Yamaha DTX vs. Roland TD-8, TD-10

RobertPhilbeck

Hello all,
Ive been drumming for about 6 months now, and I think im ready to move away from the DTX. I have to stick with digital drums cause I live in an apt. The rubber pads just dont cut it for me anymore, and Im finding fewer and fewer of the sounds to be useful in the DTX module(I only care about acoustic kit sounds).
I played The V-Custom, and V-Pro this weekend, but it was very difficult to critique the tones because of the millions of things going on at guitar center! I really love the way the mesh drum heads feel, and now that Ive played them I have to have them.
So I may upgrade my Yamahas to the Pintech heads, but if the module is worth the extra cash I may just sell the DTX, and get the V-Drums!
So, In your experianced opinion, are the tonal qualities of the Roland modules so much better than the DTX that it would be worth the cash to upgrade, or is the difference minimal?

The top-of-the-range Roland sounds are better than the DTX - but only slightly. If you got bored of the DTX sounds - you'll soon get bored of the Roland V-drums sound. The thing is, you're looking for tonal variation each time you hit a drum. You miss the power, warmth, resonance etc. of real drums. That just won't happen on an e-kit.

Sure, playing mesh pads feels nice after rubber, but soon becomes tiresome because you lose some of the "bounce" and your flams and doubles become harder to pull off.

Like all electronic musical equipment, the novelty soon wears off and the sound quickly dates. The only thing you have left is your ability - and that is the most important thing. A great drummer will make any kit he's playing sound good. I once had the benefit of hearing Jon Hiseman (Colliseum) playing on some pan lids and hardback books with his hands. It blew me away.

My advice - save your money and work on your technique. No-one is as good as they want to be...

Very well put, nubius. I agree, totally. Nothing beats good technique!

Robert, I own the Yamaha DTX kit and the only complaint I have is the feel of using a rubber pad for the snare.
I'm going to upgrade to a Pintech double-trigger mesh-head for a more realistic feel and sound.
Buying the overpriced Roland kit wouldn't really make you happy, as nubius stated. The differences are minimal, and the cost is astronomical.
Stick with the set you have and try using the Pintech head for your snare, and then decide if you want to replace the rest.
The DTX is a really nice kit, especially if you read the manual and know how to fine-tune each kit (and each drum) to get exactly the sounds you want.

Nubius!
Thanks for the advice, my technique is definitly something im always focusing on. I apreciate the advice.
Buck,
Thanks for the lead on the pintechs. I finally sat down with the V-Drums and discovered that IMO the tones are no better than the Yamaha....the only benefit I could see were the neato graphics on the Roland display that are very clear and easy to read, and there are quite a few more drums sounds. However, Im going to put the Pintechs all around my DTX, and in the future if I wanna shell out the cash for the TD-8, or TD-10 I'll have all the befits of the V-Drums at a fraction of the price!

THanks
Robert

Back