Yamaha S03 and other $500-700 synths

rogerwilco

Something happened to my last question on this topic--sorry, newbie goof, I guess--so I thought I would try it again.
I'm mostly a guitarist who's putting together a home studio and want a synth to add piano, organ, strings, synth sounds, etc. to my rock/folk/pop demos. I've seen four different synths in Musician's Friend in the $500-700 range--the Yamaha S03 ($499), the Korg X5D ($599), the Roland RS-5 ($649), and the Alesis QS6.1 ($699). I've tried the Yamaha, and I think it sounds pretty good, actually. Any compelling reason to choose one of the others instead? Thanks for any ideas.

Rogerwilco, I too am interested in getting a keyboard in this area. I was looking at those too and in regards to the Roland RS-5, i havent played any of these but look at the list price and the list price of the others like the xp-10 , now the xp-10 is going for 459$ right now and it lists for more than the rs-5! I dont know anything about how they sound but.... I was more interested personally in the xp-30 partly because for 979$ they also give a $200 expansion card for free (you choose the card) Ilike the idea of expanding. I didnt see any Korg under 1K$ in musicians friend but will go check their site. If a korg is that price, maybe that would be the way to go:confused:

XP30

Hey guys, I have both the X5D and XP30. For an only synth, I DEFINETLY recommend the XP30. Its got tons of useful sounds and room for 2 more expansion boards (I have the Vintage Synth board). The X5D is OK, but not half as strong as the Roland. I pretty much bought it for the signature Korg sounds (M1 piano etc...). I am thinking about getting rid of it because it is not half as warm as the old Korg M1 I had a couple years back (pobably going to look for a good deal on another M1).

The XP10 really is not a JV/XP family synth. Totally different sound engine (more like a Roland Sound Canvas). I did play with a S03 and it was pretty decent. Only thing that bugged me was the crappy interface and no aftertouch (same on the X5D). I can't really comment on the Alesis other than the fact that they filed for bankruptcy this year.

I did fool around with a RS-5. Supposedly the samples are better quality than the XP30 (it uses the engine from the XV-3080/5080/XV-88). I does not have any expansion slots though so you're stuck with what it comes with in terms of waveforms.

brzilian, are you from brazil?? Thanks for the reply I sure appreciate it when you get someone who really knows what there talkin about!:cool: So Is the xp 10 not worth the money or should I try to talk you out of your korg?:D

You're welcome!

Nah, I'm in NY. I was born in Brazil and am half Brazilian...

Yeah, I'd say stay away from the XP10 - not worth your time. My X5D is like only 5 months old, I might be interested in dumping it if I got a good offer... :)

well, if your serious I would give you 300$ and pay for the shipping. What are you going to get next?

Hmmm...

Not sure. I saw a M1R at my local Guitar Center...I really want to find a Yamaha SY77!

I might hold off buying anything for a while tho - took my Civic in for maintenance today and ended up having to get new brakes. Pretty helfy bill. :(

Ugh...

Hey, rogerwilco. Still looking?

I would personally recommend the Alesis QS6.1, as it is a top-quality synth marked down to a reasonable price. However, the price I was thinking of was $499. The QS6.1 was this price until a month or two ago, when all of the online retailers (and Guitar Center) upped the entire QS synthesizer line's prices by $200-$300 each.

I own its big brother, the QS7.1, which (I believe) has the same sound set and keyboard action, and I'm very happy with it. If you can find a QS6.1 for $499, or don't mind spending the extra $200 online, I don't think you'll be disappointed. However, as a precautionary note, keep in mind Alesis's future and direction as a company is a bit uncertain right now.

Of the other boards listed, assuming you don't intend to get too deeply into voice editing, aren't picky about keyboard action, and don't care about expandability, the S03 is probably the best of the group. It has a lot of voices (700+) and is a bridge between Yamaha's consumer and pro-level boards. However, the sound quality on the S03 varies from voice to voice. If you have an extra $200-$300, the Yamaha S30 is a much more full-featured board that includes on-board editing and card-based expandability. It only has 256 voices, but they are all high quality.

I tried out the XP-30, but I felt it was far too expensive for what it had to offer. Though it has tons of voices (1200+) and room for two more expansion cards, I was not impressed by the sounds themselves. However, sound is subjective; try it and decide for yourself. I also wasn't very fond of the XP-30's controls, especially the little combination pitch/modulation controller on the left side of the keyboard. The final factor that tied it all together was the nearly $1000 price tag, which is very expensive for 61 unweighted keys.

I was warned off of the X5D (old board, outdated sound set), and I haven't tried the RS-5, so I really can't give you a recommendation either way on that particular board.

A few pointers for buying a keyboard:

(1) Try all of the keyboards you are looking at. Mars Music and Guitar Center should have most, if not all, of the ones that you have listed here.

(2) Listen to the quality of the sounds on each board, especially the ones you intend to use the most. If you can, bring your own headphones, and listen to each board with them. This eliminates differences in the speakers at the store.

(3) Don't fall into the "more features = better" trap. If a board has the features you want, and you like the board's sounds, then it's probably a board you will be happy with.

(4) Don't fall into the "more voices = better" trap. Chances are, you'll be better off with 256 high-quality voices than with 1000+ mediocre-quality ones.

(5) Read up on all of the boards you are considering, especially with regards to the features you are looking for.

(6) Take your time, which you seem to be doing. Rushing into a keyboard purchase isn't a good way to go, since you will probably be using it for a while.

(7) Some "basic" specs you should look for: 64-note polyphony, at least 61 full-size keys, and General MIDI compatibility.

Best of luck. :)

Last edited:
Back