Years (original song)

I like the song itself, especially the lyrics but there are some problems with the vocals and it sounds like something is getting distorted amongst it all.

Thanks for the reply.

"Some problems" doesn't of course help much but I know they're a bit out of tune here and there. :)

The distorted sound might be the bass guitar buzzing... maybe...?

I like the tune! It has an Iron Maiden feel that gives me wood. That said, The first thing I noticed is the Kick drum. Lots of boom with limited attack. I would HPF or shelve the sub freq. a bit. After that, I would look closer at the snare for a more "in your face" sound. Re-record the vocal parts that are out of tune then re-submit. I LOVE THIS SONG!! Please make it great.

Hmm, ok. I'm pretty inexperienced with mixing and gotta say that I can't hear those things you said are wrong with the drums. I don't know what a more "in your face" sounding snare would sound. That's pretty in your face already if someone would ask me. :D Also I can't really tell if there's any boom with the kick or not. Maybe my ears are just shit. :)

Maybe I'll try that stuff and re-record those vocal parts. I should also redo those guitar solos, sheesh!

Thanks a lot for the reply!

The drums, (particularly the snare), sound like they are in a different room. Are you using the same reverb on all sections of the song?
The bass is very forward compared to the rhythm guitars & the lead guitar sounds like it's somewhere else as well.
The vocals are pitchy.
The whole mix sounds a bit bland on top of the strange placement.
I don't think Utub is too good a place for you to post audio for critical lsitening. the compression they use is pretty heavy handed and quishes the life out of music.
I think you ought to go back to basics and mix the bass & drums so that they sound like a rhythm section playing together in one space. That's hard enough to achieve I know but it's your starting point.
After the rhythm section add the rhythm guitars and settle them into a power base.
Sounds like you have the makings of something good - you just need to reconsider you construction.

Back