Yamaha KX88 Keyboard Useage

Allan

Hi All,

The Yamaha KX88 keyboard is a pretty old unit now (I think the original release date for these keyboards was 1980?). However, looking at reviews it seems that this keyboard is still pretty popular and sells well as a used keyboard.

My question is with respect to how people would implement this type of keyboard in their set ups. I understand that it doesn't actually have audio inputs and outputs as it is a midi master controller. I assume because of this, a tone generator is needed (whether a second keyboard with a tone generator or a rack mounted tone generator etc) for sounds to be produced and controlled by the keyboard? I see that Christine Mcvee used one in her set up with Fleetwood Mac ( I can't remember if it is on the "Tango In The Night" DVD or the "Dance" DVD). She also uses it a lot on her new album. There must be something pretty good about this keyboard if it is still in demand?

Any ideas on how this unit would be typically used in a set up is appreciated.

Thanks.
Allan

Ahhhh, a question right in my wheelhouse!

I am a proud, longtime owner of a KX88. I've had mine for approximately 17 years, give or take and it still works perfectly!

I don't know for certain, but I think it might be the all-time leader in terms of length of production as Yamaha only discontinued it a couple of years ago.

It's a beast of a keyboard! If you're getting one for gigging, make sure you have someone to help you as it weighs a ton and is huge. Of course, because of that, it's practically bullet-proof!

Your understanding of what it is is correct. It is a MIDI controller only. It produces no sounds. The reason it was around for so long and is still revered is the quality of the keyboard action. Many people feel that it has simply the best "feel" of any controller ever produced. Admittedly, this is a subjective thing, but nearly 20 years of sales tells me a lot of people felt it was good.

It has MIDI In and Out, no Thru. This can be somewhat of a limitation, but with the multiple I/O interfaces available now, it's not really a problem. It has two pedal connections for volume and sustain. There are two (if I remember right) footswitch connections as well. It also has the ubiquitous Modulation and Pitch Bend wheels. There are four sliders which you can assign as you wish, albeit with a bit of effort. It has two on/off switches and 5 momentary switches. It also has a breath controller input. There are 32 pushbuttons for selecting patches. It's also possible to switch it into a mode where you first select a bank and then a patch. This is great for synths nowadays that have so many patches in them. You can save 16 setup configurations. It has extensive MIDI implementation, nearly anything can be assigned to anything. However accessing all of it requires a bit of programming. The manual is well written, but the programming is tedious.

Of course, it's not necessary to do anything to it as the basic functions do what you would expect.

Limitations? One big one would be that it can only handle two MIDI channels at a time and your options are pretty basic- You can split the keyboard (you can freely and easily designate the split point) or you can layer both channels. That's it. No crossfading, no velocity switching, no multiple channels, nothing fancy.

In my setup (home studio), I use it as my main controller. I have all my synths MIDI'd to it and I simply switch between them or layer them as necessary.

If you've done a google search on it and read reviews on Harmony Central and Sonic State, then you know that this is one of those pieces of gear that people simply love and would never part with. Some things are just "right", you know? Even after all these years, I look forward to sitting down at this keyboard and playing. It feels good and makes me want to play. For me, very few things do that.

Ted

Thanks for the feedback Ted. I have a Yamaha S90 which I'm pleased with and was looking at increasing my keyboard stuff. Sounds like it will probably be a good option for me.

Allan

I've fooled around with the S90 at the music stores and it has a great action too. I've thought about getting one, more than a few times.

Ted

I'm really pleased with it Ted. I installed 3 plug in boards to expand its capabilities (PLG100VH Vocal harmony, PLG150AN Analog and PLG150DR drums). It has its limitations compared to the actual Motif's, but for the price, its great IMHO.

I have all my midi backing tracks loaded onto the smart media card in the back of the S90 and run them for gigs and practicing. You can also edit the voices via PC. Great flexibility.

Allan.

I'm also a long time owner of a KX88, around 17 years or so as well.

Allan, if you have the S90, why do you also want a KX88? Can't you use the S90 as your master controller? It is well suited for that.

There is one feature of the KX88 in particular that is unique to it, and makes it indispensible in my studio: Yamaha designed the top face of it flat, with a recessed area that contains the membrane button controls. Nobody else has done this to my knowledge. What this menas is that I can use the face of the controller as a tabletop surface for my computer keyboard, mouse, remote for my KSP8, papers, etc. Tremendously practical.

As far as how I use the KX88, I take the midi output into a midi input on my MOTU MTP AV/USB, and control my racks of midi synths with it. All the midi routing and channelization is taken care of by my sequencer, Digital Performer.

I bought one new in 1989. I spent months searching for a keyboard with the ideal weighted action as I spent my teenage years studying classical on a Steinway grand in my parents house and got used to that feel. The KX-88 was the closest to that upscale grand piano feel I could find at the time. I haven't felt the need to look for anything better else since.

There's just one or two places on the keyboard where when I play trills or repeated 32nds and 64ths the action is not responding quick enough. This is a problem that has developed only recently and I'm sure can be remedied with some minor mechanical adjustment.

Last edited:
Allan said:
Hi All,

The Yamaha KX88 keyboard is a pretty old unit now (I think the original release date for these keyboards was 1980?). However, looking at reviews it seems that this keyboard is still pretty popular and sells well as a used keyboard.

My question is with respect to how people would implement this type of keyboard in their set ups. I understand that it doesn't actually have audio inputs and outputs as it is a midi master controller. I assume because of this, a tone generator is needed (whether a second keyboard with a tone generator or a rack mounted tone generator etc) for sounds to be produced and controlled by the keyboard? I see that Christine Mcvee used one in her set up with Fleetwood Mac ( I can't remember if it is on the "Tango In The Night" DVD or the "Dance" DVD). She also uses it a lot on her new album. There must be something pretty good about this keyboard if it is still in demand?

Any ideas on how this unit would be typically used in a set up is appreciated.

Thanks.
Allan

As the Resident Christine McVie Expert, I can tell you that she uses the KX88 on both the Tango in the Night and The Dance DVDs and tours. She purchased it probably around 87 for The Tango CD and Tour. She had also been seen using a DX7 in a music video from this time, and it would make sense that she would connect the KX88 to a TX7 or something like that. And so, she kept it for 10 years and used it through The Dance. (Except using a whole rack of stuff, including a computer running Emu sampler software for Fender Rhodes patches)

I don't know if she's still using it or not on her current album. I sent in a question to her Q&A about what she used during Tango as well as what she's using now. Hopefully I'll get an answer back soon.

Thanks for the feedback Guys. With respect to SonicAlbert's question, I'm fairly new to keyboards and synth's in general and the S90 is the only synth I have ever owned. After watching the Fleetwood Mac DVD's, I was interested in what Christine McVie was using (I spelt her name wrong in my first email. Appologies Christine), and did some reviews on the internet. As I am currently looking for a second keyboard, the KX88 got my attention. hixmix's reply above has also increased my interest as I currently take piano lessons on a Steinway and the action is a lot heavier than the S90.

You're right though, my S90 is more than adequate and it seems strange wanting a twenty year old keyboard. It's not to replace it, It's just another instrument to my collection, that I think I would use a lot in my home studio. Also, based on the feedback I am getting from this forum, tells me that whoever has one is keeping hold of it.

Alexbt, thanks for clarifying Christines set up. On Christine's web site, she is playing the KX88 with her nephew playing guitar for her new album. I didn't realize that fleetwood Mac was using samplers and midi etc?

Thanks again for the feedback guys.

Allan

Kx 88 Owners !!

Hi Allan,Tedluk,Sonic Albert,hixmix

Please help me.I have also KX88 since 1988 and without any trouble.Except now.And I can not find service or troubleshooting.After turning on there is often a freeze down.I can not switch Single or Split.It is always in Dual Mode.What can I do.Reset with A and B Bank:no result.

Thanks in advance

Robert

Allan,

I'm in agreement with SA above - I don't think the KX-88 will give you anything you don't have in the S90. Get yourself a nice rack module instead :)

problem with the Yamaha kx88

I read that you are a long time user of the kx88 and since I am having an issue, I thought you might be able to help. It is a complicated controller so I might not have it set up right.
I have finally re-set up my keyboard after a few years of it sitting in it's case. I use an E-mu Proteus sound module.
My problem is that I can't get anything to work. I'm not too worried about the Proteus (easily replaceable) but I do like the keyboard. So far I have borrowed a Roland sound module, but it won't detect midi activity from the kx88. I have also bought a USB conector and it won't detect midi signals, so it really appears that that keyboard isn't producing a signal from the midi out. I am ready to start attacking it with a screwdriver and start fiddling with it, but don't see (without removing probably too many screws) how to crack open. (it does look like it has a hinged panel top.)
Before I damage it beyond use, is there anything I should be looking at? It looks like it is working fine from the lights, and it is still in good shape and seems would be almost bulletproof, so maybe I'm missing something simple. I do read in the manual it has a battery, and although I'm not getting a warning message, I wonder if that could have anything to do with it.
Any ideas that you would like to share?
Thanks,
Stuart

The first thing I would do is swap midi cables, if you haven't already. Try a fresh midi cable or two, making sure the midi out of the Yamaha is connected to the midi in of the module. It's easy to plug the cables into the wrong connectors, I've done it many times.

I'd also reset the KX88. Turn the power on while holding down the A & B bank buttons. Then press "MS1" to get the KX88 back into single mode.

Make sure your module is set to receive midi in either omni mode or channel one, so that it will match what is being sent from the KX88.

Hope some of this helps.

RE: problem with the Yamaha kx88

Thanks for posting Albert.
I'm afraid to say that I have tried all that. The new midi-USB interface unit (bought to help with diagnosis of this issue) came with new cables to attach the computer to the keyboard. The USB unit has lights indicting midi activity. After attaching the new "midi in" cable of the interface to the "midi out" of the kx88, and bashing the keys, the unit does not indicate any "midi in" activiy. If I play midi files on the computer, the unit shows the "midi out" lights flickering. Evidence still points to no midi out activity from the KX88.
I downloaded the instruction manual from Yamaha (amazed they still provided it! - free!) so it did direct me to the reset. I have tried sending data in single and dual mode, but that is about the limit of my ideas.
I don't suppose anyone on the forum has had issues with midi connectors on the devices needing maintained or replaced?
Thanks.

KX-88 Questions

I teach at Auburn University and had done some digging in our building to see what we owned in terms of keyboards. Since I am the Jazz Ensemble Director, I needed to try to locate a keyboard that would be versatile for what I needed it to do and also already on our inventory. I ran across a Yamaha KX88. The problem is that the power cord to this keyboard has long been missing. The keyboard seems to be in good condition, but I can't tell without being able to plug it into something. This brings up a few questions.

1. In reading the replies to the KX-88 thread, I am curious to know if this keyboard would be something to continue to use in the ensemble here at Auburn.

2. If parts are somewhat obsolete, am I out of luck in trying to find a power cord for this keyboard.

3. This keyboard seems to be one of the "state of the art" keyboards that Yamaha had put out in the 80's. That being said, how would I begin using this instrument now...be it that I am a trumpet player and looking for a way to not have to reinvent the wheel in terms of equipment. What would I need to purchase to make this instrument ready for use?

4. Since this looks like a MIDI Controller, am I out of luck in terms of using it for live performance applications? Anyone have any clues on this?

5. I downloaded the instruction manual off of the Yamaha site for this keyboard, can anyone else direct me to a logical (and cost effective) setup for performance?

Thank you for your time. I am very curious to see what all this instrument can do, and from the thread that has been posted, I should consider myself quite lucky that the University owns a keyboard of this vintage.

Ray

KX88 Boot Problem

I have had the same problem. I did many repeated initializations until the instrument finally booted up okay. Now, after I play it for an hour or so, some of its functions, i.e., the membrane switches, freeze up, and don't work at all. After leaving it sit for a while, it seems to return to normal. I have called Yamaha, in Toronto, about this, and they have told me the the CPU is not manufactured anymore. Lovely! This is my favourite keyboard of all time, and I wish I could replace it. I haven't even been able to find a used one on E-Bay. Anyway, try several initializations of the instrument, and you might be good to go for a while. Incidentally, I need to leave mine on all of the time, just in case!

Cheers,
Keith.

Last edited:
9 years is not too late!

In response to the professor above: it is trivial to replace the power connector with the more ubiquitous kettle lead.

My kx88 serves me well to this day. It is a beast. Very heavy and an outdated (albeit) powerful midi programming implementation.

I have considered having the key action rebalanced, but due to lack of expertise and... 2021 ... don't know exactly how I would go about that. Also the 80s pvc/plastic over the membranes is garbage. If you buy this controller, have a supplier for replacements.

Pro: does everything within 2 midi channels
Con: must be an olympian weight lifter to move and an astrophysicist to program

Back