Yamaha MG Mixers

Pughbert

So im looking for a mixer with a wide range of ins, outs etc. Being a student, studying music, i have no real money but need my gear to be of a standard. It will be used mainly in my recording chain - hooked up to a Edirol FA 101. But it will also follow me around at gigs. The MG 16/4 fits my needs great for that, and fits my pocket even better (im a student).

But has anyone used them?
Good for the price? (guess it has to be!)
Good forgetting the price?

Cheers

It seems almost unanimous amongest the budget users in this forum that there is perhaps not a btter mixer for the price than the Yamaha MG series, and that they are as good, if not better, than even some more expensive mixers. Of course you're not going to get the quality of many of the mixers at double or triple the cost, but in it's bracket there appears to be little competition.

G.

man I just ordered an MG24 and I can't wait. I used to have a yamaha 8-track minidisc portastudio deal. the mixer was great on it. I hope this sounds like that unit did.

holy gawd this thing is massive....I had no idea. I love the "ON" buttons, they're great. the sliders are dank, and the layout and the meters are very nice. the effects are pretty good too, that was unexpected. I haven't done any A/B's with the preamps yet so I don't want to say anything there. but I would expect they are solid for about $50 per channel. the summing is good. like I said I can't really speak for the pres or the eq really but after 1 project I'm not dissapointed..I am still very excited about this desk. the one thing that really pisses me off though is this excerpt from the product description:

"14 buses offer convenient routing options. These include the main program bus; 4 stereo channel bus pairs for grouping channels, 6 aux buses (4 pre or post, 2 effects sends), and 2 internal effect buses for the dual effects processors. "

either this is simply not true, or I am missing something. From what I can tell, it does not have 4 stereo channel bus pairs. it has 4 mono groups that can be panned. so you really get 2 stereo groups. I had wanted an 8 bus mixer, and I was willing to settle for 4 stereo busses, but this is really a 4 bus. still, the mackie 8 bus is about 4x the price and people say they break so I'm probably going to keep this one. It is, very nice.

Back