ya gotta wonder

ahuimanu

Each and every version of Cubase (regardless if you bought it from Steinberg or got it bundled with hardware) comes with at least two manual documents - getting started and a deeper and proper manual.

While many questions here are legitimately from people who have made attempts to understand their software, why do so many ask questions that are so obvious to find in manuals? Are we feeding trolls and crackheads here?

I'm no "expert" and don't want to seem high and mighty, but I thought home recorders were "do-it-yourself"-type people? For the last two versions of Cubase I've purchased, I've usually picked up an additional supplemental book to shed light in the darker corners of the manual. So many questions asked here are basic that just glancing at the introduction chapter of the manual would address them.

If so many are this lazy, I wonder what their tunes sound like?

Then again, I certainly know some wizards who won't crack a manual if their lives depended on it - and yet theses same wizards seem to pick things up along the way.

You think maybe some of the simpler questions are coming from this crowd?

Thats a good point, but, if like me, you hate the thought of dredging through a manual it may just be easier to hear it from a 'human' on a message board.

I guess the type of person who would rather hear it from a message board would probably be the type of person who prefers to learn as they go along (if I'm anything to go by). For instnace, I very rarely read the VST manual, but knew that programme inside out and back to front..... Well, the audio side anyway. Upgrading to SX is just an annoyance as I have to relearn all the little shortcuts and useful elements I tool for granted in VST.

Just the flip-side of the arguement, although it is a weak one. You are ofcourse, right ahuimanu.

I would like to add a couple of points (although I many ways I do agree with you).

1. Many of the "Cracked" versions of Cubase that are out there do not include the manuals. That's why when I see a question that is very basic I will usually first direct the person to the sofware manual. If they appear to have a problem with that it's a pretty good indicator that they are using a cracked copy.

2. I also think that in our day and age many people want to jump right in the the latest and greatest. They go out and buy a powerful software program like Cubase and then later find out they are in over their heads.

3. I agree that it is sometimes frustrating seeing the same questions asked over and over again. I know how frustrating this can be for those of us who frequent forums like this one. But we all have different learning abilities and speeds and for those of us who do understand how the program works we must sometimes endure a bit of pain :-) while tredging through posts at various forums.

I personally don't let it get to me too much. I chose the posts I wish to get involved with and ignore the others.

Last edited:
You guys are right. Some of the questions that are asked are clearly laid out in the manual. Then we get the outright requests for cracks....

I'm not sure how anyone could feel comfortable coming on to a BBS and asking for advice on how to setup their cracked software..

On the other hand - some people do receive a striped down version of Cubase with soundcards and they usually do not include a manual. This could account for some of the questions as well.

I think a lot may be motivated by laziness ..... Most just want to plug and play, without realizing that there are basic setup procedures that must be done. Like reading the manual and configuring the computer.
Also, to a beginner some of the software GUI's, manuals and general digital audio jargon can be rather intimidating. So they seek guidance through the forums.
Although in a way, I guess some of the rudimentary questions that get asked give us all something to do. :D
As far as the "cracked" users .... I don't even wanna go there ... just pisses me off. :mad:

thanks for the discussion.

I am certainly not an elitist (or at least I don't see myself that way), but the internet has given us all a voice and has created so much noise in the background these days. Think about the clown who came on here recently asking for a dongle crack. In hindsight, I am wondering why

1) we gave this thread any of our time
2) why it wasn't yanked right away.

I like homerecording.com (there are SOOOO many music/recording sites to choose from), it would be nice to see a level of quality maintained. Oops, that's elitist of me.

Last edited:
I'm new around here.
I am enjoying your comments on a lot of things...I think I have something to add to this discussion. I really don't want to offend anybody, so please take my comments as "MY OPPINION only".
I think that a lot of us in the home recording situation have been thrust there in a relatively short amount of time. I know I have.
Firstly I'd like to say that I have a degree in performance and composition, therefore my training as a technician is limited.
I feel that in the digital world, things can get mighty bundled and confusing, very very quickly. not only are you trying to write great music, you are also engineering and mastering in a virtual environment where everything is infront of you ALL THE TIME. Most instructors come from the 70s and 80s so there can be a lot of contradicting visions as to how to use hardware and software.
In the past the composer wrote the tunes, maybe knew a thing or two about midi and sequence (a few effects ect) but didn't really care about a lot of other problems (namely engineering and mastering problems).
This is a blessing and a curse in the new industry.
I hope that we don't get so wrapped up in our cool plug ins and true to life reverbs that we forget what it is we are really trying to do.
I personally don't see the home studio as the garage where I tweak and tinker with my virtual automobile. That's just my beef about a lot of attitudes towards this medium of expression that I have come across in my past few years as a digital musician.
Yes in life some of us are gifted with the patience to read through a manual, some of us are "do it yourselfers", and some of us have never even touched a mouse and are afraid of the word e-mail. Fine
I feel that on this forum, when someone asks a question, it should be treated with the utmost respect. Maybe they just overlooked something.Maybe they aren't all that gifted at reading through manuals, and would rather be instructed (I believe that human interaction is one of the most natural and thorough ways to learn).
For some I think the internet is like a virtual classroom, where we can see everybodies thoughts. rememeber the kid in the front of the classroom who used to raise his hand and asked the teacher the dumbest question in the world. Well...at least he asked, and now he knows.
I think maybe I got a little intimidated, because this posting came right after I asked my first question about my midi controller.
I hope not, I just wanted to know.
Anyways
Would be glad to discuss things with you all.
Paul

I think "intimidation" is the key word here. I'm just at the stage where I'm barely, barely beginning to get my legs under me, but the last six months or so have been a touch and go affair. It sounds corny, but the emotional support of knowing there are others out there able to help, not just some lifeless manual or indifferent service people, is at least as important as the ease of getting answers from them - though that's not inconsequential at all.

I've learned to love reading manuals, but I think even vets will agree that the average manual is a) very poorly written and organized and b) lacking information on about 50% of any given products features anyway.

I'd just like to state an addendum to my previous post in that, in no way did I mean to knock those who do ask any question (cracks excluded). No mater how trivial or rudimentary the question may seem, it is in essence the asker seeking knowledge. Be it from reading the manual (sometimes complex) or reading from the forums in a more personal and easily digestible context.
The only dumb questions are the questions that aren't asked.
We have all needed some form of help in understanding at one time or another. Whether we gained our understanding solely from manuals or a combination of manuals and forums, regardless of whether or not we ever asked questions or simply found what we needed through browsing others posts, we where at a quest for knowledge ourselves. The fact that most of us are even here in this forum points to the fact that we are still looking to learn or, at least, to help teach others.
Teaching is also learning, so we are all still learning.

Regards,

-Ken

ON a related note - I have a bone to pick with people not using the BBS search function before asking for the 100,000th time what monitors they should be looking at or why they shouldn't normalize!

I suppose we will, as ever, walk a fine line in these affairs.

To shut down and torture newbies with gruff and dismissive behavior is wrong as we should usually give a hand to the earnest up and comer.

However, so many DAW, Home Recording, Music forums are full of asses who have no respect and are just plain lazy: Crackheads being the LOWEST FORM OF LIFE.

However, as our discussion here has born out, some new guys (we're all at various stages of newbie-ness at any given moment in life anyhow) need interaction and nurturing to grow.

There are many fabulous introductory websites and books which can orient the new guy, but sometimes, they don't know what it is they should be searching for - other times, yes, they are asking "dude, where can I get a crack for my dongle? what's the most badazz monitors for my rig, etc. etc. etc."

Should I buy the yorkvilles or the Bx8's? Or should I just mix with headphones? Has anyone heard anything about the new Behringer truths? Whats your favorite guitar solo? Why is the sky Blue?

Back