Yamaha NS10's???

DL da ARSUN

I always see these monitors in many studio's. What are they exactly used for? Whats the purpose of these monitors meaning are they used for near field or what?

They are yamaha passive near field monitors.

I think alot get them just because they see their buddy with them and that went around now everybody has them.

They're actually supposed to be bad sounding monitors. The relative theory is "if it sounds good on the NS10s, it'll sound good on anything" In any event, they're in every major studio in the world give or take...they're doing something right.

In the 70's they were a fairly standard speaker that everyone was used to, also there was the belief that A&R people would probably listen to a demo on either the NS10's or a comparable JBL system, so if you want to know what they'll be hearing you'd mix on one of them.

Or so a book once told me.... :cool:

yep...they got it all right. they sound horrible...but if you can get a mix to sound good on those, then you'll get a good mix on better speakers. They just happened to become the industry standard....not sure why, but it's like how Auratones became the industry standard for crap speakers for post production. some engineers though like the NS-10s for mixing. They've worked them enough to understand how a mix will sound on a better system so they can get it right the first time.

tsl92802 said:
They're actually supposed to be bad sounding monitors.
They are... ugh - just awful sound...

tsl92802 said:
The relative theory is "if it sounds good on the NS10s, it'll sound good on anything"
That's just a studio urban legend.... if you know the NS-10s shortcomings very well, you can produce good mixes on them, much like any other speaker an engineer might be very familiar with.

However, a novice is not going to be producing good mixes simply because they've got NS-10s..... as a matter of fact, they're likely to produce far worst mixes than if they had a much better-sounding monitor.

The NS-10's were originally sold as home stereo speakers, and somehow got popular among studio engineers. Bruce is quite right when he says "if you know the NS-10s shortcomings very well, you can produce good mixes on them, much like any other speaker an engineer might be very familiar with."
I used to use my NS-10's as my main monitors, but now that I have my Wharfedales, the NS-10's are a second reference.

Yup, them sound shit. But they're supposed to. Right?

Had a pair in one of the studios at college, and they sounded shit way back then with my limited listening experience.

:D

Back