Yamaha AW4416 Issues

Taylor H.

I love what this machine can do, but HELP! I spent all day with my son recording a great new tune of his, but during mix down, I tried to put effects on the lead vocal. It's been a while since we recorded, and I've never mastered how to use the effects.

Anyway, I gave up on trying to put some 'verb on his voice, but when I tried to mix the tracks down to stereo, the vocal track could not be heard.

I know the track is still there, because I can see the signal in the VU meter.

Can anyone please kindly tell me how I can reset to retrieve the vocal audio in the mix? Everything else is there but the vocal. Very frustrating!

THANK YOU for any information you can provide.

Taylor

Tayor,
I still own my AW4416, although it is not my primary recording platform anymore. I did record on it for several years. What I use it for now mostly is a 24 channel digital live sound mixer. I am not in front of the desk right now, but a couple of principles to remember is to make sure what you are looking at. There are mixing layers for every function of the unit. Mixer input 1-16. Mixer input 17-24 plus stereo returns 1 and 2 which by default are the internal FX returns, and monitor of the recorded tracks. On the left side of the desk is the mixing layer section. Choose Home then monitor and it will take you to your recorded track mix. Then select the recorded channel you want to edit - the button above the fader. Then near the top of the left side choose the view button and it will take you to the edit page of the recorded track. Make sure that is selected to stereo left and right for a mono track, then you can pan the track as desired. By default the auxilliary channels 7 and 8 are the internal FX sends. You can send an input from any recorded (or input channel) by hitting the Aux 7 and / or Aux 8 button obove the mixing layer section to the fx bus. Make sure that the stereo FX return faders (hit mixing layer 17-24) the 2 last channel 15 and 16 is your stereo returns for that layer. Make sure they are on and assigned to the main mix and pulled up to unity gain. You can also edit your effects, choose from dozens of different effects. I can give much more help and you may know all of this and some of your other settings may be changed - for instance the return channels could have been changed to return another input. It gets pretty complicated pretty quickly. However i will tell you that I believe the Yamaha AW4416 was a massive breakthough achievement back in its day. It can record up to 16 channels simultaneously at 24/48 uncompressed digital audio. It has virtually no latency at all. It has 8 virtual mix tracks for every one of the 16 tracks. Besides the FX it has dynamics processors (very good compressors, expanders, companders etc., etc., etc.) assignable to every input, output and recorded track. And does it all flawlessly. The thing is still a great machine to this day. There are limitations such as only 8 physical inputs. You have to purchase option card to increase your I/O, but it still one of the best all in one MTR's to this day and that is saying a lot considering it was introduced in 2001 I believe.

Tayor,
I still own my AW4416, although it is not my primary recording platform anymore. I did record on it for several years. What I use it for now mostly is a 24 channel digital live sound mixer. I am not in front of the desk right now, but a couple of principles to remember is to make sure what you are looking at. There are mixing layers for every function of the unit. Mixer input 1-16. Mixer input 17-24 plus stereo returns 1 and 2 which by default are the internal FX returns, and monitor of the recorded tracks. On the left side of the desk is the mixing layer section. Choose Home then monitor and it will take you to your recorded track mix. Then select the recorded channel you want to edit - the button above the fader. Then near the top of the left side choose the view button and it will take you to the edit page of the recorded track. Make sure that is selected to stereo left and right for a mono track, then you can pan the track as desired. By default the auxilliary channels 7 and 8 are the internal FX sends. You can send an input from any recorded (or input channel) by hitting the Aux 7 and / or Aux 8 button obove the mixing layer section to the fx bus. Make sure that the stereo FX return faders (hit mixing layer 17-24) the 2 last channel 15 and 16 is your stereo returns for that layer. Make sure they are on and assigned to the main mix and pulled up to unity gain. You can also edit your effects, choose from dozens of different effects. I can give much more help and you may know all of this and some of your other settings may be changed - for instance the return channels could have been changed to return another input. It gets pretty complicated pretty quickly. However i will tell you that I believe the Yamaha AW4416 was a massive breakthough achievement back in its day. It can record up to 16 channels simultaneously at 24/48 uncompressed digital audio. It has virtually no latency at all. It has 8 virtual mix tracks for every one of the 16 tracks. Besides the FX it has dynamics processors (very good compressors, expanders, companders etc., etc., etc.) assignable to every input, output and recorded track. And does it all flawlessly. The thing is still a great machine to this day. There are limitations such as only 8 physical inputs. You have to purchase option card to increase your I/O, but it still one of the best all in one MTR's to this day and that is saying a lot considering it was introduced in 2001 I believe.

I hereby hand over the official title of AW4416 First Responder to you Adam, given I no longer have mine and the memory is fading. Indeed it was a great machine.

OP - you just have to master the layered aspect of the machine, in terms of how the faders are working and what they're currently controlling. Effects, as Adam's said, are done via the Aux 7 & 8 buses, and it's all pretty easy once you understand the layers. Go back to MON and see if your track fader isn't at infinity, would be a first start.

Thank you, Adam. I'll go through this checklist as soon as I can get back to it. I appreciate your feedback.

I hope this is okay with this forum, but i would like to direct you to a forum of sorts. Google, :) yahoo email groups aw4416 and it should direct you to an email group forum that you can join. They are a group dedicated to the yammie aw series and in particular the flagship of all aw recorders before and after, the AW4416. I just checked to see if it was still active and it is! Although not nearly like it was 8 years ago when I was learning this great recorder. This forum is probably 90+% computer based recording. There you can get much more detailed support from active users of the AW. Although I will be glad to help you all I can, many of those folks were even beta testers of the unit way back! Good luck.
Adam:)

Back