yamaha dx7

visa

i know that this synth has been discussed several times here.

though, it would be nice if someone could clear some things up for me regarding the sounds that this 80s synth can achieve.

i'm confused by the whole concept of those little flash cards or whatever they are. are they still available? what do i need them for? does the dx7 have an internal sound bank?

i'm looking for a cheap synth that can produce rhodes and piano sounds, some nasty electro sounds as well as some decent enough strings.

also, are the keys of the dx7 touch sensitive?

The cartriges are just preprogrammed patches, you really have no need of the ROM ones, the RAM ones will expand how many patches you can store at once though (the DX has 32 patch memory onboard)

There are so many resources for DX's on the net (1000s of patches, librarians, editors) and the fact that it is very easy to send patches to a DX allow you a huge sound library. In fact DX sysex files (patch files) are compatable with the software version of it, the FM7.

the DX is velocity sensitive.

If your in the market for a DX, I recommend the DX7 II since it has quite a few improvements over the MK I

i'm looking for a cheap synth that can produce rhodes and piano sounds, some nasty electro sounds as well as some decent enough strings.

The DX7 is ok for Rhodes and electric piano type sounds. I wouldnt use it for strings and piano, you could do a lot better with something like a JV1010 module ( Roland) which are pretty cheap.

Native instruments makes a software version (FM7). I have it and it sounds just like the real thing, which is not nearly as impressive as it was in the 80s :p

Piano? JV1010?

Maybe it's me, but I don't care for the pianos in my JV1010. They have this weird ringing when you sustain a note. It's not as bad as the PCM-sound of the U-20 (YUCK!) but it's noticable.

I think the strings sound okay too. I mean (ducking! :D ) everybody expects sampled strings these days. You union guys just cost too much. :p

I will say the 1010 sounds better through a good preamp than straight up through a Mackie 1402. Some of the samples are pretty low volume.

I do like some of the Clavi and organ sounds. Some of the drums sound pretty decent too.

I think the point was JV-1010 versus DX7 for piano and strings. Even with the flaws of the JV piano, it is worlds ahead of the DX piano.

However, for Rhodes, EP and clav type sounds the DX7 is still very good.

The DX7II is a much better keyboard than the original, if you can find one in your price range.

SonicAlbert said:
I think the point was JV-1010 versus DX7 for piano and strings. Even with the flaws of the JV piano, it is worlds ahead of the DX piano.

However, for Rhodes, EP and clav type sounds the DX7 is still very good.

The DX7II is a much better keyboard than the original, if you can find one in your price range.

Give the man a cigar. :cool: Yes, the JV1010 is not a Steinway but compared to a DX7 its a.... Steinway. :D

I like the DX7, as I said I have the software equal. I wouldnt use it for many imitative sounds other than the Rhodes and E-pianos.

I think the strings sound okay too. I mean (ducking!
You better duck :D I find the JV1010 good as an all-puropose synth for covering the basics. It aint nothing fancy but does a decent job on the General midi type sounds.

I have never found a better clav sound than the DX7 clav. I'm still really fond of that Joe Zawinul patch. The DX II has a great Rhodes. The DX also does great analog synth sounds, like a moog. I have to admit, I've always like that tubular bell sound. The DX is supremely programmable, for a novice or for a patch engineer. It is a very "controllable" keyboard.

And I am not happy at all with my U20 piano sounds, but compared to the DX7 piano, even the U20 is a Steinway!

I remember the DX7 hitting the shops for the first time... I hated it... I was lost...

I could walk up to a JP-8 and get pretty much any sound I wanted out of it and I'll always be a fan of subtractive synthesis... I just couldn't get my head around the way the DX7 worked :eek:

I could walk up to a JP-8 and get pretty much any sound I wanted out of it and I'll always be a fan of subtractive synthesis... I just couldn't get my head around the way the DX7 worked

I did the same thing :D

check out one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/E-MU-Proteus-PK...itemZ7405282088QQcategoryZ29552QQcmdZViewItem

It is a proteus 2000 with keyboard and can be had for the same as a DXII but it has amazing sounds for piano strings etc , cetainly better than the DX and the Roland.

I use the proteus 2000 rack and it really is one of my most used synths.

cortexx said:
I did the same thing :D

check out one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/E-MU-Proteus-PK...itemZ7405282088QQcategoryZ29552QQcmdZViewItem

It is a proteus 2000 with keyboard and can be had for the same as a DXII but it has amazing sounds for piano strings etc , cetainly better than the DX and the Roland.

I use the proteus 2000 rack and it really is one of my most used synths.

I nearly went for the Proteus but I had decided to go for the new breed of analog modelling synths instead. Always looked like a great piece of kit to me though... might get one some day;)

I like the Proteus stuff as well, I used to have one.

I am the Will Rogers of Keys, I never met one I didnt like. :D Perhaps a Casio or PSR, but other than that you can get SOMETHING out of just about any Keyboard, I wish I had a roomful. The DX7 is a dinosaur but you could still use a few of the sounds very effectively. I remember how cool it was when it first came out. God I'm old. :mad:

ahh my era---- sell the DX and get a D50
ease of use-ease of keys-more stable. Alas---both dinosaurs now-but damn try find a patch close to em--thats as phat or mellow.

ahh bows head at death of mulitimble,,,,(back then)
:) :confused: :) :) :)

RolandD50 said:
ahh my era---- sell the DX and get a D50
ease of use-ease of keys-more stable. Alas---both dinosaurs now-but damn try find a patch close to em--thats as phat or mellow.

ahh bows head at death of mulitimble,,,,(back then)
:) :confused: :) :) :)
I have had a D50 for ever, loved the sounds, but it is just TOO noisy.

Sucks for piano, though. Never ever found a patch that I liked. IMHO, pianos are NOT the D50 or DX7's strength.

Believe it or not, there is an 88 key Casio that has a really nice piano patch in it..... I've always been pleasantly surprised by the apparent quality of the Casio piano sounds. Nothing like a Motif though......

I have the VC-1 D-50 card which i plug into a Vari-OS .

Or I`ll plug it into my V-synth :D

I was loaned a DX7 a few months ago by a guy that was about to ebay it, I hated it just as much as I did the day it came out :( , i couldnt even justify buying it as a midi controller.

Come on people.....
The DX had great sounding string patches.
Realistic sounding.....NO!!!
Did they kick a whole load of ass,
with there bigger than life sound.....YES!!!
I think some people here are in denial, and wished the 80's never happened.
Now where's that damned hairspray....

And where's my damned hair...........

Dx7 2d with grey matter

I'm looking for someone that have an answer to my question. I have a Yamaha dx7 and it ran out of battery so i replaced it but the problem is i lost all the sounds that was in it. This keyboard has E matter chip installed from the previous owner. If anyone know what to do please let me know. And also I bought a sound cd off someone on ebay. I don't know how to install it into my dx7 since i don't have the manual. I would like to know the answer to that also.

thanks
yean

Back