Yamaha Dx7

gasal69

I am about to buy YAMAHA DX7 but I am afraid this one is too old and is not worth using.
I’m guitar player and I do not use keyboards much. I would like to have it for some songs but I don’t want use too much money.

Should I buy it or just pass it?

Back in its day, the DX7 was the hottest synth around. I haven't seen one in use for quite a long time, though. Your lack of enthusiasm for this particular one says to me - pass on it.

I agree about your lack of enthusiasm regarding the DX7, that's a sign you probably should skip it. The best keyboards are the ones that inspire you.

Funny....I still have a Yamaha DX7 (the S model), don't use it much and haven't for a few years. BUT back in the late 80's/early 90's, I loved that darn thing! Last time I used it was maybe in 1997 or so, and used a couple patches live - a B3 patch of all sounds.

I guess my question to you would be "what kind of sounds are you looking for"? If you're looking to compliment your guitar tracks, you might be best with a "bread and butter" type keyboard/synth. What exactly do you hope to spend?

Even though the DX7 was the hottest synth around for a few years, I was never that much a fan of the sounds (although the DX "Rhoads" sound was very decent). I did however think the DX7 had pretty decent feel.

It does not seem like you are too pumped about buying it - whiich is not a good start. As already suggested, determine what sounds you need.

In my opionion the DX is good at

Rhoads sound (although a very "Yamaha" type Rhoads)
Bright attack pads

DX is not that good at

Hammond sounds
Strings
Warmer pads

Also - keep in mind this is an old keyboard. The battery my be dead or close to it (not an easy thing to open up and replace).

Thank you guys

Thank you guys!
No one voted for DX7. That means: I’ll pass it.
It was really cheep (200 $) and I thought: let me just have it.
Then I started to think: It’s going to collect dust somewhere on my closet together with other old instruments.
Maybe I should sell everything old and spend some decent money on one decent keyboard.

Two more unknown for me!

What about KORG X5D (500$)
and
KORG 01 7 Wfd (350$)

I can spend 1000$ but as I said I am guitar player and don't know much about
keyboards and synths.

I don't care for the X5D, it sounds cheap to me and there is limited programming.

On the other hand, the O1W is a classic keyboard and still sounds great in my opinion. That would be worth having. I'm assuming that it is the O1W that you are referring to by "KORG 01 7 Wfd".

gasal69 said:
What about KORG X5D (500$)
and
KORG 01 7 Wfd (350$)

I can spend 1000$ but as I said I am guitar player and don't know much about
keyboards and synths.

I would take a M,T or 01 series Korg over the newer X and N series synths anyday.

Bought both the X5D (new) and M1r (used). Kept the M1r and dumped the X5D. The older Korgs have much better build quality, keybeds and better sounding DACs.

I have the X5D and it's OK. It's certainly enough for my needs. But some of the patches are kinda dated and the keys are not weighted. I agree with brzilian about the other Korg series.

brzilian said:
I would take a M,T or 01 series Korg over the newer X and N series synths anyday. Bought both the X5D (new) and M1r (used). Kept the M1r and dumped the X5D. The older Korgs have much better build quality, keybeds and better sounding DACs.

I remember my late T1 , really made me a confident about build quality upon unpacking the same. Don't you people miss that elegant minimalist button layout of M,T 0xW and Wavestaion (keyboard) series.

It had a such beautiful expressive object essence, communicating a real visual pleasure to observe its simple lines, never at expense of functionality, almost a perfect wed (it there is such thing)

Even today when I look at those models they appear to me as future designs.
Pity Korg abandoned that later, it really made Korg unique.

MadAudio said:
Back in its day, the DX7 was the hottest synth around. I haven't seen one in use for quite a long time, though. Your lack of enthusiasm for this particular one says to me - pass on it.

Well, it was really a duo.

D50 and DX7.

God only knows how many players was using this setup.

Particularly as live setup. Like a twins ;)

:D Yo Gas:

I enjoyed my DX7 for more than 15 years. Learned a great deal about that synth as Yamaha provided a plethora of instructional material and I bought a few "easy to do" books.

But, in 15 years the technology has really advanced in the sound/patch department.

I plugged in a new Yam Motif and put my DX7 in its case. There is a tremendous quality difference when recording from the Motif. The Motif has more stuff on it, in it, and around it to keep me hunting and pecking for a long, long time.

As long as I'm posting, anyone know of any "easy to do" books regarding the Yam Motif series? I haven't found any yet.

If I were you, I'd pass on the DX7 and get a newer synth.

Green Hornet :cool:

The Green Hornet said:
:D Yo Gas:

I enjoyed my DX7 for more than 15 years. Learned a great deal about that synth as Yamaha provided a plethora of instructional material and I bought a few "easy to do" books.

But, in 15 years the technology has really advanced in the sound/patch department.

I plugged in a new Yam Motif and put my DX7 in its case. There is a tremendous quality difference when recording from the Motif. The Motif has more stuff on it, in it, and around it to keep me hunting and pecking for a long, long time.

As long as I'm posting, anyone know of any "easy to do" books regarding the Yam Motif series? I haven't found any yet.

If I were you, I'd pass on the DX7 and get a newer synth.

Green Hornet :cool:

www.motifator.com has a DVD series for sale that does just what you ask:

http://secure.keyfax.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=FullMV

While on the Motif topic, it should be noted that you can add the equivalent of a DX7 to the Motif in the form of a PLG-150DX expansion board effectively turning a Motif into a DX7:

http://secure.keyfax.com/Merchant2/...Code=M&Product_Code=PLG150DX&Category_Code=EB

Look into Kurzweil synths and keyboards.

I bought a Kurzweil K2000 for <$200 on ebay on a whim and it's been one the most usable, inspirational, and solid investments I've made.

It's got everthing from straight-up pianos and organs to trancey soundscape-ish type pads. Lots of potential with the extensive programming capabilities, and the aftertouch is very responsive.

brzilian said:
You cannot program the TX7 from the front panel. That is a big minus in my book.

They're supposedly very difficult to program the DX7 in that way. I setup my patches on the computer and send them over with SYSEX. I then control the module from my master keyboard. Same functionality to me, if not better.

Back