Yamaha NS-10m good bad, okay????????

Fender

I've been really looking around for descent monitors for the last while. My budjet isn't too good. I was looking to get the mackies but to expensive. I just about baught the Tannoy reveal unpowered from ebay for 250.00US but someone outbid me :< Then I saw that there are Yamaha NS-10m's on ebay for 230.00US. First of all, hows that price???????? Second of all how are the monitors???????? I get so confused becauase people say, "Oh, they are the industry standard.", "Oh, their crap, never get those." "All studios have these." ???????? Whould I get these for first monitors, or get something better, or "different" and then later get these? Thanks for your help in advance.

Adam.

NS-10s are the actual standard. That is one of the rare occasions where a statement like that is true. I used to live in Nashville and every studio I ever went into had at least one pair of those stiting on the board. The ones for post-video had more, for 5.1. But anyway, They sound pretty crappy. The idea is, if you can make things sound good on NS-10s, they will sound good anywhere. IN the car, on the clock radio, whatever. I wouldn't use them just to play mp3s with if you are using a computer, but they are very flat. Actually , they don't sound too bad, unless you put them up against something designed to enhance frequecies and not just give you what is there. So, yeah, the price is pretty good, if they get above 300, probably too much though.
MIKE

Try a set of Tannoy Reveal's with a Hafler amp....
Matching the right amp with the right monitors DOES make a difference. This is a great combo for the money. (Less than $700.00 U.S.)

The Yamaha NS-10M Studio monitors are an industry standard near field monitor. For the price you can't beat them. They are a little chincy on tha low end. You can get the low end punch out of them but you'll find the low end on your mixes to be overbearing when played on other systems. As is the case with whatever you're using for monitoring it's best to listen to material that you know how it is supposed to sound (high/mid/low range) in order to establish a reference.

The Yamahas NS-10M's have a bright, crispy top end and a strong low end. This replicates the sound produced by most hi-fi speakers, car stereos, and boomboxes. It's what the people want.

I auditioned studio monitors this year and found the Yamahas are initially very engaging and attention-getting. They *seem* the clearest and the crispest, because you're gettting the boom-sizzle effect.

My listening fatigue with the Yam's set in after 15-20 minutes. By that time I'd already noticed that the mid-range, where the instruments and vocals live, were nearly inaudible.

I settled on a pair of Alesis Monitor Ones, which have a wonderfully clear mid-range, enough top end to articulate timbres, and a ported bass for the thump. I can happily listen for hours. They cost about the same as the Yam's.

One warning though: The mixes I do on the Monitor Ones do not sound the same on my car stereo and home stereo. The top and mid-range are quite accurate, but I hear more bottom-end on the Monitor Ones while mixing than I get when I play the tape back outside the studio. I adjust accordingly. The mids are where the music lives, and that's what I care about.

So the Yamaha NS-10M's are indeed the industry standard, but there's no reason why they have to be yours. Use your ears and go audition monitors with all this in mind.

Personally, a friend's story about engineers stuffing Kleenex into the tweeters of the Yamahas to cut the buzzing says it all about that monitor.

Back