Yamaha PSR-225GM

abc123

My recording is purely informal and for personal purposes. I am getting going on Fostex 4-track recording and have just purchased a Yamaha PSR 225-GM keyboard with intent to used its 6-track recording feature. I got it at a good price and am happy with its features but it has too many features for me to digest in the time I have to spend.

The manual is 100 pages and there are a bunch of control buttons on the dashboard. I have tried to do some recording by intuition and basic manual reference and am making very little progress.

All I want to do is choose a "voice" for playing and record a song or two. To begin with, recording just one track and playing it back would be fine. Then I would like to do some multi-track work.

Does anyone have one of these so you can give me a cupl tips on what I can do without struggling with a huge learning curve?

100 pages? That's nothing.

RTFM!

This stuff blows me away, you bought it but you won't take a couple hours to learn to use it?
Weird as hell!

Ouch!
No offense taken since I understand where u r coming from. Only defense is that I had spent some time with manual to no great avail and had hoped to gain short-cut tip. Will keep plodding with hopes of breaking the code.

I Feel Your Pain

I can't help you on the Yamaha, but I feel your pain. It's not really the length of the manual that matters, it's how well it is written and organized.

I have two Roland devices -- and the manuals on these two are worlds apart. The older device had me pulling out my hair trying to understand the poorly written manual. The newer device has a great manual that's easy to understand. I hope that you find your Yamaha manual to fall into the latter category.

Don't give up on asking questions just because you got your hand slapped once. But do show that you have done a little bit of homework. Find the appropriate page(s) in the manual and give them a careful read. If the instructions still don't make sense to you, then ask your question again, but be sure to reference the specific parts of the instructions that don't make sense to you. I'll think that you'll then get a much more sympathetic (and useful) response. There are quite a few people on this bulletin board who are more than happy to help a newbie -- as long as he is clearly making an effort.

pbouchard -

Appreciate ur sympathy and agree with ur suggestions. After digging back into Manual, I discovered an answer to one primary question -- "How does one clear a recorded track?"

I'm not sure if the Manual is poorly written or not but to me the operation of the many features for the keyboard seems to be really complicated and very much connected with the small display. There is very little if anything that is "intuitive."

There is a Function feature that must be used to set up a number of activities. It's the age-old story of working with complicated equipment -- Once I am familiar with it, it will be a piece of cake.

But, Jake was right in that I became impatient (lazy?) too quick. I have limited time but will try to just take it in small bites. And -- as you suggest, if I really run into a specific road-block, I will come back here.

Thx again.

Back