Yamaha stage custom

Hey Rage I've looked into these a little and came up with this...

Birch, mahogany, and falkata woods are selected for their tone, then formed into flawless 8-ply shells.

Ok, these are considered low end to mid range drums? When I look at more expensive drums they usually only list Maple or Birch woods, not 3 different types of wood. But $400 is kind of easy on the wallet/:D

Yamaha stage custom kits are really a pretty good value. They offer a lot of versatility as far as tone and tuning go and have an excellent hardware system for lower end drums. Slap a new set of heads on there and as long as the kit isn't damaged, you should be able to pretty easily get a good sound out of it. It definately isn't as nice as your more high end yamaha like the Birch and maple customs, but you would be getting that whole kit for about the price of the snare on a nicer kit.

I owned a Stage Custom kit (fusion sizes) for a while maybe 5 years ago (I've owned about a dozen different kits over the years).

I think it is one of the best - if not the best - low cost kits available. Well built, easy to tune and decent sounding.

The only reason I sold my Stage Custom kit - at the time I owned 4 acoustic kits (including a maple kit and a birch kit) and an electronic kit. I didn't need that many kits - and I did need the space.

I still regret that I sold that kit.

Ive had these Stage Customs for about five years now and I love them! Ive used them for both live and recording situations and they've never let me down, the Evens heads make a huge difference in sound. Id say that for the price, youd be getting a great deal on that set... Go for it!
100_1278.jpg

There are other good low cost solutions available these days as well. Ludwig makes an affordable birch kit, some of the Ddrum stuff actually sounds pretty good, Gretsch has some nice low cost options and some of the Pacific kits are pretty nice as well.

A lot of guys are hyping the PDP X7 kit. My instructor has one in the lesson space (he lets his students play his DW's!), and it sounds fine. There are Brady snares on both kits, so that helps...

Most of the sound on any drum that is in-round with a decent edge is tuning and heads. You can save money on the kit, swap out the snare and heads, and do just fine, IMO YMMV.

I've recorded Stage Customs, they sound fine as well.

Back