Yamaha AW4416 or Roland VS2480

Benreturns

My local dealer has given me these two prices:

Ex demo Roland VS2480 for £1500

or

Brand new Yamaha AW4416

I know ultimately it depends on my needs but they both pretty much cover what im after. Id just like to know anybodys opinions on either unit??

Cheers

Yo Ben. {Ben is a nice name; it is also mine.]

Well, since I use the Yam 2816, I would naturally favor the Yam. I think the Yam FX is about the best on the market; but, then, that's only one opinion.

Roland, over the years, has put out some SIABs that have buttons that break easily; however, the unit you are looking at probably records as well as the the 4416. But, they don't make the 4416 anymore--I don't know if Yam even makes the 2816 anymore--Yamaha is offering the AG16 which is basically the same platform.

You might note that not too many new models of a SIAB came out of the summer shows. But, who knows.

I'd take the NEW box if I were you. "USED" gear never attracts me.

Laphroig neat for me.

Thanks mate,

Green Hornet :D ;) :D

Functionally, the Yamaha takes longer to back up. The whole procedure is a pain in the rump. I would say take the Roland.

Yammie

Hey,
I had an AW4416 for 2 years. Do NOT get it unless you want to spend the rest of your life doing simple tasks like mixing down and backing up etc. The quality of the machine is GREAT. It looks very impressive, and the effects are good. However, I'm up to a Motu 896HD now, but buying a Lexicon Omega 300 dollar box just for mastering showed me really quickly that I could work MUCH more efficiently on the computer. Go Computer if you can, if not, go roland. They have attacked some of the short-commings of the yammie I believe. Like a VGA port for a computer monitor. Plus the Yammie screen caused buzzing in my guitar 25 feet away. Again, a mix down of the thing takes FOREVER. It is ridiculous. Plus you can't see waveforms. It is just too slow for anything practicle period.

Aw gosh darn it

Im very torn now. I will say, initially the Yamaha was my first choice due to the fact physically there are more knobs to tweak and looking at photos this seems to be the more intuative unit because of that. Also the seperate in built meter display. Also you cant beat buying new!

I will be mixing down to an external unit (Masterlink) and will be using whatever I get to do the following.

Track! Using maily one XLR mic at a time. I want channel inserts to hook up my compressor on the way in. The Yammie has 2 X inserts on channels one and two with the XLR inputs. I cant actually find anywhere that tells me if the Roland has any. (anyone?)

Record at pref 24 bit/96k for at least 16 tracks. ( I THINK the Yammie can do this but if you use that quality level on the roland you loose about 12 tracks?! Can anyone confirm this?)

Apply at least 2 sets of outboard FX units via send and return. Which is the easier to apply of the two units?

Apply EQ to my tracks as fast as possible! What i mean by this is the less pages of display info to go through with a jog wheel and channel select buttons etc to apply a little bit more low end on a whim the better. Thats another point in favour for the Yammy - its got dedicated knobs on the flip up display. I can just select a track and apply?? Again, any help appreciated on this matter...

Mix down to my Masterlink!

Thanks for the opinions - the £1500/1600 is alot of money for me to splash out and I would like to be fully informed before I decide on one as you can imagine!! Ask the experts I say...

I only own a vs880EX and a 1680, but afaik, no inserts on the roland. But with a roland you might prefer something like an audio buddy or rnp as pre anyway. The pres imho arew not too good with the roland. I heard the yammie pres were not too bad, but ...

Imho, the yammie compression is nicer, I did not like the yammie fx as much as the roland ones when toying with them... But then again, I know how to tweak them at the vs.

IMO, using a computer is a complete inspiration killer, but I work with them boxes all day...

aXel

Again

With the Yammie...sound is killer. It is miserable to use. Fun to eq and apply effects, but miserable to do the stuff that is a cinch now that I am computer based. The Boss BR1180s and stuff like that isn't as slow as the Yamaha. I am talking, RIDICULOUSLY slow.

Ive discovered the solution to this problem -

Akai DPS24 - this looks spot on and apparently a very intuative interface!!

Back