Yamaha MG166cx-USB + Presonus Firepod

demetrius2

Hi, everyone. I have a question on how to hook up my Presonus Firepod Interface and My Yamaha MG166cx-USB. I’ll be using Cubase 5 as my DAW.

What I want to do is to be able to control the mic levels using Yamaha’s gain knobs and faders, thus using the mixer’s preamps and phantom power, and then send it to Cubase though the Firepod.

I want to use the mixer before the interface because I need more than 8 channels, to record at least 10 mics at once.

How can I send individual tracks from this particular mixer to the Firepod? I don’t see dedicated outputs for individual channel on the mixer.

Looks like best you are going to do is get your mics hooked up and then group them on the mixer, then send each group to a channel on the Firepod. I states it has two instrument inputs, but all I saw was the inserts on the back. If it does have to analog inputs, you could send two groups to those, but I am not 100% those are inputs 9&10, I would consult the owner's manual on that one.

Depending on how you group with your mixer, depends how many more mics you can get. 4 to a group to each group, or ...

Your choices are not great.

You can use the insert sockets on the Yamaha as direct outs, which can then go into the Firepod. But (a) they are most likely pre-fade, and (b) there are only eight of them.

As DM60 said, they way to get more than the eight channels of the Firepod is to do some pre-mixing.

On the Yamaha you have four group outputs and three sends. By selectively pre-mixing sources into these, you have seven outputs that can go straight into firepod, and then a spare on the firepod itself.

Back