Yamaha p90

ambi

This is the new keyboard coming out to replace the p80.

Anyone have any info on it or release dates? I think maybe in a month or two it should be out?

I'm not sure it's a replacement for the P80 as such - as far as I know they're not discontinuing it.

And I thought the P90 was already out, but maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think it's in stores yet. I think they just put the info for it on their website maybe a week ago. It wasn't there a short time ago.

I'm going to go to a piano/keyboard store nearby that has a lot of different keyboard and some used stuff, i'll see what they have in my price range and then check in here to see what you all think of them.
thanks.

The P90 will eventulaly replace the P80. Utilizes same 22 megabyte 3 layer piano sample as found in the P120. It's basically a P120 but without speakers, etc. Weighs 37 lbs as opposed to the 40 lbs of the P80.

P90 and P250 also use the same sample, but the huge difference between the p250 and p90 other than the speakers and 16 track sequencer, polyphony and blah blah blah, is that the P250 has a way more improved playback engine with VSLI chip that does a much better job of reproducing the sample.

If you're a gigger, the P90 would be a great thing to hold out for. For studio/controller use (and if you can fork over the cash) the P250 hands down. I just picked up a P250 a few weeks ago to replace my P200.

Here's more food for thought. The P series from 90 and above can utilize the new Yamaha sustain pedal which can send 0 through 127. Most sustain pedals on the market only transmit 0 OR 127, making the sustained note black/white. The yammie gives you a little more variety and responds according to how far down you push the pedal. It's pretty cool, everybody should have the chance to play around with these boards.

just my 2 pentz.

-muzakal

So you would recomend waitin for the p90 and not getting something like a kurzweil or general music board?

I'm in canada so i won't have access to the p90 for 1-3 months after it hits stores in the US.

I'm not a fan of Kurzweil pianos, and general music definitely doesn't fit my bill, but it's all so subjective. My ears love the P series pianos. I'm also a big Roland piano fan, too (SRX02).

It all depends on the application. If I was in the market for a great sounding piano for gigging, and I didn't have to have it right this minute, then I would start getting my heart set on the P90 for sure.

just my 2 pentz.
-muzakal

P90 for gigging, but for home use, you could use either or. Controlling is a different issue - the P250 would be the route I would take if I were choosing between those 2 boards.

-muzakal

Money is an issue of course...
So i don't think the p250 is an option. i don't know the price but i'm guessing it's quite a lot more than a p90.
The p80 was 1800 in Canada, now it's 1350 at this local place on permanant sale, the p60 is 1150 i think. And when the p90 comes out it will be around 1800. The only problem is it could be months before the p90 is out and i really need something to practice on. I had my first lesson yesterday. I could wait a few weeks, 2, 3, 4. But the p90 could be as much as 3 months away from Canada.

But you'd say in it's price range the p80 is the best bet? It could be used for giging but for the first while when i'm learing it would be for practic and home use, and midi controlling and recording.

that would be it's main purpose. giging is something that would be nice but i could possibly never use. Portability however is a big plus.

P80 would be the way to go if you're looking for superb sound, great feel, and on a budget/time constraint.

-muzakal

Ok thanks man. My piano teacher happens to be a good friend of mine so we're going to go down for a few hours and she's going to test out keyboards for me. We'll try the Yamaha p80, and some other keyboards in a similar price range at this other store. If something comes up that she thinks would be better than the p80 for similar price i'll post it up and see what you think.

I've got a P80 and I love it. Great feel, great piano sound.

The sustain pedal thing on the P90 looks interesting though. However, given my financial situation there's no way I'm gonna be forking out for a P90 any time in the forseeable future. I'm way too happy with the P80 to consider that - and there are things higher on the list (e.g. a new guitar, new bass, new amp).

So does it look like the P90 uses the same samples as the P120?

I played the P120 on one occasion in a music shop. Feel was great - like the P80 (I assume as far as feel goes, they're the same) - and some of the sounds it had were definitely superior to the P80. It had a very nice Rhodes sound - very authentic, right down to the distortion when you press harder. Much better than the P80's Rhodes-like electric piano sound. However, I've got the real thing - a Rhodes Stage 73 Mark I - so that's not really an issue to me :)

The P120 also had a vibes sound, an electric bass, and a few other nice ones. The harpsichord sound on the P120 was also far superior as I recall.

However, IIRC - the P120 has fewer piano sounds? I think it only had 2 (plus variations I guess?) - whereas the P80 has four (plus variations - making 8 in total) - Grand Piano, Classical Piano, Jazz Piano & Rock Piano.

For me, the P80 has exactly what I want - great piano sounds and great action, so it's really not worth upgrading, I don't think.

Hi

P90 uses same 22 megabyte piano sample as the P120.

All P series use the same graded hammer action keybed.

P80's still a great board. Honestly, If I were a P80 owner, I wouldn't consider throwing out the P80 unless I had a P250 in mind. P90 will sound a bit better (P120 sampleset) but not so dramatic that I would throw out my P80.

-muzakal

I'm trying to decide it it's worth waiting a month- 2 months and not having anything to practice on, and paying an extra 500 for it.

I went in with my friend and all of the other keyboards felt like total crap compared to the yamaha p series. I could even tell that, and she obviously could because she is a proffesional player.

Choices, choices.

Yamaha feels pretty darn good, though.

I also own a Kawai MP9000, which I love (piano sample is awesome) but way bulky. Thing weighs more than my mother in law practically. MP9500 incorporates graded hammer action, but still didn't fit the bill for me. It still has to take its deserved second place to the Yamaha GHA. Wooden keys, though. :)

Good luck on your quest.

-Rye

p.s. - I wish they'd just make a module of the P250 that way we could get on with it already. My P250 takes up quite a bit of space over here.

Anybody here happen to know if the P90/120 et al piano samples are the ones used in the S90 synth (which uses the latest Motif sounds, right?)? I've been eyeballing that thing thinking it'd complement my setup nicely.

Sorry, S90 uses much smaller sample for the ever so popular (and craved for by motifers) triple strike piano. S90/Motif have so much more variety in sounds. But if you're looking for that piano sound that melts you every time you play, you'll be disappointed. I've got a motif 8. Love it to death, but damn those pianos.

-muzakal

Oops - forgot to affirm that both S90 and Motif have same sound set.

Have a good one, and enjoy my 2 centz. I'm broke, now.

-muzakal

Back