Yamaha AW16G - registered track listing problem.

Kevin Blight

I've just bought a Yamaha AW16g digital multitracker. I have had it a couple of days and done a couple of songs. I recorded a song to CD which worked fine, I was very happy with the results, but after I recorded the second track (after mixing it down to the Stereo track) its name doesn't appear in the list of tracks to register - I tried copying the stereo to another virtual track, re-mixing it, moving it, exchanging it etc. Getting frustrated here, and I could use a quick fix. Everything else about the machine seems OK. Is there something I'm missing? Would appreciate any comments or assistance from people with more experience than me with this machine. Ta.

Yo Kev:

I'm sure someone will answer and tell you to check out the AW16 site started by someone here who bought that unit.

I use the 2816 and from what you state, I think maybe you are not SAVING the stereo track. You have to save it when you are happy with the results -- also, you can only have ONE stereo track for each song you record. So, if you want to do the song over or add something on another track, you have to erase the original stereo track in order to re-record another.

The directions for saving the stereo track are not very clear in my manual and I suppose the same is true for yours. But, if you don't save it after you are happy with your tweaking, it won't appear in the stereo song list to burn CD.

Green Hornet :D ;) :p :cool: :D

Kev, I'm not sure what you're describing when you use the word "register." Hornet might be right: if you don't save after your burn the stereo track, then nothing will appear if you try to burn to CD. There's something else to know about CD burning, too: when you click on "new" to add tracks to burn, you can then highlight any of the new tracks and jog (with dial) to change each selected track to one not originally shown.

In short, if you can let us know more about what's happening, we can help--and by "we," I mean the large number of 16G users found at www.aw16g.com, a wonderful site filled with wonderful, dedicated people. Well, or something like that.

Good luck,

J.

Thanks for the responses guys. I re-mixed to a new stereo track after deleting the old one, saved the song and then tried to access the track to burn to CD, but it wasn't there. The first song still appears in the list. If you go into edit mode you can pull up the stereo track, and it appears OK in the 'track' screen, just isn't available in the CD screens when you hit the 'new' button. I'm certain that I did nothing different than when I burned the first song. Still banging my head against the wall at the moment. I'll check out the AW16 website....how popular is this machine???

Yo Kev:

The AW16 is a very popular item.

Regarding your problema: You need to use the jog wheel to access the stereo tracks on the CD menu.

When you hit "new" then use the jog wheel to get to the song you want to burn; then, you hit it with the cursor and go to "new" and fill in the rest like "protect" or not.

Do you go to Utility to set up your "test" for burning CDR?

That comes before you go to the menu of songs on your stereo save bank.

I'm sure you are just missing one small step -- I did that too for a while. Check out the AW16 site and they will surely solve your glitch.

Green Hornet :D :p :cool:

Kev, we're all on the same page. Hornet and I suggested the following in different ways, so let's try this:

Go to the CD-write screen

CLICK NEW (a song will load)

Click the cursor on the loaded song (if it's not the one you want)

Use the jog wheel to change the song to the one you want

(After you've loaded a song, any song, you can use the above technique to change the song to another one--before burning)

Make sense? Let us know if it works.

J.

Yo Kevin:

Forgot to mention: when you select "new" in the CD burning process, then you get the visible song, probably will be the first song title you did. Like I currently have about 22 songs on file all done in a stereo track. When I put in a new one, I always get the first title after selecting "NEW" and have to scroll to the song I'd like to use or redo.

THEN, you use the "value" turn gizzmo which is inside of the jog wheel to scroll through your current song list. After that, you select whichever one you want and load it.

But, as mentioned, only one stereo track per song. And, as you know, you can erase it and redo it as many times as you like.

I'm assuming that your SIAB and my SIAB have the same type or similar type of controls, which I think they do.

Green Hornet :p :cool: :D

Whoo-hoo!!!

Most excellent advice from you guys. Thanks to you all! Yep, works a treat, but a pity the manual wasn't very clear (at least to my poor brain - Doh!) It was an intelligence test, and I flunked it. Ah well, at least I know where to come the next time...I have to say what a great machine this is. I am going to have such a lot of fun with this thing. Once again thanks a lot.
K

Glad to hear of your success, but I have to clarify a couple of comments from our esteemed colleagues. The 16G allows you to
record 8 stereo tracks (not just 1) although you need to select a different (virtual) track via the "Monitor" button and "Stereo Track" icon. That way, you can compare different stereo tracks; just be sure you select the one you want before burning it to CD.

Best,

J.

Yo Kev & Jeffree:

Are you saying that the AW16 can have 8 different stereo tracks to choose from on the stereo song list?

This would be something new to me and it should also be possible to do on the 2816.

However, the manual states that there can be only one stereo track for each set of recorded tracks. Like 5 tracks are mixed to the two track stereo tracks which, then, can be burned to CD.

Or, are you saying that you can pick out the virtual tracks and mix them to a stereo track? If so, you would still only be able to have ONE stereo track on the stereo song list to burn to CD.

Am I wrong or am I missing something I should know about the 2816/AW16?

Thanks,

Green Hornet :D :p :cool:

Hornet, I can't believe that I might actually be able to teach you--the guy who has helped me on numorous occasions--something about the Yamahas (at least about the 16G). I'm honored.

What I said is true for the 16G although I'm not sure I can explain it here easily. I can use the RECORD/MIXDOWN function to record 8 different (master) stereo tracks: each master track can be set up completely differently, with special EQ, effects, dynamics, etc.

But yes, I can only burn *one at a time to CD*. Before, or after, bringing up the CD/RECORD screen, I need to bring up the MONITOR/STEREO TRACK screen to specify which (of the 8 possible) virtual track I'll record. It's a helpful feature if I want to burn one to CD, then go back and click on a second virtual track, then burn it, too, and so forth--until I have up to 8 masters recorded. Nice for comparing mixes before deciding on just one.

Does this make sense, or have I left something out?

Best,

J.

Yo Jeffree:

Each time I click on this site I LEARN something.

I'm sure the 2816 has a similar set up. What I think I understand is that each "set of tracks" can be called up to record a stereo track which, then, can be burned to CD.

I have a DX-7 synth and it took me about three years to understand that beast -- it's a great synth.

Thanks for the input and the chance to learn more.

Green Hornet :D :p :D :cool: :cool:

G. Hornet,

I know exactly what you mean: I have had my Yamaha QY700 for four years, now, and I still don't have the full understanding of the machine. Right now, I am about four months into my AW16G, and - what with the knowledge & help from people like you, and others - I am always learning something new, and loving this remarkable piece of equipment even more. Yes...it's all good.

Blessings,

Nate

Well this is my first foray into the Digital World (apart from watching the Matrix about 40 times). I cannot believe why I didn't take the plunge years ago...except that they were so incredidibly expensive! It has transformed my sound astonishingly. I have had this thing for just over a week and I don't seem to do anything else other than walk the dog and go to work! To think of how I struggled with my old Fostex and thought I was doing pretty well...The only gripe I have is that I seem to get some unexplained crashes. It's re-set itself a few times, once seemed to be in connection with a track marker that I was jumping to. It hit this marker, locked up, and then re-set itself. I couldn't delete the marker because I couldn't get to it without it crashing out again. Is this a common problem or have I got a duff machine?

Kevin,

I don't have a whole lot of track-hours on my machine, but I do play very, VERY frequently with markers, and can say that I have never ever had a problem with any associated lock-ups. In fact, I have never had any type of lock-up, or the machine re-setting itself. Whatever is the causative factor behind your problem, I do sincerely hope that you lock upon some corrective measure. Let us know how you make out.

Blessings

Nate

Yeah, Kevin, lots of hours on my Yammie, too, with no lock-ups of any kind. I'd check it out, beginning with a call to Yama and speaking with a good techie. (I use and like Ed Blackmore in the L.A. office.)

Good luck,

J.

I'll give them a call to see what they think and I'll report back.
I'm wondering if there was some kind of conflict between 2 different markers occupying the same point, such as a punch in marker and a simple marker. It certainly hasn't happened on any other tracks that I have done so far so that's a relief.

Back