Yamaha or Pacifics? Need Opinions

Enrique

Hey guys. I have a Mapex V-Series kit that I'm looking to upgrade. With a lot of consideration, my choices finally have come down to either a Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage or a Pacific LX kit. I just want to get a little feedback before I invest into either one. My price range would be "semi-pro". Again, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I have limited experiance with Pacifics - but I do have plenty of experiance with Yamaha drums. I think the Stage Customs are the best low/mid level kit on the market.

I've played some gigs and some practice sessions on sets of Yamaha Stage Customs AND PacificsLXs last year.

The Pacific kit you're looking at features a laquer finish on the drums which would allow for more resonance than a "shell wrap" finish. Just look to the Yahama kit to see if it features a shell wrap or laquer finish because I didn't take note of if they were wrapped or laquer finish but from the looks from my catalog, they're wrapped.

The two major differences between the two kits are the tom sizes and bass drums size. The Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage (non-fusion style) have larger tom sizes in a standard configuration with a smaller bass drum in comparison to the Pacific LX line that touts smaller tom sizes but with a bass drum that is 1" deeper than the Yamaha standard bass drum. I have to say that I couldn't tell that much difference between the two kits to definitively say that one is way better than the other although I did like the deeper tom sounds of the Yamahs over the Pacifics....buyt I like the bass drum on the Pacifics.

When it comes down to such miniscule differences, most modern drumsets sold these days don't really sound THAT different from each other since most of the drum sizes are the same (12",13",16" toms with 22" bass drum) standard sizes unless you "shell" out extra for custom tom sizes (pun intended). I'd imagine whichever set you choose, you'd be more than pleased.

If you want simplicity down the road when replacing drumheads, you'd probably get off cheaper in the longrun going with the Yamaha (NON FUSION) kit as it has standard tom sizes that you can purchase multiple-brand drumhead "pre-packs" at a much better deal as opposed to having to custom order the special sized heads for the Pacifics. Hope this helps you weigh your descision better.

I've had Yamaha Stage Customs since '97; I've got a set of Pacific CXs on layaway, so I guess I can offer a comparison.

With all due respect to fritzmusic, I'd like to offer some differing opinions. First, while the wrapped vs. lacquer argument has been around for a while, it would be difficult to hear the difference in a blind test. Head choice, shell composition and tuning makes 95% of the sound.

More important in my mind is if you'll be gigging the kit or not. If you are, a wrapped kit survives being moved a lot easier.

Regarding tom sizes, the most common are 12/13/16 and 10/12/14. Both are common enought that prepacks of heads should be equally easy to find. The latter sizes will be cheaper, of course.

Right now, you should be able to find significant bargains on 2003 Stage Customs and Pacific drum kits as both lines had significant changes introduced. The Pacific lines (CX and LX) are all maple as opposed to the mixed birch/falkata of the Stage Customs, and hence has more 'respect' as a higher level kit. What is most important is how the kit sounds, and which one sounds the best to you.

Brand new CX kits are going for $700 on eBay, and I bet you can find them locally for the same or less. DW sold the remainder of last year's stock to their dealers for deep, deep discounts.

Used kits are even cheaper. I'm selling my current Stage Custom shell kit 22/10/12/14f/14s for $400 and they're in perfect condition. You should be able to find a similar kit for around the same price.

Enrique - Have you played either one of those sets?
You can't always go by what others say, because what makes a "good" sounding drum is very subjective.
My suggestion is to go to a SamAsh, Guitar Center, or any local music store near you that will allow you to play as many sets as you'd like. That's how you'll know what set is best for you.
When I bought my Tama Starclassic, I went to SamAsh, and played a couple other Tama sets, a couple Yamahas, and a Pacific. Obviously, the Tama sounded the best to me, which is why I bought it.

So, take a Saturday and go to a music store and play as many as you can! You might walk out of there with something you didn't intend on buying. Whatever sounds best to you, that's the one!

- Justin -

True true. The Samash near me has no setup of either for me to try out, damn bastards. I did have the opportunity to crack on some Oak Customs by Yamaha. Let me tell you, they sound pretty damn good for their price. So we'll see. Thanks for the help guys.

I have the Pacific FS birch kit. Since I'm a tuning newb I don't want to make any comments on the sound...but I'm having trouble tuning the bass drum to have some tone...I may end up putting the pillow inside touching the batter head in addition to my Aquarian I SuperKick head. Theses kits have PLENTY of attack..more than the others I've tried in the GC store. The toms sound more "alive" with single ply heads compared to other drumsets I've tried at GC. They look small, but their sound is big. I'm also getting beater rebound out of my Pearl p100 bass drum pedal..maybe just need to break it in. Hopefully the pillow will solve this... The red satin finish is great! FWIW, I do like the focused sound the kit delivers, it's just a matter of tuning and heads to make it perfect for recording. Other than that, so far so good. paid $500 out the door for shell pack and pear pedal new :).

-dejacky

I dont own a yamaha set but I do own one of two silver glitter pacific cx's. I love them they are all maple and kick ass. They are loud good tone and I got lucky I got the second glitter set ever made, the other went to the namm show. I stick behind pacific all the way

The Yamaha's are NOT wrapped...

I love my Yamaha Stage Customs. I have a Fusion Config with Evans G2 Clear heads. Mmmmm. I need to go out and get a new Superkick II. They sound sooo good.

My friend has a Pacific Kit. I like it alot too. I wish he was a little better at tuning so I could actually hear them.

KICK DRUM ISSUE SOLVED!

The resonant side of the kick drum is supposed to be slightly above the ground via the legs on the side...THIS MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE. One of the legs was adjusted lower so the entire bass drum was touching the floor instead of being elevated by the legs and pedal clamp...this killed the sound and was why I wasn't getting any rich sounding "boom/thump." Now, it sounds amazing!
Next, I followed someone's recommendation of tapping the tom shells, while muting the heads, to hear the pitch of the shell. Since I've gotten better at LISTENING for pitch during drum tuning, I noticed all my toms were tuned too low. So, I tune them up to the pitch of the shell and BINGO my kit sounds like something on a studio record..amazing!

This makes practicing drums SO much more worthwhile.. thanks everyone :). This even motivates me to record some samples for you guys sometime....after I'm done with a project though heh.

-dejacky

geet73 said:
The Yamaha's are NOT wrapped...

I love my Yamaha Stage Customs. I have a Fusion Config with Evans G2 Clear heads. Mmmmm. I need to go out and get a new Superkick II. They sound sooo good.

That's the same head I have on my SCs. You should also consider the Evans EMADS. I put one on my BCAs and it is the kick sound I was looking for.

Glenn D.

Yes, the EMADs are awesome. I have it on my kick with the wider muffling ring. I'm probably going to go with the Yamahas. I tried out both sets and the Stage Customs sounded beautiful. Just gotta slap on some remos and an EMAD for the kick and we're in business.

Magpie99,
thank u for the correction. The Pacific FS (birch series) are made in China since it says "made in china" on them heh.

For some reason the nice tone I achieved earlier is gone....i think this bass drum is REALLY finnicky about exact tuning to sound remotely good...not a good sign. At this point I'm about ready to take a hammer to my bass drum since it's pissing me off since it has sooooo much freaking attack it makes all the recordings sound like shit... :mad: I simply can't find that rich "depth" and lower mids boom/thump instead of plastic "tap/crap" sound. :(

I took a chance and tuned the Kick drum what I thought to be "extremely high" and it sounded better!...i'm still experimenting though.. is any1 here familiar with Birch kits sometimes needing to be tuned high to sound fantastic? By fantastic I mean "good thump/boom" in the bass drum not just that plasticy "click" and "tap" sound.

Last edited:
dejacky said:
For some reason the nice tone I achieved earlier is gone....i think this bass drum is REALLY finnicky about exact tuning to sound remotely good...not a good sign. At this point I'm about ready to take a hammer to my bass drum since it's pissing me off since it has sooooo much freaking attack it makes all the recordings sound like shit... :mad: I simply can't find that rich "depth" and lower mids boom/thump instead of plastic "tap/crap" sound. :(
Sorry to hear. Thinking about a new kit like me? lol! I've been checking out Sonor's Force 3003 series. Not only that, Mapex came out with a new lineup, consisting of all-maple shells, similar to that of PDPs series.

Back