Yamaha DD55 vs. other standalone drum machines

jeffree

Just for anyone looking into standalone drum machines...

I've been searching for some months now, trying Roland and Zoom and Alesis models, and I finally found the machine for me: the Yamaha DD55, which I finally had a chance to try this weekend. I needed the machine for my small home studio work on a Yamaha AW16G, and for me, the DD55 turned out to be the nearly perfect answer. (The Boss 880 has even more going for it soundwise, but it's double the price and still can't be played anything like a real set of drums.)

IF, like me, you already know how to play drums... and IF, like me, you have no space for a full set of any type, then the Yammie could do the trick. I'm already having a blast actually playing the drum parts for my recordings with this machine, which plays well (almost like playing a mini-drum set) and sounds surprisingly good with its excellent stereo samples. Compared to pressing little buttons or programming someone else's samples, this machine allows me to write and play my own drum parts--using drum sticks, no less. Very sweet for a drummer-wanna-be like me.

If you're thinking that it looks like a toy, well, I'd agree somewhat. I'd even agree that it would be a great starter set for kids. But that fact in no way reduces its excellent useability for home-studio recordists like me. If you're interested in learning more, here's just one of the many user reviews I found online, nearly all of which were extremely positive:

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/drums-percussion/yamaha-dd55/417247/

I'm certainly not saying that it's the best choice for you, too, but if you're in the market, know how to play drums, and have very little space, I'd certainly add this little gem to your audition list. It won me over big-time with its easy playability and excellent samples. I have plenty of gripes about the machine, but they're small, especially considering the measely $200 tag.

Just one guitarist's perspective,

J.

I looked at the DD-55 for a long time and instead decided to go up a couple hundred bucks and get a Roland SPD-S.

6 pads, three edge triggers and the capability to plug in two more pads and two foot switches. Plus you can sample directly into the unit with a mic or line-in and you can even bring in samples (standard regular .wav files) from your PC using CompactFlash card) and built far sturdier than the DD-55. Quite a step up for very little more money.

Tim, I have no doubt that you're right about the "step up" in quality. For me, though, the extra $300 is too dear to me with 100 other studio items needed. (New Yam dd55s are under $200 now at some places online.)

I admit it's a cheap fix, but it did surprise the hell out of me when I tried it. If I had them, though, I wouldn't sell the v-drums, and definitely not the acoustic kit. All of the digital systems I've seen, especially the sub-$1000 ones, leave me wanting more.

Best,

J.

Back