Yamaha Aw16G or KorgDk1600?

SappyHad

Hey everyone i'm looking to buy one of these two, and am wondering your opinions on which one is better? It will mostly just be me recording one track at a time, sometimes two vocals at once. Not really gonna be doing band recording.

I'm upgrading from a boss br-532

Thanks a ton

Eric J.

Aw16g

I bought the AW16G last summer. It's difficult for me to figure out, but other people think it's easy. Don't know anything about the Korg.

You'll definitely need an external preamp for the G for vocals, you can't get a high enough level with the G's built-in preamps. I just bought a M-Audio DMP3.

You may want to go to www.dijonstock.com, it's a site for the G. You'll get a pretty good idea about it there. And if you buy it, you'll need to use the forums there to figure out how to use it.

Rob

I bought an AW16G about 3 months ago and I love it. I get better recordings out of it then I did with my HD24 setup. It took me about a week to figure it out from front to back. What I did was record a few friends to get some stuff to- play with and went to town. I also read the manuel cover first thing. I've learned that if take the time to do that it makes learning a unit so much easyer. You'll love the G - I really like how I can dump a whole song onto a CD in WAV form in about 1 minute and then edit and all on the PC. You can also use it as a controler or many DAW like Sonar and Cubase which is a plus.

People are different

Well there you have it. DeepWater read the manual once and understood the AW16G in a week. I've read the manual several dozen times, downloaded and read Yamaha's Recording 101 and the Signal Routing document several times. I've posted questions on the forum numerous times. But 7 months later I still can't figure the thing out. I can record, mix and burn a simple song, but can't use 80% of the features of the AW16G. So if you're good at figuring out how to navigate things with LCD screens, the G could be for you. But if you're like me, the G's user-interface will be confusing. But probably all the other digital multitrack recorders would confuse me also, so I don't see a reason to trade in the G for another one.

Rob

The only functions on the G I have not used is the sampling functions. But for recording, editing, Eqing, adding effects, punch ins (those a breeze) mixing down, making wav file its a walk in the park.

If you have problems drop me a PM

I've got the "g" as well and love the friggin' thing.
It's the heart of my home studio setup right now.

Don't buy it for the sampling stuff - that's just some crappy bonus they kind of threw in I guess.

I've had mine for a year and am just now getting "serious" about recording.
The only piece of external gear right now is an ART DMP preamp I just got from eBay a few days ago. The G's preamps are pretty good.

All the stuff here I recorded with the G:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/sloanstewartmusic.htm

If you've got any questions about it, just ask!

I have the AW16G for about 3 days and I also LOVE it. I was used to a Akai DPS12 and because this workstation has way more functions it's obviously a little more complicated but with the user guide (which is OK, I've seen much worse) it's not that hard and kinda becomes a second nature very soon. I've already transferred WAV files from my DPS12 to this AW16G, it took some time to "arrange" them to the correct starting point but when that's done, it's GREAT and the mastering, EQ and effects are all a tad better. :p

Only thing that I can't get to work properly (or I don't understand) is the individual track settings on the mixer e.q. EQ, dynamics, effects, PAN etc. When I save a song, these settings should be saved automatically but when I load a previously save song it seems to "inherit" the settings from the song I worked on before and not loading the settings that (I think) were saved with the song. I think you don't have to use "scenes" to save mixer settings for a song (although you can of course if you want multiple scenes) so I'm probably doing something wrong here... anybody please?

Rgrds, PV

Another vote for the AW16g.

I use it to it's fullest capacity with an external sequencer clocked to send program changes to change scenes and an external midi fader box for the input and sample pad and efx return levels.

It's not necessary to get this deep into it to have a blast with the thing though, and I disagree about the sampling --- it is limited, but does expand the capabilities. And if, like me, your experience with sampling goes back to the Mirage days any sampling is good sampling...

PeeVee, when you open up a song, any scenes that you might've saved with it are not automatically restored. Once you bring a song up, click on the scene button and recall the scene you want.

AW16 vs KorgDK1600

SappyHad said:
Hey everyone i'm looking to buy one of these two, and am wondering your opinions on which one is better? It will mostly just be me recording one track at a time, sometimes two vocals at once. Not really gonna be doing band recording.

I'm upgrading from a boss br-532

Thanks a ton

Eric J.

yeah, been watching this too.
yammie MD8 has been nothing but awesome, so the AW16
has credibility...Yamaha.

D1600 has alot of sweet posts too.

this is tuffer than monitors..or passives or actives or amps...

what do you think of ebay? alot of D1600's there and fewer
AW16...maybe says something.

hell, whtthefhk?
i feel like I've owned 20 different monitors and haven't even
bought any!!! crazymancrazy

Armistice has the right idea...You can find the AW4416 cheap around ebay. I've had one for 3 years now. Wouldn't trade it for a PC.........or a Korg for that matter......

AW4416 is much better than the 16G.

Back