Yamaha S80 or Motif for computer DAW?

oneArtist

Hello all,
I'm new at Keyboard's development. I want to integrate a good keyboard controller into my HD recorder/mixer/plus computer DAW. One recommendation was either the Kurzweil PC-2X or the Yamaha S80. I have a good email quote on Motif for $1600 which is in the same price range. Which of these would work best with Emagic's computer sequencer? Any other suggestions?
Thanks for any help,
Chuck

in my opinion, if you are going to sequence on a computer, you should save you money by getting a board without a sequencer on it. That way you arent really buying the same thing twice.
The S80 is an awesome synth. The ep sounds are very true, and the piano isnt too bad either. The synths and leads on the board i am a big fan of also.

also check out the Roland RD-700...use rack modules as supplements and use the 700 as your master.

Skyline,
Great advice. I went up to the new GC in our area. I discovered that even a
little Midiman controller and a good sound module can make some amazing
sounds. Also, the sound completely changes from a quiet cymbal to a crashing
cymbal depending on how hard you strike the key. I guess a weighted piano
key doesn't have this quick Midi response.
The PC2X sounded great also. Do you have any favorite modueles? Is Proteus
an okay place to start. Emagic uses Proteus as a module that works well with
their Sequencer.
I'm still a little inexperienced at this.
Chuck

hey Chuck,
The proteus is really nice, but it all really depends on what your ears want to hear.. For me to recommend one thing may be totally different then how you want to hear something in your head. So make sure you try all of em out so YOU are happy with what you have in the long run :)

Basically i would say that the most important thing for a keyboard player is to have a board that feels right... I say this only because you can ALWAYS get modules in the future, but its great to have your master be your best buddy. As far as modules, check out some of the other ones that E-MU makes. I dont know what kind of music you are into, but they have some great sounding stuff...the B-3 modeler is awesome, as well the Xtreme Lead. I think there is two kinds, the Xtreme Lead which is 64 voice, and the Xtreme lead turbo which is 128....im pretty sure...there is a significant price difference though. Also, the Virtuoso Strings is a really good sounding module. As far as the master, Im really starting to like the RD-700 alot. the action is very true...of course im a picky one when it comes to action, some folks like the light key feel if they are playing a synth...and i will agree with that 100%....different feels give you different performing abilities. There is nothing like playing a sick ep or clav or lead solo on some really light keys....like on a korg ms2000 or nord for example.
I still think if i had a choice between the RD and the Yamaha S-80 i would probably take the S-80....the piano sounds like it would really cut well on a stage mix...and there is georgous realistic sounds in it all around.

Kurzweil stuff.....i guess you could always go for one...i kinda think they lose their value over time...and they are also a little complicated to use....id say save the money and choose something else...but its all up to you.

bottom line is, take any advice in stride, but let you be the final judge, its your board, so feel good about it :) as long as you feel good about what you have, youll always be confident you made the right decision!

rock on man
Luke

Luke,
I just got back from GC(buy now/pay Jan-2003 deal) and I used your advice,
but due to wife concerns, I restrained myself. I only bought one NTK($389)
to go with Presonus M20 and I got the 76 key version of the S80, the
S30($750). Kurzweil's 76 key PC2 was just a little too expensive right now.
I like the Piano feel of Yamaha. and I don't think I would have liked the little plastic Midiman. Like you said, get somthing you'll want to live with.
The great prices came from internet price searching and GC's willingness to
match them.
Thanks,
Chuck
:D

Back