Yam.2816 & drum sounds

Wrangler

How do I record sampled drum sounds into a Yamaha 2816.
I'm really clueless on this part of the whole rcording thing.
What do I need to buy? Who makes the good stuff? etc.....
Thanks!!

Howdy Wrangler:

I use the Yam 2816. I record drums from a drum machine. But, I'm not quite sure about your problema.

You have drum samples which means you have drum sounds, maybe on a CD? I'm not sure.

I would say you need to get the drum track and chords down, and then overdub from there.

You have plenty of tracks on the 2816 to record the drums. However you get the sampled sound, it has to "play" and fed into the 2816 on one or more tracks via 1/4 inch feeds or the XLR feed.

From track #1 on the 2816, you can route your sound to any track using the quick record function.

I often pipe CD background music right out of the can plug on my integrated amp and record it on the 2816. So, whatever way you get up the drum sounds, you have to feed them into the 2816 and record them and I would guess you would be overdubbing.

Hope this helps out some.

Green Hornet :D :cool:

Hey Green Hornet,

Thanks for answering but I must have given the impression that I already had drum samples. I do not. I have nothing. I need info on the drum samples themselves. Do I need a sampler? Are there plug ins for the Yamaha that I can use? Do I need a keyboard or something to trigger the sounds?

As I said, I am completely clueless on this topic. Feel free to speak to me like I am an idiot.

Thanks again!

Yo Wrangler:

For sure, you are just seeking an answer LIKE I look for everyday regarding the art of recording good stuff.

You have the 2816 -- a good box -- it will give you really good sounds once you get the hang of it -- the manual is weak but it will get through to you if you read and read.

Drums: I use a drum machine. I just run it right into any channel I want. Now, drum machines can be programmed and you can write out every measure; however, it takes a long time to write the drum sequence. So, I just use the pre-sets which are very flexible and creative and you can always add beats on other tracks, like cymbals, knocks, bangs, etc.

With any type of drum delivery, you need to plug it in to the recorder and the source must generate sound either line level or you can run it through a mic pre for even better sound.

So, if I read you right, you need a drum machine or something "live" to do drums. Live is much tougher to record. A simple drum machine can get you through lots of good stuff. I use the Boss 770; but, I started with a Yam drum box, then an Alesis SR-16 -- the Boss is the best of the three -- technology just keeps getting better but drum machines kind of took a rest for a few years.

I'd suggest you try to get an audition of a drum machine at a vendor or from a friend. Piping it into your 2816 is no problem. If you have problems with the 2816, give it time. Also, check page 12 on your manual which tells you HOW TO shut down the 2816.

You will also need to consider getting a UPS power back up. It does mention somewhere in the manual that if you lose power while recording and have no power back up, you can blow the Hard Drive or lose everything on the hard drive. It's a small investment for the protection it offers.

Hope this helps you out and let me know if I can offer any help with your 2816.

Green Hornet :D ;) :cool:

Thanks again, GH.
I have most of the basic operational stuff under control. Actually, you helped me out a bit last fall when I first bought the 2816.

Up until now, everything I did was acoustic and I had no real need for drums.
I've been recording my friend's songs and they have electric guitar parts. These tunes just scream out for drums.

I think my girlfriend's ex left a Roland drum machine at her house. Maybe I'll borrow that.

I hear people speak of plug ins. Is that something I shoud investigate. That's the stuff that really escapes me.

Yo Wrangler:

"Plug-ins," I believe, are for PC recording programs.

In reality, the 2816 is a miniature PC with a small screen and slower because you have to move the cursor around to select.

You should have some fun with the Roland drum box. Take a nice funky blues pattern and add some tracks. As I mentioned, I like to get the chords and drums down and then overdub. If you goof up it's easy to push "redo" the track and run it again.

Later you can try some CD background music and then do your vocals. I dig the CD background stuff because USUALLY, the music is all balanced and reverbed -- just need to record it. Sometimes, though, you'll find you need to add a touch of reverb if the music was recorded on the dry side.

Glad to help out.

Green Hornet :D :cool: :D

Back