Yamaha AW16G vs. Tascam 788

DaveDrummer

Hi everyone. I record my 4-5 piece band a lot. I have many plugins on my computer and i thinik these many plugins make my mixes rival studios to some extent. we play hard rock/blues/jazz. Zeppelin, ACDC, Cream, etc. Anyway, I use a Tascam 414 tape deck. Its been great, but its time to move on. my guitars sound too thin, the bass is muddy, and etc. Anway, im only 16 and I have a job so I can afford a pretty nice digital workstation. I was looking at the 788, but it only has 4 inputs, vs the Yamahas 6 (or 8?). The yamaha also has 16 tracks where the 788 has 8, and it comes with a CD-RW drive. It can also export wav without an update, which I think is really cool(move individual instrument tracks to the computer).

With the AW16G, I could record drums seperate, get them the way I like them, then mixdown to one stereo track with no loss in audio.

My real question is: would I notice any difference in sound between these two models? how about compared to my 414 tape deck? I know its obviously, but will it be like night and day or just a slight difference in sound. Anyway, if were doing the vintage sounding stuff I still have PSP vintage warmer. How many hours of audio can fit while recording 6 tracks live in 16-bit? (on a 20GB drive) Thanks guys

Dave

Back