Yamaha AW 4416

I have one. It is not perfect, but it is a very good machine. I boughtit because I wanted some portability. I chose the AW because I thought it would interface well with the computer (when I was ready to mix the live/synth tracks). With the Adat card, it interfaces great with the computer. There are a few things people don't like, but most of the feedback has been pretty good. Here is a user group devoted to the AW... check the message board for bugs etc.

http://www.socialentropy.com/aw4416/

Thanks for the URL. I finally saw it at Mars Music. Two things struck me: 1) It is much larger than the pics indicate and 2) It sounds great.

Yo guys:

I do like Yamaha products; however, what is the LEARNING CURVE OF THIS NEW RECORDER? I'll bet it's a three year learning curve unless you are in the super understanding group like Dobro and Ed and a few of the other talents on this site.

Green Hornet

Look, GH... You've been around here for a long time, relatively speaking, so I know you'll forgive me for saying this, but putting me in the same category with Ed is like lumping Kraft process cheese slices in with Swiss Emmenthal. I mean, I don't *like* being the equivalent of process cheese slices, but with this amount of ignorance, what choice do I have? You know what I've got going for me? Number of posts.

Next point: I've always enjoyed your being here and your 'Yo ______' and your enthusiasm.

Finally, these standalones are designed for people like me (and possibly you) - the ones who find making things work just a little bit confusing. The only thing that keeps me from buying one and simplifying my life considerably is that, from reading *lots* of posts on this site, I'm absolutely convinced that Ed is right when he says (and I hope I get this right because loads of people are going to read this, including Ed) the Way To Go (*IF* you can get the bastard to work) is... track to ADAT, mix in software, and get your stuff mastered by someone who knows what they're doing.

Finally, what I'm saying is this: go for the AW4416 if you're attracted to it, and the reason I say that is because, for the home recordist, it's good gear. Ditto the Alesis Masterlink. I'm talking home recordists, mind. :) I may even join you in this - I'm attracted to both these boxes myself :D

ADAT?

Dobro (and Ed)

"the Way To Go (*IF* you can get the bastard to work) is... track to ADAT, mix in software, and get your stuff mastered by someone who knows what they're doing."

Why track to ADAT when you can track, edit, mix, and master on a hard drive?

I am a newbie, so if the answer is obvious, please forgive me.

aL

that thing is bigger than feckus! i personally like the automated faders, and the fader linking. its huge, it sounds good. BUT IT DOESNT HAVE AN ANALOG MIXER!!!!!!! i think these standalone units would be that much better if they had analog mixers attached. and somewhat nonlinear editing. its just annoying i sat down to play at mars, and i moved the faders to get a nice sound, then i look around, "wheres the pan knob???" i saw that there are menus and i got up and ran for my life. i went and huged a 24*8 buss and i felt better.

Alin - loads of engineers (and well-to-do) homerecordists use 'em and swear by 'em. They sound good and do what they're supposed to most of the time - more reliable than tracking with a computer. I'm reporting what I've heard here - ADATs are often praised and seldom bashed. Here's a recent thread from the Alesis forum to check out:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=19253

There are others there as well, and easy to find.

YO DOBRO of ORBOD:

Sorry if I compared you with respected talent; I don't get the cheese analogy but it may curdle others....

The number of posts one makes does not make much posting significance unless something posted is worth reading and when read learning takes place and when learning takes place knowledge is shared and when knowledge is shared people communicate and when people communicate understanding is engendered and when understanding is engendered the world is a better place.

So if I have made a faulty comparison, I'll lock Kato in the basement for a fortnight.

Green Hornet

AW-4416 in Germany

Hello All, I live in Munich Germany at the moment but am an American and plan to move back to the states soon. But I wanted to go ahead and buy a new multi-tracker here. I was wondering what the Yamaha AW-4416 was going for in the states. The cheapest one I can find in the stores here is roughly $3,250. If they are only 2 Grand back home I will just wait. But if that is comparable or better then the states then please let me know. Also, I have asked this question before but I will ask it again hoping to get ahold of someone that already owns this machine... When I buy this machine in Europe with the 220V power, will it work in America and what all will I have to do to make the switch. I am an electronic kindergartner so please keep it simple. Do I go to Radio Shack and get a $50 adapter or do i have to get Yamaha to give me a new transformer and get someone to open up the machine and install a new power supply. Is there only a switch on the back? What? The cost is more important than the 2nd question but please help me out in whatever way you can. Also, if there is another machine that is comparable in quality but cheaper then please let me know that as well.
Oh yeah and I am a completel beginner at this all. I have PLAYED in bands and been recorded hundreds of times but never recorded anything. SHould I reconsider before I buy such an expensive and complicated thing? Or is it best to just dive in a get my whole body wet instead of just me feet? Thanks guys,

Mike

OOPS I forgot

CAn anyone tell me how I can lay my hands on an owners manual for the AW 1446. I know it is a dumb request but I want to see how the thing is set up and how it works, and since I am in Germany it is a bit dificult to just go to a store and start puching buttons on it, and all the manuals here are in German only. I know that Yamaha publishes their owners manuals on the internet but not all of them. I can't download that monster can I? Can I buy one? What shoudl I do? I e-mailed Yamaha and they told me to contact the UK office. Well I don't know how to do that. ANyway, any advice????

Mike

:Yo: Pisces 7873 BINGO:

The price you mention is a little less than what is being advertised at the moment for the Yam 1446.

With CD the Sam Ash price is: 3299.00.

With only the HD: price is 3099. pezzutos.

So, if you are going for that unit, you might want to consider the CD add-on since everyone and their mammas are mixing to CD.

I'm looking at units right now so I can mix to CD with my MD8 -- however, I don't expect to keep the MD8 forever. I want to move on to a unit that does not compress the signal.

Good luck over there and
just get Sam Ash on line or any of the other major sellers and ask then for a free catalog.

Another good US source is: Full Compass, also available on line.

Green Hornet

Dobro,

I don't mean to split hairs (nor do I want to put words in Ed's mouth or the cyber-equivalent), but I think Ed usually suggests mixing "to" computer from an analog console.

I think that would be my preference too, because big-ass mixers are fun to play with. I just couldn't justify going the ADAT route for the set-up I could afford (the studiopack). $2000 for 8 tracks and bottom-of-the-rack effects?

My thinking was that the Akai DPS16 was the closest thing I could get with my great expectations and small budget. I guess I sacrificed expandability for an extra 8 tracks and lots of DSP effects. It will be all I need until I finish school and make more than 4 grand a year.

And since I have your audience, Dobro and Hornet, could I interest either of you in some sub-contract term paper writing?

lazyboy - you're probably right, but that's one of the things I just don't understand about this recording gaff - the extensive use of consoles by a lot of people. From where I'm sitting, it looks like a hangover from the days when that was the only way you could do it. If you're tracking to an ADAT (or to any digital medium) and if you're mixing in software, why do you need a mixer for anything other than listening to what you're doing? I've asked this question before and it's fallen flat.

If you can answer it for me, then the angel of assignments will smile on your next effort. :D

GH - let me know what it's like when you finally get one of these boxes. :)

The reason for the console (for me) is to get a shit-load of pres that are quiet enough to do the job. At home, when it's just me and my guitar the console stays in the SKB case.
But it sure is a lot of fun playing with all those buttons and knobs and sliders and stuff.... :)

I can't say for sure if this is better than a whole bank of cheap tube pres since I don't own even one ART pre, but I paid $53 for each pre in my A&H mixer (assuming the rest was free!) and they compete well with the two in my dbx 386.

Sounds like a bargain to me.

Okay, I'll give it a shot-

I think the first, easiest answer is that analog mixers are just way nicer to use than a mouse and computer moniter. All of your settings are laid out in front of you. Even when you're not tweaking the knobs, you get a much better global view of what's going on with regard to levels, eq, pans, sends, returns, etc.

From the ADAT, you run each track back to a mixer channel. From here you have full control over just about everything and you can make use of your high quality EQ's, group buses, top-of-the-rack outboard effects. And so on. You can get really creative with patching too, if you're into that. Add this to the first point and you're into an experience that cannot be duplicated in software.

You may be right on the hangover point in the respect that analog mixing recalls the days of wiring schematics that you could follow with your index finger, actually thats exactly what it is. It is intuitive because it is more like the things we're used to. I suppose there will come a time when microchips are the standard by which we'll all understand electronics, but it seems too much like guesswork to me.

With a set-up like Ed's, you are actually doing analog mixing and using your computer as your mixdown deck. All of the mixing and processing has been done before you get to the computer. I'm sure he'll be able to explain this much more elegantly and thoroughly than I have. I've only recently graduated from the Tascam 424, so I'm going on theory more than experience. And besides, we're hogging up somebody else's thread :)

Now, the real issue: I need a 10 page paper on some aspect of American grammar; sort of a descriptive vs. prescriptive piece, and any pedagogical implications. Do you teach ESL/EFL? My ESL classmates have no trouble with this stuff, but for me it's pure agony. Oh, and I have to present it Tuesday night!

Back