Yamaha MG102c - What inputs will play on headphones?

clayhawks

I hope this is the correct place to ask this question. That being said here goes. I have a Yamaha MG102c mixer. It has 4 XLR/1/4 inch inputs. I have my PC output plugged into the 2TR in RCA jacks and when I plug my headphones in I can hear content being played on the PC fine. However when I plug a known good microphone into channel1 and crank up the volume, I hear no sound through the headphones. This is the same for channels 2 through 4. I tried plugging my guitar in as well with the same result. When I toggle the "To Stereo/Monitor" button, I hear the microphone and or guitar through the main speakers fine. Am I missing something completely simple? Or is this mixer not capable of sending that signal to the headphones?

Thanks!

I suspect what you're missing is the "Monitor Mix" knob. Bring your PC output into the 2-Trk in (as you've done), set the switch to send this to the monitor (not the main mix) then use the Monitor Mix to balance the levels between PC playback and live stuff on the mixer inputs.

The signal flow diagram gives this information (rather badly).

Yamaha-Monitor_zpsd06b94f6.jpg

tthat switch ONLY toggles where the 2TR jacks go ..... it's labelled as such. It lets you send those two signals to the monitor OR to the stereo.

From what I'm seeing in the pic I pulled up ..... the headphones should play whatever comes out of the 'stereo out' jacks. Of course the channels need their main volumes up ..... the sreeo/phone knob needs to be up and possibly the stereo/master volume needs to be up.
If any of those are down you wouldn't get any signal.

That's all I can see unless there's some switching on the back of the board I can't see.

The switch only does that toggling as you say--and obviously you don't want to loop the PC out back to itself, hence my comment about setting it "To Monitor".

The important thing appears to be the Monitor Mix knob which, if I read the manual correctly, provides the same function as a similar control on an interface, allowing the OP to mix what he hears in his headphones between the PC out and the input channels on the mixer.

Back