Yamaha DSP Factory questions

PeteHalo

Is the DS2416 mixer soundcard already outdated or is it still a valid piece of gear for computer studio? My recording/mixing rig currently consists of a Fostex VF16 multitracker connected to computer using ADAT i/o thru Terratec EWS88D soundcard and I'm using n-Track as mixing software. As the DS2416s are quite cheap now I was thinking maybe I'll replace my currrent card with a DS2416/AT16 combo so I'll be able to ease the load off from the CPU to DS2416 and use the card's eq, dynamics processing and mixing capabilities. Is there any (valid) reasons why I shouldn't do this?

Keep in mind the DSP Factory doesn't come with any application software. You'll need Cakewalk or Minnetonka or something like that. I had one with the AX44 interface for a year or so. Got some great sound from it but the software issues (very cumbersome) had me looking for something else within 6 months. At the time, both pieces together had just dropped from about US $1200 to about $235 so I can't complain. Honestly, I would look for something more supportable unless it's really cheap and temporary.

DD

I agree...
Also, although 3rd party software is now compatible...it doesn't take advantage of the cards full capability.

I believe Cubase VST 5 has built in support for all the functionality of the card. And juging by the screenshots at www.c-mexx.com taken from the c-console program the DS2416 has tremendous potential if you learn to take the full advantage of it.

Now I've managed to locate a guy who is willing to part with his DS2416 for 250 euros (the same in $$$). Initially I was looking for one with the adat extension but now I believe I can use the DS2416 with the EWS88D already in my computer by routing the SPFID output of DS2416 to EWS88D's SPDIF input and from EWS888D's adat output to Fostex.

Now to the actual question. How good are those two on-board effects processors of DS2416? According to the ds2416 manual they are of the same quality as the REV500/PRO3R. As the reverbs are the most power hungry effects I think it makes sense to move that load off of the computer CPU over to DS2416 and use the saved CPU cycles for some VST or DirectX effects plugins.

those things were going for under $200 US brand new quite a while ago.....Id only recommend one of these dudes if you had an older computer that needed to DSP processing power and if you could get it real cheap.....

Yes, you could use the DS2416 as an effects card using the routing you planned, although you'd only have 2 channel out on the SPDIF. If you had the AX16, you'd have 8 out.

I read in a review once that the verbs sounded like good Yamaha verbs, if you like Yamaha verbs. I like them OK.

I think the question is if it's worth EUR250 just for reverb and effects? If you want to use the effects AND the dynamics and EQ, then it's cool, especially on an old box. I used to use mine on a 200 CPU, now I have an 800 but with either one I could run 16 track playback with EQ and compression and with 2 effects.

If you're really interested send me a short clip and I'll verb it for you.

Thanks for you insight. The money is not the issue here because we're not talking about thousands of $$$ and the prices you guys pay for your gear has nothing to do with prices this side of the pond anyhow. My goal here is to be able to use as many real time effects and software instruments at mixdown as possible by sharing the load between the computers processor (AMD XP 1600+) and the dsp on ds2416. To me it looks like with ds2416 I don't have to use the CPU power for dynamics, eq and 'verbs which takes a pretty thick slice of workload off of the computer's processor. As I've been working with client-server computer systems for many years this idea of sharing the workload between different processors is quite natural way of thinking to me and knowing how fragile a system with all those plugins and virtual instruments running on the same CPU can be I'd be very pleased to be able to isolate at least a part of the system that works and that I can rely on from the rest of the sytem that's likely to fail at some point sooner or later.

2 DSP Factories

My experiences with the DSP Factory has been mostly very good. Except for the software limitations mentioned in some of the other posts, I am very pleased with the results. Both live (up to 6 piece bands) and "live" in the studio these cards have given excellent results. Although the converters are older technology, they still sound nice. With recording sample rates up to 32 bits, the card won't be obsolete any time soon unless you must have 96 KHZ or higher. I usually record at 24 bits and prefer the sound to some of my friends recordings on newer cards with 24 bit converters at similar sample rates.

When I bought my first DS2416 more than a year and a half ago, it was impossible to find an AX44 I/O. After waiting for my local Pro Audio store to try to locate one, I decided to buy the last DS2416 they had in stock in order to have 4 analog ins. With my stand-alone CDRW deck converters into one of the SP/DIF inputs I could record 6 tracks at once.

This was essential for tracking combos live - the thing I do most. Recently, I purchased an M-Audio Duo to interface with the remaining SP/DIF port giving me 8 tracks at once.

The amazing thing is that I recently UPgraded my tracking computer from a Cyrix 110 MHZ processor to an AMD 233! With 128 MB of RAM and a second HDD (40GB but only 32GB available) for tracking, I have had no problem tracking 6 tracks at once - except that the meters had to be very small on the old computer or they tended to update too slowly.

I have recently found an older version of Cubase VST (4.6, I think) that gives me full control of the DSP Factory's effects processors. I was using Vegas Pro V.1 which not only did not support the effects, but I had to use my hardware mixer as well. Once I am familiar with Cubase, the full power of the DS2416 should be available.

Given the limited processor power available on my original tracking computer, a DSP-based system was necessary and the DS2416 was available for $299 CAN (about $200 US). The next lowest priced DSP-based system was close to $2K.

All things considered, this was the best solution for me then and remains viable. Especially considering that I was founding a company at the same time and had little money to put into my hobby. You could do a lot worse even compared to the "latest" technology.

Back