, but the price will always make it a rip off (I mean $500 and you can get the full logic studio with tons of great plugins and wonderful non-crippled software)..digital just takes more work, but can get just as good of a result if you have the right plugs and know how to use them. It's just a different method of building sound than tape, and most tape people just laugh it off becuse they don't get instant results. The person doing the tracking/mixing is everything and the gear used matters VERY little, in almost every case.

yep pro tools sucks. It's like the wal-mart of DAWs made for the lowest common denominator, instead of doing anything particularly better than any other program. It works sure, but the price will always make it a rip off (I mean $500 and you can get the full logic studio with tons of great plugins and wonderful non-crippled software)..digital just takes more work, but can get just as good of a result if you have the right plugs and know how to use them. It's just a different method of building sound than tape, and most tape people just laugh it off becuse they don't get instant results.

Stick with your emulations, I'll stick with the gear being emulated. Roar!

Just to clarify all tracking was done on a Studer 827 24 track 2" and Mixed on a Neve 5316. The only difference was mixdown to a protools HD system then to the Ampex 1/2". The 1/2" mix killed the digital mix. It was obviously apparent. How would you great well of knowledge about the mysteries of the "Digital Audio Realm" improved a simple dump into a two track mixdown? By the way nearly everytime I do this comparison the bands almost always pick the analog mixdown.

Awesome listen to the quality of protools presented by digidesign on compressed audio over computer speakers.

All right I watched the set up clip. They are not mixing off of tape. They are comparing an analog console mix to a protools. I mixed off of and onto tape. TAPE! Besides SSL on board dynamics are questionable, especially the compressors

so wait this was just a mixdown format gripe?

The contention is tape sounds better at being tape than PT is at being tape?

The contention being a raw mix off the 1/2" killed the raw mix into from the pro-tools turd delivery system yet again.

Back